Bullnose Forums

Rewiring map/dome light and seatbelt warning

Littlebeefy

Good deal. Guess one shouldn't say 'definitely not' :nabble_smiley_happy: Wasn't thinking about the Bronco having rear speakers...

You're sure it's the seatbelt buzzer? Does it buzz briefly and then go silent?

I may have missed it but what is wrong with the green/yellow wire?

@Scott - Buzzer is inop. It's just the seatbelt warning light on the dash that stays on all the time.

Now I'm thinking of the obvious: that black wire with the eyelet that looks suspiciously like a ground isn't actually hooked up to the body. Would that cause the light to stay on if no switch is connected? If it's normally closed, wouldn't that cause a constant open circuit and defeat the light instead of activating it or is it the other way around?

@Scott - Buzzer is inop. It's just the seatbelt warning light on the dash that stays on all the time.

Now I'm thinking of the obvious: that black wire with the eyelet that looks suspiciously like a ground isn't actually hooked up to the body. Would that cause the light to stay on if no switch is connected? If it's normally closed, wouldn't that cause a constant open circuit and defeat the light instead of activating it or is it the other way around?

The ground you are referring to is likely for the dome lights. In the pickups there is a ground that screws to the B pillar for that harness.

Ok, so no buzzer. In that case we can ignore the connector at the base of the seatbelt (the flat-ish 2 wire you found recently). That circuit is just for the buzzer.

I.E the light and buzzer are somewhat separate although both are tied to the timer.

The light comes on regardless of the seatbelt connected status and according to the EVTM is lit for 4-8 seconds.

I know the dash indicator lights changed positions between some configs but I don't if the seatbelt one did. Just mentioning that as a potential gotcha.

First, I would disconnect the buzzer from its connector (located above the glovebox) and see if the light goes off. If so, it may be an issue with the timer inside the buzzer unit.

The ground you are referring to is likely for the dome lights. In the pickups there is a ground that screws to the B pillar for that harness.

Ok, so no buzzer. In that case we can ignore the connector at the base of the seatbelt (the flat-ish 2 wire you found recently). That circuit is just for the buzzer.

I.E the light and buzzer are somewhat separate although both are tied to the timer.

The light comes on regardless of the seatbelt connected status and according to the EVTM is lit for 4-8 seconds.

I know the dash indicator lights changed positions between some configs but I don't if the seatbelt one did. Just mentioning that as a potential gotcha.

First, I would disconnect the buzzer from its connector (located above the glovebox) and see if the light goes off. If so, it may be an issue with the timer inside the buzzer unit.

If it is the light that is staying on do like most do ............

Pull the bulb :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

If it is the light that is staying on do like most do ............

Pull the bulb :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

@Scott - good call. I'll give that a try and report back.

@Dave - You're right, I could pull the bulb and solve the problem. But that takes the fun out of it. My Bronco is a classroom on wheels for me. Every time I have to fix something I learn something valuable about automotive repair in the process, usually something I didn't know that I didn't know. Pulling the bulb only confirms that an empty socket won't light up. Having said that, at a certain point I will draw the line and just pull the bulb instead of fixing a faulty timer, for example. I certainly appreciate your input, though, and were I just looking to stop the bulb from lighting up, removing it would certainly fit the bill.