Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

Yep, VNT sounds familiar. Ford had fits with them coking up on the PowerStrokes if you let them idle too long. My buddy had that problem until he loaned the truck to his SiL who wagged a trailer at high speed for a few thousand miles. When it came back the boost had gone up to over 20 psi, and he was a happy camper.

As for the engines, it is amazing what the little ones will do with some boost. As you know, I'll pit my 3.5L EB against my 7.5L any day.

Gary, I will just ask one thing, percentage wise how much fuel economy does the EB lose towing a heavy load? Darth would drop 20% from 10 average to 8 towing a 30 ft 10K 5th wheel, worst was running roughly 70 into a 35 mph head wind towing said 5th wheel, got 7 that run.

Had some running issues with the Konvertible last Saturday and finally got a chance to dig into it today, found a hard plastic line had come out of the multiple connector and it just happened to be the one to the MAP sensor. Fixed it and finished what I had started Last Saturday, charging the AC system, a complete R134a system with electronic ATC. While I was balancing the charge, it got a little high on pressure and my high speed fans came on, pressure dropped almost instantly. System works a lot better than the 1985 I tried converting to R134a and had to go back to R12 as I couldn't keep a compressor belt on it. The dual pusher fans work great!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, I will just ask one thing, percentage wise how much fuel economy does the EB lose towing a heavy load? Darth would drop 20% from 10 average to 8 towing a 30 ft 10K 5th wheel, worst was running roughly 70 into a 35 mph head wind towing said 5th wheel, got 7 that run.

Had some running issues with the Konvertible last Saturday and finally got a chance to dig into it today, found a hard plastic line had come out of the multiple connector and it just happened to be the one to the MAP sensor. Fixed it and finished what I had started Last Saturday, charging the AC system, a complete R134a system with electronic ATC. While I was balancing the charge, it got a little high on pressure and my high speed fans came on, pressure dropped almost instantly. System works a lot better than the 1985 I tried converting to R134a and had to go back to R12 as I couldn't keep a compressor belt on it. The dual pusher fans work great!

Bill - I haven't towed anything that heavy with the EB. Heaviest was Big Blue on a 3000 lb trailer, so probably 9000 - 9500 lbs, or maybe closer to 10k given all the parts we brought back. We ran 75 consistently and got 9 MPH. Which is almost exactly half of what it normally gets w/o a trailer, so I'd say it drops 50%.

Glad you got the problem with the Konvertible sorted. And it sounds like you got the A/C working nicely. :nabble_smiley_good: (Reminds me I still need to do that on Big Blue.)

Bill - I haven't towed anything that heavy with the EB. Heaviest was Big Blue on a 3000 lb trailer, so probably 9000 - 9500 lbs, or maybe closer to 10k given all the parts we brought back. We ran 75 consistently and got 9 MPH. Which is almost exactly half of what it normally gets w/o a trailer, so I'd say it drops 50%.

Glad you got the problem with the Konvertible sorted. And it sounds like you got the A/C working nicely. :nabble_smiley_good: (Reminds me I still need to do that on Big Blue.)

You also definitely have to factor in wind drag, 5th wheel was 11'6'' high at the front, I did have an air deflector on top of the cab which helped. The reason I asked was for information in case my brother asks about towing with his EB 150.

You also definitely have to factor in wind drag, 5th wheel was 11'6'' high at the front, I did have an air deflector on top of the cab which helped. The reason I asked was for information in case my brother asks about towing with his EB 150.

Reading lightly through this thread takes me back to my 2.3 Ford turbo days, had a turbo coupe for a few years. A real beater, but that car was sure fun. Several years later I had an 84 svo mustang that had a 2 stage boost control. Basically stock, and flip a switch and boost would run to 25psi. I have had a good 2.3 turbo out of a merkur xr4ti sitting on an engine stand in the shop for maybe 15 years now. If the right project ever turns up I have a couple of shelves worth of parts stored away.

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for sending me down memory lane a little and keep it up. Always have been a fan of that era of small displacement turbo cars.

Reading lightly through this thread takes me back to my 2.3 Ford turbo days, had a turbo coupe for a few years. A real beater, but that car was sure fun. Several years later I had an 84 svo mustang that had a 2 stage boost control. Basically stock, and flip a switch and boost would run to 25psi. I have had a good 2.3 turbo out of a merkur xr4ti sitting on an engine stand in the shop for maybe 15 years now. If the right project ever turns up I have a couple of shelves worth of parts stored away.

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for sending me down memory lane a little and keep it up. Always have been a fan of that era of small displacement turbo cars.

Yes, you have to figure in wind drag. Big Blue put a lot of drag on because when you looked in the rear view mirror on Blue all you could see was the Ford logo on BB's grille. It sure set up high.

