Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

It is digital, set with a rocker switch up or down. Blower speed, blend door and mode are then controlled by the processor in the control head. All are actuated by small DC motors with reduction gear trains (one worm on the motor then 4 additional stages). Other than the temp, only the mode has any feedback and that is for it's mid position (floor). At face or defrost it stalls against the travel limit for the door and the current spike tells the processor to unpower it. System can only do one task at a time as there is one common for all three and one actuate circuit for each function (blend, fresh/recirc, Face/floor/defrost). Control head is the bottom unit under the vacuum/boost gauge and warning lights in the set of pictures further up.

I have another unit that is vacuum actuated except the blend. On either, blower speed is also controlled. probably PWM control.

Sounds like a very sophisticated system, especially for its age. Compare that to the Bullnose trucks with nothing automated. :nabble_smiley_oh:

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a very sophisticated system, especially for its age. Compare that to the Bullnose trucks with nothing automated. :nabble_smiley_oh:

That is sophisticated, whew! Had to stretch my lips to get that big word out! It’s fancy!

The corporate jets I worked on had a fan for the sensor, located next to one of the seats. Not a real good place for it. People would put things there and block the fan and the cabin would get warm.

I was on a flight one day with passengers, probably dozing off, and someone asked me to tell the pilots it was getting hot. It doesn’t suddenly do that uncommanded, usually, so I ask the guy sitting in that seat if there was anything between the seats and he pulls out a newspaper he had put there.

I said there we go it’ll cool back down now. He asks how did you know that and I explained what was going on. He thought that was pretty neat.

It is not a 1986 system, it came from a 1992 Imperial (which still used a K car HVAC case). The 1986 systems still used vacuum for all functions except blend and blower speed. I wanted to get away from the vacuum controls as under boost you don't have any vacuum for the HVAC controls. Speed control vacuum is available as there are two ejectors in the vacuum harness that use the boost pressure to create vacuum for that application.

It is not a 1986 system, it came from a 1992 Imperial (which still used a K car HVAC case). The 1986 systems still used vacuum for all functions except blend and blower speed. I wanted to get away from the vacuum controls as under boost you don't have any vacuum for the HVAC controls. Speed control vacuum is available as there are two ejectors in the vacuum harness that use the boost pressure to create vacuum for that application.

That makes more sense. I was wondering why a K-car had that much sophistication. But a later Imperial would be expected to. :nabble_smiley_good:

That makes more sense. I was wondering why a K-car had that much sophistication. But a later Imperial would be expected to. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, but the LeBarons and the Dodge 400/600 models along withe New Yorker had a lot of extras. The left door wiring has an extra 10 pin connector for the extras, sedans had power remote mirrors, which I managed to adapt to the convertible as they are also a bit bigger. Power locks and windows along with a 6 way power seat were options on the premium models.

What I am doing is the same sort of things you are doing with BB and Dad's truck, adding improvements (like rear disc brakes on the LeBaron), a more efficient engine fan system, eliminating the fusible links by using a later PDC

Yes, but the LeBarons and the Dodge 400/600 models along withe New Yorker had a lot of extras. The left door wiring has an extra 10 pin connector for the extras, sedans had power remote mirrors, which I managed to adapt to the convertible as they are also a bit bigger. Power locks and windows along with a 6 way power seat were options on the premium models.

What I am doing is the same sort of things you are doing with BB and Dad's truck, adding improvements (like rear disc brakes on the LeBaron), a more efficient engine fan system, eliminating the fusible links by using a later PDC

Yep, that sounds exactly like what I'm doing. Use the factory's upgrades to make a better vehicle. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep, that sounds exactly like what I'm doing. Use the factory's upgrades to make a better vehicle. :nabble_smiley_good:

Here is a picture of the (mostly) complete interior. I can't find the clip nuts for the center trim and need to open the cluster to replace the high beam indicator bulb.

DSCN4874.thumb.jpg.dc2eae5891e96ac030326e78911704ee.jpg

Here is a picture of the (mostly) complete interior. I can't find the clip nuts for the center trim and need to open the cluster to replace the high beam indicator bulb.

Looks great, Bill. You are making real progress. :nabble_anim_claps:

Do you have the clip nuts? Or what kind does it take?

And, who is Grumpy? :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Looks great, Bill. You are making real progress. :nabble_anim_claps:

Do you have the clip nuts? Or what kind does it take?

And, who is Grumpy? :nabble_smiley_thinking:

That is a sign that says "Grumpy's Garage" that was a present from my wife. She didn't realize that Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins was a Chevy drag racer. I have another that says "Bill's Playpen" in wood.

The clip nuts are the kind a sheet metal screw goes into and they clip over the plastic portion to allow the trim panel to be screwed on after it snaps in place.

That is a sign that says "Grumpy's Garage" that was a present from my wife. She didn't realize that Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins was a Chevy drag racer. I have another that says "Bill's Playpen" in wood.

The clip nuts are the kind a sheet metal screw goes into and they clip over the plastic portion to allow the trim panel to be screwed on after it snaps in place.

I think those signs need to be displayed prominently. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep, I thought that would be the clip nuts. But do you have them? Have a source? What size of screw?