Bullnose Forums

New member- 1984 Bronco

StraightSix

Welcome!

Thanks everybody!

DSC_2330.jpg.56fd54b3fbdd1359dc6afd9046356257.jpg

This is the bronco on highway 87 north of Mesa Arizona on the day I bought it. I wanted a bullnose bronco with a straight six and a granny low 4 speed. We are from Ga but when I saw it on the phoenix craigslist I called the guy up, asked some questions, agreed on a price, and bought a plane ticket. I checked not one but two tool boxes for the flight and bought every fluid, belt, thermostat etc imaginable in Phoenix before we left. It took us 4 days to get back home at 65 mph but we didnt have a single mechanical issue on the entire 2000 mile trip. It burned about 1/2 a quart of oil and thats all.

Thanks everybody!

This is the bronco on highway 87 north of Mesa Arizona on the day I bought it. I wanted a bullnose bronco with a straight six and a granny low 4 speed. We are from Ga but when I saw it on the phoenix craigslist I called the guy up, asked some questions, agreed on a price, and bought a plane ticket. I checked not one but two tool boxes for the flight and bought every fluid, belt, thermostat etc imaginable in Phoenix before we left. It took us 4 days to get back home at 65 mph but we didnt have a single mechanical issue on the entire 2000 mile trip. It burned about 1/2 a quart of oil and thats all.

That’s a cool story! Glad it made it home so easily.

And, it is certainly a nice looking Bronco. :nabble_smiley_good:

Welcome to the forum! :nabble_anim_handshake:

It takes a leap of faith to commit to a fly and drive sale.

Glad everything worked out. :nabble_smiley_cool:

That's a nice color combo, and probably the best choice for an AZ truck.

But no AC? Offf, I don't like that even here in New England!

You'll find that many, MANY members here enjoy the short WB/300 combination.

I often joke that this is the 300/Flareside owners club, but we all know consensus opinion like that in a group of enthusiasts can't be wrong (at least, here in the Garagemahal :nabble_smiley_wink:)

I often joke that this is the 300/Flareside owners club, but we all know consensus opinion like that in a group of enthusiasts can't be wrong (at least, here in the Garagemahal :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Thanks! I was nervous for sure. I thought that the lack of AC might be a problem but so far its not so bad. Ive driven it a good bit down here in the Georgia summer which is often 95F and 100% humidity. As long as you can get the windows down its ok. However, If you lose that airflow it can be a problem. I do like the fact that there is less to think about under the hood.

Ive been really pleased with the 300 , np435, 3.55 gear comb so far. Im at about 2600 rpm at 65 mph, driveability is great (but not necessarily zippy) from a stop up to that point. While Ill probably never tow more than a john boat behind it Ive had some fun with the low gears. We have a gas station in town with a 40-45 degree 20ft long driveway. I know that sounds crazy, but its true. Anyways, in 2wd high and granny low on the np435 the bronco will idle up that hill no problem. Its like a tractor in 1st and 2nd which is exactly what I wanted. It makes me giddy every time.

Ive been really pleased with the 300 , np435, 3.55 gear comb so far. Im at about 2600 rpm at 65 mph, driveability is great (but not necessarily zippy) from a stop up to that point. While Ill probably never tow more than a john boat behind it Ive had some fun with the low gears. We have a gas station in town with a 40-45 degree 20ft long driveway. I know that sounds crazy, but its true. Anyways, in 2wd high and granny low on the np435 the bronco will idle up that hill no problem. Its like a tractor in 1st and 2nd which is exactly what I wanted. It makes me giddy every time.

Be careful with 4x4 engaged on dry pavement.

It's not like newer trucks with full-time or a diff between front and rear.

There should be a warning sticker on top the drivers visor.

Be careful with 4x4 engaged on dry pavement.

It's not like newer trucks with full-time or a diff between front and rear.

There should be a warning sticker on top the drivers visor.

This was in 2wd high, not 4wd. Thanks for the warning though! It needs to be said more often

This was in 2wd high, not 4wd. Thanks for the warning though! It needs to be said more often

I'm sorry. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I misread that.

I think of 'granny' as lo range, where I can sidestep the clutch and get out, walking faster than the truck.

Like most with a deep 1st (and 4.10's!) I rarely use it, but it's great when you need it. 😁

I'm sorry. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I misread that.

I think of 'granny' as lo range, where I can sidestep the clutch and get out, walking faster than the truck.

Like most with a deep 1st (and 4.10's!) I rarely use it, but it's great when you need it. 😁

I really like having it. Even with 3.55 gears its too low for most onroad use. Its good for crawling up to stop signs and stuff or moving slow in the driveway. Or crawling up hills that feel like a rollercoaster.