For a couple of other data points, we got about 14 MPG just pulling the trailer down to FL to pick BB up. We were running more like 70 MPH, but the trailer towed very nicely and obviously had very little wind drag.

And when we pulled the 25' Sea Ray to Lake Powell we got 11.0 MPG running 65 MPH for the 2500 miles. And it was on that trip where I found that the truck likes higher octane gas when towing - just like the owner's manual says.

My son had the original (a 1985 LeBaron convertible) up near DC at an area know as "the mixing bowl" where I-95, I-395 and I-495 all come together and the roads from the air look like a bowl of spaghetti. It is called the Springfield Interchange. He had gone up once before in our 1993 Grand Caravan and had been cut off trying to get to his exit. The next time, since I was recovering from a right knee replacement and couldn't drive at that time, he borrowed the konvertible (our nickname) and drove it. Same scenario, but, when someone attempted to cut him off, he stomped it, when he got home he said, "dad, you know that digital dash doesn't blank out at 85, it keeps going, it went 99, 00 then started up again" I told him I had put the export switch in export so it wouldn't blank at 85, I asked what he got to, his reply "21 and it was still pulling. but I had to slow down for the exit".

Rough guess on HP is around 200 using 14 psi over the normal 12 for the Turbo II engine package. The A413 Torqueflite was set up so it shifted 1-2 at 56 mph and 2-3 at 79 mph at WOT. This is one of the reasons the 86 has an upgraded brake system to 4 wheel discs and a later K frame and lower control arms. Long term plans will be a 3 bar map sensor, and computer calibrated for 20 psi boost, which should push 300 HP, engine is an actual Turbo II long block and is assembled with ARP head studs a MOPAR Performance head gasket and ARP main studs and rod bolts. As the lower end picture shows it is a healthy beast, forged steel crank and beefy rods.

My son had the original (a 1985 LeBaron convertible) up near DC at an area know as "the mixing bowl" where I-95, I-395 and I-495 all come together and the roads from the air look like a bowl of spaghetti. It is called the Springfield Interchange. He had gone up once before in our 1993 Grand Caravan and had been cut off trying to get to his exit. The next time, since I was recovering from a right knee replacement and couldn't drive at that time, he borrowed the konvertible (our nickname) and drove it. Same scenario, but, when someone attempted to cut him off, he stomped it, when he got home he said, "dad, you know that digital dash doesn't blank out at 85, it keeps going, it went 99, 00 then started up again" I told him I had put the export switch in export so it wouldn't blank at 85, I asked what he got to, his reply "21 and it was still pulling. but I had to slow down for the exit".

Rough guess on HP is around 200 using 14 psi over the normal 12 for the Turbo II engine package. The A413 Torqueflite was set up so it shifted 1-2 at 56 mph and 2-3 at 79 mph at WOT. This is one of the reasons the 86 has an upgraded brake system to 4 wheel discs and a later K frame and lower control arms. Long term plans will be a 3 bar map sensor, and computer calibrated for 20 psi boost, which should push 300 HP, engine is an actual Turbo II long block and is assembled with ARP head studs a MOPAR Performance head gasket and ARP main studs and rod bolts. As the lower end picture shows it is a healthy beast, forged steel crank and beefy rods.

Well, Murphy has reared his head again. In order to tune the Chrysler engine computers there are a limited number of options, some of which require some serious modifications to the computers, The first version turbo engines were pretty simple, and the boost limit was purely mechanical, these were a one year design and used a two part engine computer system. Inside the car, behind the right side kick panel was the Logic Module or brains of the system and underhood near the left front corner was the power module or brawn. The logic modules were not sealed nor potted and could be easily socketed, but the 84 was not a good candidate, 1985-1987 models were better, and of the whole series the 1987 logic module was the best to use (that is what the 1985 had in it). On these it was fairly easy to socket the LM to allow for different tunes to be used. These were a bank fired (1-2 and 3-4) injector strategy.

In 1988 Chrysler introduced the SMEC or Single Module Engine Controller. This still had the two separate pieces, but the logic portion was now underhood in the same casing as the power board. The power board was removable and could be swapped between similar engines. These were nice for socketing as the power board could be used to seal the cut out area in the logic board potting. These were still bank fired on the injectors. These were a 1988-1989 only run.

In 1990 the SBEC was introduced as the engine control, it stood for Single Board Engine Controller. These are sequential injection units. The SBEC as originally built could not be externally re-flashed, the SBEC2 and higher can be reflashed using Chrysler's DRB units. The LM, SMEC and SBEC use 28 pin program chips, the SBEC2 went to a 32 pin chip, but because this was in the works, the SBEC boards have 32 holes available, but 3 or 4 are not drilled requiring they be carefully drilled with a #63 drill. One man who had been working with these systems since the beginning developed a flash module for these that is installed in place of the original chip. New chips can be burned (programmed) but the originals are obsolete and contained a "latch". The solution for that was a latch board that goes between the new chip and the board.

