Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

I can get a rebuilt one for around $67, but the Saginaw and plumbing (hoses are way different) along with it's mounting bracket were here. The 1985 pump and the one from the 1986.

Got the rest of the Saginaw pump system mounted, filled and bled (easier with the wheels off the ground), fabricated a temporary support for the exhaust pipe (it is in a ball type joint with spring clamps so the engine can move under torque load) so it won't fall all the way down and either drag or snag when moving the car. After that I set it down, cleaned off the flange where the hood seal/wiring cover goes and reinstalled it. Put the windshield washer tank in and connected the harness to it.

I started working on making sure I have an emergency hood release as the original location for it is not accessible with the pusher fan system.

ZF pump.

DSCN3036.jpg.995cb2784144dfc1c6abbb739664fb83.jpg

DSCN3211.jpg.36904169d3096f5b2e76f32b1062268c.jpg

DSCN3212.jpg.1f5b6199eb041248c15e249d7f96aa81.jpg

DSCN3213.jpg.c91a6c4e60139fea76f9df4520500c62.jpg

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the rest of the Saginaw pump system mounted, filled and bled (easier with the wheels off the ground), fabricated a temporary support for the exhaust pipe (it is in a ball type joint with spring clamps so the engine can move under torque load) so it won't fall all the way down and either drag or snag when moving the car. After that I set it down, cleaned off the flange where the hood seal/wiring cover goes and reinstalled it. Put the windshield washer tank in and connected the harness to it.

I started working on making sure I have an emergency hood release as the original location for it is not accessible with the pusher fan system.

ZF pump.

Saginaw pump.

The Saginaw sits higher on the engine and further to the rear, ZF plastic tank actually is higher in the car than the Saginaw.

Hood seal and washer tank.

Hood seal from the front.

Lots of progress there, Bill. :nabble_smiley_good:

Is that Sag one of the common ones? It looks it, but it is hard to tell. Anyway, if so it'll be easier to find down the road than the ZF, so there's some comfort there.

Lots of progress there, Bill. :nabble_smiley_good:

Is that Sag one of the common ones? It looks it, but it is hard to tell. Anyway, if so it'll be easier to find down the road than the ZF, so there's some comfort there.

If you remember the Saginaw discussion we had a while back, the basic pump is the same, it is customized for specific applications by changing the reservoir, flow control valve, outlet fitting and pulley. I do have another Chrysler Saginaw along with the one for the Ford 460 with it's accompanying aluminum mount.

If you remember the Saginaw discussion we had a while back, the basic pump is the same, it is customized for specific applications by changing the reservoir, flow control valve, outlet fitting and pulley. I do have another Chrysler Saginaw along with the one for the Ford 460 with it's accompanying aluminum mount.

Yes, I remember the discussion. But are the other bits so odd that you can't find them? Not sure that's an issue since you have another one, but just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I remember the discussion. But are the other bits so odd that you can't find them? Not sure that's an issue since you have another one, but just curious.

The bracket is common to all 2.2/2.5L engines in cars with power steering and a Saginaw pump, lines are somewhat vehicle specific due to length and routing, also the year makes a slight difference, somewhere between 1986 and 1989, the rack mounting bolts were changed from 8 mm to 10 mm as the 8 mm ones were prone to coming loose or breaking, and even pulling out of the nut plates welded inside the K member. The 10 mm nut plates are probably 13 mm long and the bolts are also longer.

My lines had the holes for the 8 mm bolts, I just enlarged them for the 10 mm bolts the 1989 K member has in it.

Did finally find my hood cable and a week ago I had a neighbor come over an we installed the hood (bonnet for those from the continent) and yesterday I got it adjusted. It is only on the safety catch as without a dashboard to mount the release handle on it is a royal pain to open.

DSCN3219.jpg.3db0caf0c8eff231d4aec24ef6ec54a0.jpg

The bracket is common to all 2.2/2.5L engines in cars with power steering and a Saginaw pump, lines are somewhat vehicle specific due to length and routing, also the year makes a slight difference, somewhere between 1986 and 1989, the rack mounting bolts were changed from 8 mm to 10 mm as the 8 mm ones were prone to coming loose or breaking, and even pulling out of the nut plates welded inside the K member. The 10 mm nut plates are probably 13 mm long and the bolts are also longer.

My lines had the holes for the 8 mm bolts, I just enlarged them for the 10 mm bolts the 1989 K member has in it.

Did finally find my hood cable and a week ago I had a neighbor come over an we installed the hood (bonnet for those from the continent) and yesterday I got it adjusted. It is only on the safety catch as without a dashboard to mount the release handle on it is a royal pain to open.

With the hood mounted and a release installed, how long before you have a dash?

And the rack and power steering is now complete?

So, what's next?

With the hood mounted and a release installed, how long before you have a dash?

And the rack and power steering is now complete?

So, what's next?

I am working on the dash right now, due to a change in the audio system, I had to redo the speaker wiring. New system is a 2001 Sebring convertible Infinity 6 channel amplifier and a 2001 300M head unit (AM/FM/CD/Cassette). The amp goes under the passenger seat and the wire bundle was too big to fit under the sill plates, so I had to run it up the center under the reinforcement. This means the power, turn on signal, ground and top down equalizer signal along with 4 channels in, 4 out have to be run there, the other two go alongside the top wiring harness out the back end of the reinforcement. I used two Ford 10 way male/female plug sets as finding Chrysler ones is difficult and unless new, the male/female parts have to be salvaged.

I am working on the dash right now, due to a change in the audio system, I had to redo the speaker wiring. New system is a 2001 Sebring convertible Infinity 6 channel amplifier and a 2001 300M head unit (AM/FM/CD/Cassette). The amp goes under the passenger seat and the wire bundle was too big to fit under the sill plates, so I had to run it up the center under the reinforcement. This means the power, turn on signal, ground and top down equalizer signal along with 4 channels in, 4 out have to be run there, the other two go alongside the top wiring harness out the back end of the reinforcement. I used two Ford 10 way male/female plug sets as finding Chrysler ones is difficult and unless new, the male/female parts have to be salvaged.

Let's hope the shielding on the RCA cables is good. :nabble_smiley_what: