Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, considering that there was a galvanized washer on one of the intake hold down studs, that was my guess, that it got misplaced, and then powder coated. Looks nice though!

Finished the vacuum/pressure harness today, rearranged the heater supply fitting (swapped it for the one from the 1985 car) and filled the cooling system. Then I warmed it up, set the timing and put everything underhood except the cruise control on. I need to get the correct battery so I can fit the cruise control on the battery tray. I need to find some thin walled hose for the radiator overflow and order a piece of 2.25" hose for the intercooler to throttle body section.

DSCN3180.jpg.d5eeaa7d03f7f42a65eaf4a299d948a2.jpg

DSCN3181.jpg.74d71d6fe724ae454969229a3da1f695.jpg

Finished the vacuum/pressure harness today, rearranged the heater supply fitting (swapped it for the one from the 1985 car) and filled the cooling system. Then I warmed it up, set the timing and put everything underhood except the cruise control on. I need to get the correct battery so I can fit the cruise control on the battery tray. I need to find some thin walled hose for the radiator overflow and order a piece of 2.25" hose for the intercooler to throttle body section.

I'll beat Jim to it - Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Does it seem to run well? Start well?

And, by the way, that plenum looks ..... bland. :nabble_smiley_evil:

• 3 weeks later...

Starts and runs nicely, getting all the air out of the cooling system is a royal pain. The procedure for filling these engines is to remove the plug in the top of the thermostat area, after 14 years of being in there even though I used Teflon tape, it won't move. I had a small pinhole leak in the gas line back by the filter and that was making it a little harder to start as the pressure (55 psi) would bleed down and the heat would vaporize the gas in the fuel rail. Once that was fixed it starts nicely.

I know the upper plenum looks bland, first it sat outside on the engine for probably 8 years, second, since they are (a) rare and (b) I only have one I couldn't send it to be powder coated.

I have actually moved it some under it's own power, but found another problem, first I had what I thought was valve train noise (2.2/2.5L Chrysler engines are a bit noisy) even though I had installed a later roller cam. Turns out it was most likely the ZF power steering pump. I had no power steering, and the pump showed no signs of actually moving fluid. Chrysler says "non repairable, replace if bad". Since I found some on-line information on rebuilding them, I figured I couldn't make it any worse, and since it is a vane type like a Saginaw, I thought it might just be stuck vanes in the rotor. Pump body is aluminum, rotor and wear portion are steel. Both front housing and rear plate are chewed up pretty badly as is the outer wear section. Noise was in the pump.

At least I have two Saginaw pumps and the mounts and lines, just haven't found the small plate with the adjusting hole (1/2" square) for either one. Steering rack is the one I rebuilt on the 1985 car.

Starts and runs nicely, getting all the air out of the cooling system is a royal pain. The procedure for filling these engines is to remove the plug in the top of the thermostat area, after 14 years of being in there even though I used Teflon tape, it won't move. I had a small pinhole leak in the gas line back by the filter and that was making it a little harder to start as the pressure (55 psi) would bleed down and the heat would vaporize the gas in the fuel rail. Once that was fixed it starts nicely.

I know the upper plenum looks bland, first it sat outside on the engine for probably 8 years, second, since they are (a) rare and (b) I only have one I couldn't send it to be powder coated.

I have actually moved it some under it's own power, but found another problem, first I had what I thought was valve train noise (2.2/2.5L Chrysler engines are a bit noisy) even though I had installed a later roller cam. Turns out it was most likely the ZF power steering pump. I had no power steering, and the pump showed no signs of actually moving fluid. Chrysler says "non repairable, replace if bad". Since I found some on-line information on rebuilding them, I figured I couldn't make it any worse, and since it is a vane type like a Saginaw, I thought it might just be stuck vanes in the rotor. Pump body is aluminum, rotor and wear portion are steel. Both front housing and rear plate are chewed up pretty badly as is the outer wear section. Noise was in the pump.

At least I have two Saginaw pumps and the mounts and lines, just haven't found the small plate with the adjusting hole (1/2" square) for either one. Steering rack is the one I rebuilt on the 1985 car.

Leaks like that a what usually cause me problems on the initial startup of a "restoration". Way too many possible problems happen. So getting to start it and move it part way through is a blessing.

As for the pump, they also used a Saginaw? Why ZF on some and Sag on others? And you have all the parts but just haven't found the "small plate with the adjusting hole (1/2" square)"? Or, have never found one?

Leaks like that a what usually cause me problems on the initial startup of a "restoration". Way too many possible problems happen. So getting to start it and move it part way through is a blessing.

As for the pump, they also used a Saginaw? Why ZF on some and Sag on others? And you have all the parts but just haven't found the "small plate with the adjusting hole (1/2" square)"? Or, have never found one?

I have no idea, doesn't seem to be model specific. I had wanted to use the ZF as it is smaller and sits further to the right and forward than the Saginaw (remember the comparison pictures). The innards were well ground up. Got the Saginaw bracket mounted, fabricated a tensioning piece because I needed a spacer where it goes anyway. I ended up having to take the fuel lines off to get the Saginaw down in it's location, ZF came out without removing them.

I have no idea, doesn't seem to be model specific. I had wanted to use the ZF as it is smaller and sits further to the right and forward than the Saginaw (remember the comparison pictures). The innards were well ground up. Got the Saginaw bracket mounted, fabricated a tensioning piece because I needed a spacer where it goes anyway. I ended up having to take the fuel lines off to get the Saginaw down in it's location, ZF came out without removing them.

Any chance of finding another ZF? But, I guess you've already moved on past that?