Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a turning lamp.

It stays on, illuminating inside of the corner you're taking.

That's what I was thinking, but then was trying to figure out how it is wired, and apparently they just take the power to the relay's coil from before the flasher. Makes sense.

That's what I was thinking, but then was trying to figure out how it is wired, and apparently they just take the power to the relay's coil from before the flasher. Makes sense.

Jim, and Gary, basically correct, but, flasher is a dual function electronic unit, relays are used to select which lights are used. The original wiring from Chrysler used an ignition on power source for the relay coils, turn signal switch simply grounds the appropriate relays (left front, left rear and left cornering) or the corresponding right side ones. I just could never see the use of a cornering light in daytime, the first car I had with them was a 1978 Oldsmobile, Delta 88 Royale and those only worked with the lights on.

The lights on the car, other than headlamps and cornering lights are all LEDs now, and since the electronic flasher has it's own dedicated ground and two power sources as needed (one is ignition switched the other constant battery) so the little pushbutton switch in the console determines (a) which power source and (b) whether to ground all 4 signal relays.

Jim, and Gary, basically correct, but, flasher is a dual function electronic unit, relays are used to select which lights are used. The original wiring from Chrysler used an ignition on power source for the relay coils, turn signal switch simply grounds the appropriate relays (left front, left rear and left cornering) or the corresponding right side ones. I just could never see the use of a cornering light in daytime, the first car I had with them was a 1978 Oldsmobile, Delta 88 Royale and those only worked with the lights on.

The lights on the car, other than headlamps and cornering lights are all LEDs now, and since the electronic flasher has it's own dedicated ground and two power sources as needed (one is ignition switched the other constant battery) so the little pushbutton switch in the console determines (a) which power source and (b) whether to ground all 4 signal relays.

I got the left side cornering light in today, then went on to repairing some of my courtesy lights. There are four of them that take a 212-2 bulb, which can be replaced by a 578 LED. Two of the lights mount vertically in the rear inner panels, the other two mount on the bottom portion of the door armrests. These looked pretty bad from the light bulb heat. Here is a picture of three of them in a fixture made from a small cardboard box:

DSCN4556.thumb.jpg.8bb6023f51e74b9f7beafbdba85b795c.jpg

Here are the same three after painting with a close to chrome paint:

DSCN4557.thumb.jpg.fd21dc2d50478ba2d26239038e0ac975.jpg

I got the left side cornering light in today, then went on to repairing some of my courtesy lights. There are four of them that take a 212-2 bulb, which can be replaced by a 578 LED. Two of the lights mount vertically in the rear inner panels, the other two mount on the bottom portion of the door armrests. These looked pretty bad from the light bulb heat. Here is a picture of three of them in a fixture made from a small cardboard box:

Here are the same three after painting with a close to chrome paint:

They look great, Bill! And with the low heat from the LEDs should stay that way a long, time. :nabble_smiley_good:

NOS, Bill? :nabble_smiley_wink:

NOS as in Nitrous Oxide or New Old Stock? They are original 1985 and 1986 parts, some from the 1986 and some from the totaled in 2009 1985. Disassembled, cleaned with Dawn dish soap and an old toothbrush, then painted with a metallic silver paint.

NOS as in Nitrous Oxide or New Old Stock? They are original 1985 and 1986 parts, some from the 1986 and some from the totaled in 2009 1985. Disassembled, cleaned with Dawn dish soap and an old toothbrush, then painted with a metallic silver paint.

Just complementing your work... New Old Stock! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thank you, I am pretty happy with the result. The left side cornering light was NOS from Arizona Parts, mounting bracket was used.

Now I have run into a small dilemma. The original piece separating the front seats is a large armrest bolted to a plastic section that runs down the center of the car on top of the longitudinal reinforcement. I want to see about using the center console from the 1989 car, which ends up being the same width and height, but has a storage rack for audio cassettes. The problem is this:

DSCN4563.thumb.jpg.a893496ff4a51b23afd959f2074e21c4.jpg

It has the place for the rear window defroster, two power window switches and the power seat switch (it mounts so that the text is upside down, but when you look at it it reads normally. I either have to make something different for there or rearrange my switches. I can put the top switch in place of the window switches and move the rear defrost and seat switches. There was an ash tray forward of the shifter, but that won't work as the K shifter is too far forward. This also will negate the control panel I built.

Using the console switch panel.

Advantage, removing the control panel will allow for a 4 disc CD changer.

Disadvantage. hazard flasher, panel dimmer and power point will need a new location.

Leaving the control panel

Advantage, no need to extend wires and switch mountings

Disadvantage, have to come up with something to close the front of the console in.

In either instance there is a rear seat ashtray provision I will turn into a light for the rear floor as there are ash trays in each rear quarter area.