I have a board I tried to socket and damaged some of the traces on, I have another I had socketed by someone else. I spent a bit of time getting the ZIF socket off that board and found it had been glued to the board. I have now two boards with some damaged traces, but a roll of 30ga wire, brush on flux and low temp solder should solve that and hopefully give me two SBECs for automatic transmission use. Just like a Ford system there are some internal differences, some in the program, but one main difference, these were the first turbo models with a lock up torque converter.

Here are the areas on the SBEC board, you can see some of the bad areas:

Top side:

SBEC_chip_area_top_1.thumb.jpg.8e50cc68d47aa8c81865d77ebe98df9f.jpg

Bottom side:

SBEC_chip_area_bottom_2.thumb.jpg.47e142fb2d32e458adb65ec617300c32.jpg

Here are the flash module and 32 pin socket:

Flash module:

Flash_Module.thumb.jpg.f20131748367d3343f2bad4a87d9c6db.jpg

32 pin socket:

32_pin_socket.thumb.jpg.89ef63a341b24db5e8b25ab6c1d0c888.jpg

Well, Murphy has reared his head again. In order to tune the Chrysler engine computers there are a limited number of options, some of which require some serious modifications to the computers, The first version turbo engines were pretty simple, and the boost limit was purely mechanical, these were a one year design and used a two part engine computer system. Inside the car, behind the right side kick panel was the Logic Module or brains of the system and underhood near the left front corner was the power module or brawn. The logic modules were not sealed nor potted and could be easily socketed, but the 84 was not a good candidate, 1985-1987 models were better, and of the whole series the 1987 logic module was the best to use (that is what the 1985 had in it). On these it was fairly easy to socket the LM to allow for different tunes to be used. These were a bank fired (1-2 and 3-4) injector strategy.

In 1988 Chrysler introduced the SMEC or Single Module Engine Controller. This still had the two separate pieces, but the logic portion was now underhood in the same casing as the power board. The power board was removable and could be swapped between similar engines. These were nice for socketing as the power board could be used to seal the cut out area in the logic board potting. These were still bank fired on the injectors. These were a 1988-1989 only run.

In 1990 the SBEC was introduced as the engine control, it stood for Single Board Engine Controller. These are sequential injection units. The SBEC as originally built could not be externally re-flashed, the SBEC2 and higher can be reflashed using Chrysler's DRB units. The LM, SMEC and SBEC use 28 pin program chips, the SBEC2 went to a 32 pin chip, but because this was in the works, the SBEC boards have 32 holes available, but 3 or 4 are not drilled requiring they be carefully drilled with a #63 drill. One man who had been working with these systems since the beginning developed a flash module for these that is installed in place of the original chip. New chips can be burned (programmed) but the originals are obsolete and contained a "latch". The solution for that was a latch board that goes between the new chip and the board.

I have a board I tried to socket and damaged some of the traces on, I have another I had socketed by someone else. I spent a bit of time getting the ZIF socket off that board and found it had been glued to the board. I have now two boards with some damaged traces, but a roll of 30ga wire, brush on flux and low temp solder should solve that and hopefully give me two SBECs for automatic transmission use. Just like a Ford system there are some internal differences, some in the program, but one main difference, these were the first turbo models with a lock up torque converter.

Top side:

Bottom side:

Flash module:

32 pin socket:

Man, those look like a pain to repair. Hope you have steady hands and a magnifying hood or lens. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But how are you going to reprogram the chip? Or do you need to?

Man, those look like a pain to repair. Hope you have steady hands and a magnifying hood or lens. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But how are you going to reprogram the chip? Or do you need to?

The flash module replaces the chip and is programmed through an FTDI cable that connects to the diagnostic connector underhood near the SBEC. it is a 6 pin connector of which 3, the transmit and receive wires and ground are used. The FTDI chip provides the interface from the USB cable to the Chrysler electronics much as the Mongoose cable provides the interface to the Ford EEC-V system.

There are actually two connection ports on Chrysler cars in the 90s, the underhood and a blue connector for what Chrysler called a CCD bus for Car Collision Detection bus (you will have to ask Ma Mopar why). One of the ECU leads also goes there, the pink SCI transmit wire, however when using the FTDI cable Rx and Tx are swapped. The underhood has a ground, the two signal leads, an ignition power and the grounding signal for the ASD relay. The inside one has battery, the two CCD bus leads, the SCI transmit and a different SCI receive a pink/light blue and a ground. It is used to communicate with the body computer, trip computer and with the electronic 4 speed OD transaxle, it's controls.

Top side:

Bottom side:

Flash module:

32 pin socket:

My, those holes in the socket take me back to days of Eprom's. 👴