Bullnose Forums

Carburetor issue

jdavidsmi

Yes, I think you've hit on the problem - it jumped time. Trying to run backwards and backfiring through the carb are classic symptoms.

To prove it see if you can check the timing. But that may not work if it is kicking back. So manually bring it up to TDC with a breaker bar and a 15/16" socket on the balancer bolt. Use your thumb over the spark plug hole to try to determine where TDC, but the marker on the balancer should be good. Then check where the rotor is pointing on the distributor. I'll bet it isn't pointing at the #1 terminal in the cap.

Pull the fuel pump and check the slack in the timing chain. I'll bet there is more than the 1/2" of slack the FSM recommends.

I've always checked slack by rocking the crank back and forth with a breaker bar while observing the distributor rotor.

Straight up timing sets are great for power. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've always checked slack by rocking the crank back and forth with a breaker bar while observing the distributor rotor.

Straight up timing sets are great for power. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks for the feedback, won’t be doing much today, raining all day. But I have an idea of what to look for and do.

Thanks for the feedback, won’t be doing much today, raining all day. But I have an idea of what to look for and do.

When you do the chain, spend a bit extra for double row roller chain. If Ford did the Windsor blocks like they did the 460s the later engines (1994 up) may well have them as factory in which case just order the later model set. I have been to your truck's birthplace, everything I have seen said that plant had Ford's best quality world wide.

When Mercedes-Benz was looking for a location to build trucks in the US, they settled on Hampton VA as the location had rail and sea shipping and the area's reputation for quality, one of the people involved in establishing it told me that NNS and Ford quality reputations were an important factor in locating the plant in the Tidewater VA area.

When you do the chain, spend a bit extra for double row roller chain. If Ford did the Windsor blocks like they did the 460s the later engines (1994 up) may well have them as factory in which case just order the later model set. I have been to your truck's birthplace, everything I have seen said that plant had Ford's best quality world wide.

When Mercedes-Benz was looking for a location to build trucks in the US, they settled on Hampton VA as the location had rail and sea shipping and the area's reputation for quality, one of the people involved in establishing it told me that NNS and Ford quality reputations were an important factor in locating the plant in the Tidewater VA area.

EFI 460's came with double row true roller chains from the factory but Cloyes 'street double roller' timing sets are less than replacement timing sets for an '88-'96 @~$43 on Amazon.

I don't know when or if the Windsor engines changed, but I suspect that a quality aftermarket set would be about the same money.

EFI 460's came with double row true roller chains from the factory but Cloyes 'street double roller' timing sets are less than replacement timing sets for an '88-'96 @~$43 on Amazon.

I don't know when or if the Windsor engines changed, but I suspect that a quality aftermarket set would be about the same money.

Jim, forgive my ignorance, but what is meant by the term “double row true roller chain” ? I looked at the pictures and cannot see a difference other than it looks heavier duty than a standard.

Rock Auto has them listed for $ 35.00 but the shipping adds

NAPA list a set for $52.00

But I’m getting ahead of my self, still need to get it in the garage to check it out.

Jim, forgive my ignorance, but what is meant by the term “double row true roller chain” ? I looked at the pictures and cannot see a difference other than it looks heavier duty than a standard.

But I’m getting ahead of my self, still need to get it in the garage to check it out.

Stock chains are silent "HyVo" type chains with a nylon cam sprocket.

This nylon sprocket wears, and gets shredded, clogging the sump pickup.

And the timing goes out, usually 70-75kmi.

Single roller is like a bicycle or motorcycle chain.

Double roller is like two chains that share the same side plate, in the center.

Oh, "true" roller means the sleeves on the pins of the chain are free to turn -and reduce friction and wear as they go on and slide off the sprocket teeth.