Bullnose Forums

Carburetor issue

jdavidsmi

Gary, my wife and I were stationed in Wichita from 79 to 84. We lived in Haysville, and worked on McConnell AFB. Moved from Fairbanks, Alaska, boy what a shock. wondering if we overlapped?

That’s when we had the 76 F250 highboy. It did not have AC, I sold it in 84 when I was sent to Shemya Island, that’s a small island at the end of the Aleutian chain, Bering Sea on the north and the North Pacific on the south.

The 76 was a beast of a truck, it would go anywhere, and if you could get it on the bed, it would haul it. 300 six with 4 speed. But it love the gas.

David - We didn't quite overlap. Janey and I lived in Wichita from '69 when we were married to '75 when we moved to Ponca City, OK. But during the summer of '69 I worked literally across the street from McConnell in the Boeing facility.

David - We didn't quite overlap. Janey and I lived in Wichita from '69 when we were married to '75 when we moved to Ponca City, OK. But during the summer of '69 I worked literally across the street from McConnell in the Boeing facility.

I have the carburetor cleaned and put back together, I have a couple of questions about vacuum ports and lines.

1st is the bowl vent left open, there is no hoses from the old canister.

2nd since this carburetor has an electric choke, shouldn’t the port on the bottom of the choke housing be plugged. It was not.

3rd. What should plug into this port? It comes out of the base of the carburetor, front of the choke.

6F5790BD-6CA9-4024-80A2-F05A07FA1D5A.jpeg.531c3a443b14cc3a9c8a36ba3e70973e.jpeg

I dont know about the rest of it, but from the looks of it, you need to find a better fuel filter. There may be dirt in the tank, granted. Still, at the end of the day. The fuel filter is supposed to stop that from happening.

Just as a common frame of referance, I understand preventive maintence on things like swathers, bailers, plow Cats and seed trucks and the like.

Yes a better filter is needed.

Them pull-a-part to clean are only good to stop small birds and that's it.

Also the glass part likes to break and you then have gas all over and maybe a fire!

I have the carburetor cleaned and put back together, I have a couple of questions about vacuum ports and lines.

2nd since this carburetor has an electric choke, shouldn’t the port on the bottom of the choke housing be plugged. It was not.

3rd. What should plug into this port? It comes out of the base of the carburetor, front of the choke.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n77939/6F5790BD-6CA9-4024-80A2-F05A07FA1D5A.jpeg

1 Can you take a picture of the bowl vent but if you can put a cap on it you should be ok asthe bowl is vented to the air intake of the carb.

2 Picture of this choke also if you can.

It sounds like the choke uses both electric and heat to work.

My 300 six uses both to open the choke. The wire is not 12 volts but like 6 volts from the ALT "S" lug.

3 WAG that port is for the vacuum advance on the dist. at idle does it have vacuum or only when you give it a little throttle?

Dave ----

If you aren't running the charcoal canisters then leave the bowl vent open.

And the port on the bottom of the choke should certainly be plugged. Otherwise you are pulling unfiltered air into the carb and then into the engine.

As for that port, I don't remember which port is which on those carbs. But you want a "ported" connection, which means on that doesn't have vacuum when the engine is at idle but has full vacuum from just above idle all the way up. And that fitting should be connected to the vacuum advance on the distributor.

• 2 weeks later...

If you aren't running the charcoal canisters then leave the bowl vent open.

And the port on the bottom of the choke should certainly be plugged. Otherwise you are pulling unfiltered air into the carb and then into the engine.

As for that port, I don't remember which port is which on those carbs. But you want a "ported" connection, which means on that doesn't have vacuum when the engine is at idle but has full vacuum from just above idle all the way up. And that fitting should be connected to the vacuum advance on the distributor.

I have an update and a new problem. I completed the overhaul of the carburetor, replace the fuel pump, replace all the flexible fuel lines, replace the gas tank, and pickup fuel level sender. And installed a better filter. I also put 5 gallons of gas in right from the station pump.

With the exception of the hard lines all the fuel components are new or rebuilt.

The new issue is I’m not getting any fuel to the carburetor.

As I thought about it this afternoon, I came up with 3 different possibilities. Not enough fuel in tank, maybe I need to put in a second 5 gallons. New fuel pump no good, and 3rd is the cam is so warn and not operating the pump.

So tomorrow I will get a second can of gas and see if that does it. If not take the pump back for a replacement. I don’t want to address the cam yet.

Or I could just get an electric pump.

Any other things I should look at?

I have an update and a new problem. I completed the overhaul of the carburetor, replace the fuel pump, replace all the flexible fuel lines, replace the gas tank, and pickup fuel level sender. And installed a better filter. I also put 5 gallons of gas in right from the station pump.

With the exception of the hard lines all the fuel components are new or rebuilt.

The new issue is I’m not getting any fuel to the carburetor.

As I thought about it this afternoon, I came up with 3 different possibilities. Not enough fuel in tank, maybe I need to put in a second 5 gallons. New fuel pump no good, and 3rd is the cam is so warn and not operating the pump.

So tomorrow I will get a second can of gas and see if that does it. If not take the pump back for a replacement. I don’t want to address the cam yet.

Or I could just get an electric pump.

Any other things I should look at?

I know it is a PITA, before you start throwing more parts at it, put the old fuel pump back on as it was working when you took it off.

Putting another 5 gallions of fuel in the tank is a good idea. Then use air pressure and some rags to kinda seal the gas filler neck. Remove the fuel line at the fuel pump and lightly presurise the tank untill gas comes out of the line at the pump. if the pump is good it should pick it up and fill the carb in no time.

I know it is a PITA, before you start throwing more parts at it, put the old fuel pump back on as it was working when you took it off.

Putting another 5 gallions of fuel in the tank is a good idea. Then use air pressure and some rags to kinda seal the gas filler neck. Remove the fuel line at the fuel pump and lightly presurise the tank untill gas comes out of the line at the pump. if the pump is good it should pick it up and fill the carb in no time.

Did you try to crank it with the carb empty, or did you put a little gas in the carb? It takes a bit to get the system primed. pur a few drops of gas in the venturi of the carb, crank the engine, it should start and stumble, and may die out, try to start it again, if it does not start, try one more time pouring a little gas in the carb, start it and everything should be ok

Did you try to crank it with the carb empty, or did you put a little gas in the carb? It takes a bit to get the system primed. pur a few drops of gas in the venturi of the carb, crank the engine, it should start and stumble, and may die out, try to start it again, if it does not start, try one more time pouring a little gas in the carb, start it and everything should be ok

Good point George, Or he can do like we do the race car after sitting all winter( we drain the carb out) put about a spray paint can cap full of gas and pour it down the bowl vent and fill up the float bowl, spin it over and let it run and let the system prime up while it is running on whats in the bowl.

Sorry............................DUAH

Good point George, Or he can do like we do the race car after sitting all winter( we drain the carb out) put about a spray paint can cap full of gas and pour it down the bowl vent and fill up the float bowl, spin it over and let it run and let the system prime up while it is running on whats in the bowl.

Sorry............................DUAH

Steve, exactly. All that is going to happen is the battery is going to die trying to crank and prime that system. especially after everything that has been changed.

Steve, exactly. All that is going to happen is the battery is going to die trying to crank and prime that system. especially after everything that has been changed.

I've had bugs build nests inside of open lines before. The first time that happened to me it drove me nuts trying to figure out why I could not get gas to the pump. It happened on the truck I have now also but having had this happen before, it did not take long to figure out. What surprised me was the line was not open for long before some bug thought he could move in.