Bullnose Forum

Re: 1982 F-150 302 Engine

Guy

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting it running. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump/filter issue, which I kinda figured after all the feedback I'd gotten from my buddies. The next thing to tackle is a the radiator. Anybody have any experience with flushing a radiator?

My experience with radiators has been that they are hard to clean if they are very badly plugged. There are cleaners on the market that say they will do it, but you'll then need to run a few batches of plain water through the system to get all of the cleaner out.

What problems are you having?

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting it running. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump/filter issue, which I kinda figured after all the feedback I'd gotten from my buddies. The next thing to tackle is a the radiator. Anybody have any experience with flushing a radiator?

Oh, sorry. You hadn't said that you could get it to run on ether...

I'll second Gary in saying unclogging a radiator is rarely worth it.

If it's just scaled up I would suggest removing it.

If it's aluminum, forget it. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

But you can stopper a brass radiator and use something like CLR or sulfamic acid to eat away the scale.

A cheap test plug from the plumbing aisle works great. :nabble_smiley_good:

IME using coolant system cleaners in a really dirty system dislodges too much silt and rust.

It often will destroy the water pump and thermostat.

But I will say while the radiator is out is a perfect time to renew the thermostat, and flush the engine with a hose while the housing is open.