Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you don't have leaks then that's certainly progress. And even if you do have leaks it might be two steps forward and one back - which is still progress. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I had something pop up in the Turbocharged Mopar group I am in on FB, a flashable SBEC (engine computer) built by the man who did a tremendous amount of work on the Chrysler turbo systems. It came complete with the interface cable for a PC.

That solves one of the issues I was having, being able to set up what I need for the engine as far as boost control, spark advance, fuel and the transaxle torque converter lockup clutch.

I started prepping the back of the body for the top, the area where the rear nail strip goes has some surface rust and peeling paint, so it's wire brush, rustoleum primer and white paint (area isn't visible) then a new foam "gasket". It isn't a complete seal and there is a drain trough that ultimately goes to the rocker panel drain holes.

I had something pop up in the Turbocharged Mopar group I am in on FB, a flashable SBEC (engine computer) built by the man who did a tremendous amount of work on the Chrysler turbo systems. It came complete with the interface cable for a PC.

That solves one of the issues I was having, being able to set up what I need for the engine as far as boost control, spark advance, fuel and the transaxle torque converter lockup clutch.

I started prepping the back of the body for the top, the area where the rear nail strip goes has some surface rust and peeling paint, so it's wire brush, rustoleum primer and white paint (area isn't visible) then a new foam "gasket". It isn't a complete seal and there is a drain trough that ultimately goes to the rocker panel drain holes.

Wow, that's a big "something"! What software do you use? Is it basically like the EEC-IV's?

As for the top, once that prep is done do you have the top ready to go on?

Wow, that's a big "something"! What software do you use? Is it basically like the EEC-IV's?

As for the top, once that prep is done do you have the top ready to go on?

Software is called MPTune and it is similar to BE but not as user friendly. First you have to have a template for the tune you wish to use which apparently loads the parameters. One of the issues, Chrysler used 3 different systems between 1984 and 1991, 1984-1987 is a two piece system, a Logic Module (brains) and a power module (brawn). The early ones are rudimentary as a lot of the controls were purely mechanical. By 1987 they were much more refined. I was using 1987 Daytona electronics on the 1985 convertible. In 1988 the system was changed to a SMEC (Single Module Engine Controller) where both parts were in one case, but still separate pieces. The LMs were not sealed as they were in the right kick panel. The program chip was usually the bottom and could be removed, a 28 pin socket installed and the chip could be changed fairly easily, like early GM systems.

With the SMEC, the logic board (main part of it) could be socketed, again with a 28 pin socket and the chip changed. On the SBEC, first there are two versions, SBEC 1 and SBEC 2, SBEC 1 is 1990-1991, SBEC 2 is 1992 until the NGC (New Generation Controller) came out. SBECs are larger memory and processor capacity, sequential rather than bank fired injection and use a data bus to communicate with other modules. The SBEC 2 units are factory flash-able like the EEC-V, the older ones require some modifications, primarily installing a Boost Button Flash Module (32 pins) in place of the 28 pin chip.

MPTune will handle all three systems.

Software is called MPTune and it is similar to BE but not as user friendly. First you have to have a template for the tune you wish to use which apparently loads the parameters. One of the issues, Chrysler used 3 different systems between 1984 and 1991, 1984-1987 is a two piece system, a Logic Module (brains) and a power module (brawn). The early ones are rudimentary as a lot of the controls were purely mechanical. By 1987 they were much more refined. I was using 1987 Daytona electronics on the 1985 convertible. In 1988 the system was changed to a SMEC (Single Module Engine Controller) where both parts were in one case, but still separate pieces. The LMs were not sealed as they were in the right kick panel. The program chip was usually the bottom and could be removed, a 28 pin socket installed and the chip could be changed fairly easily, like early GM systems.

With the SMEC, the logic board (main part of it) could be socketed, again with a 28 pin socket and the chip changed. On the SBEC, first there are two versions, SBEC 1 and SBEC 2, SBEC 1 is 1990-1991, SBEC 2 is 1992 until the NGC (New Generation Controller) came out. SBECs are larger memory and processor capacity, sequential rather than bank fired injection and use a data bus to communicate with other modules. The SBEC 2 units are factory flash-able like the EEC-V, the older ones require some modifications, primarily installing a Boost Button Flash Module (32 pins) in place of the 28 pin chip.

MPTune will handle all three systems.

So you got an SBEC-2? And you have a support community to help you make it happen?

So you got an SBEC-2? And you have a support community to help you make it happen?

No, not an SBEC-2 they use a different speed control interface, primarily the on - off control. Starting in probably 1992 and definitely by 1993, the on - off switch is a momentary contact design in the steering wheel, before that the speed control used a slide switch on the turn signal stalk off - slide on, slide further for resume and outboard of that a set button that would move the main slide switch to on if it wasn't there already.

DSCN2369.thumb.jpg.b52c5759fd211022edfd523b1982b039.jpg

I don't have one of the later style switches handy for a picture.

No, not an SBEC-2 they use a different speed control interface, primarily the on - off control. Starting in probably 1992 and definitely by 1993, the on - off switch is a momentary contact design in the steering wheel, before that the speed control used a slide switch on the turn signal stalk off - slide on, slide further for resume and outboard of that a set button that would move the main slide switch to on if it wasn't there already.

I don't have one of the later style switches handy for a picture.

Makes sense to stay with the earlier unit with that switch. So you have to put the larger module on to be able to flash it?

Makes sense to stay with the earlier unit with that switch. So you have to put the larger module on to be able to flash it?

Yes, but I bought one with the module already installed. The board has 28 pins for the factory chip, soldered and the whole thing potted. The board has two extra spots on each side in-line with the 14 holes, just not drilled. The one I bought has the module mounted and sealed on the board.

DSCN4945.thumb.jpg.a8e7c4e848ff516b655641b1cf9349a5.jpg

The pins on the right end are the 4 extra pins that have to be drilled on the board with a #63 drill.

Yes, but I bought one with the module already installed. The board has 28 pins for the factory chip, soldered and the whole thing potted. The board has two extra spots on each side in-line with the 14 holes, just not drilled. The one I bought has the module mounted and sealed on the board.

The pins on the right end are the 4 extra pins that have to be drilled on the board with a #63 drill.

It is good you don't have to do that. Not that I don't think you could, but it is just easier if you don't have to. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 1 month later...

It is good you don't have to do that. Not that I don't think you could, but it is just easier if you don't have to. :nabble_smiley_good:

Next week I have a friend who is also into older vehicles coming over, hopefully with his 14 year old stepson so we can get the top down and install it. Hopefully it will be decent enough (it was installed on the 1985 from 2003 till 2009) to at least be reasonably weather tight. Then I will find out if the 1989 heated rear window will fit.