Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

Well, after getting the panel built, and going through some other things, I found the switch parts I had wanted to use to make it a push on, push off system, where in is normal and out is hazard on. I had a GM HVAC control I had gotten at Pick-n-Pull that had several push on, push off controls. Problem is they are a DPST switch that turns on or off functions. I had bought some 6 pole single throw switches to try to build something that would work. I tried doing one by soldering wires to the pins, melted part of the switch as they are intended to be mounted to a PC board.

The GM HVAC panel has small plugs that connect to various places, the pin spacing on the plugs exactly matches the pin spacing on the switches, so that means no soldering of wires to the switch. The front two pins are grounds so when the switch is in hazard the second row is grounded. All 4 turn signals are turned on or off with relays and one side is left side the other right side through a diode package that allows left and right turn or hazard. The plug is a 6 pin of which 5 are used to switch the flasher from turn to hazard mode which also changes the power source from ignition switched to direct battery.

Ok, now I think I understand. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looks like it'll work very well. Well done, Bill! :nabble_anim_claps:

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now I think I understand. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looks like it'll work very well. Well done, Bill! :nabble_anim_claps:

Now, other than an appropriate lens for the hazard switch, here are two pictures of the revised panel:

Front

DSCN4391.thumb.jpg.19db7ac5e10e8100cf1ff79c0858b70e.jpg

and back

DSCN4392.thumb.jpg.506b14cb8f62837db1865bb070f080a3.jpg

I glued the plug parts to the respective switch assemblies so the wires will not be pulling on the connections. The hazard switch is set up so in is normal operation and out is 4 way on. Now I need to find either a small red lens or a hazard red triangle lens to fit.

Now, other than an appropriate lens for the hazard switch, here are two pictures of the revised panel:

Front

and back

I glued the plug parts to the respective switch assemblies so the wires will not be pulling on the connections. The hazard switch is set up so in is normal operation and out is 4 way on. Now I need to find either a small red lens or a hazard red triangle lens to fit.

Looking good, Bill. :nabble_smiley_good:

Does the hazard switch light up in both the "in" and the "out" positions?

Looking good, Bill. :nabble_smiley_good:

Does the hazard switch light up in both the "in" and the "out" positions?

Yes, it should, may be brighter in one position than the other as the button and light were part of a GM HVAC control panel and the light may have been active only with the button in (on position). I have it like the later Ford ones, off is in, on is out.

Yes, it should, may be brighter in one position than the other as the button and light were part of a GM HVAC control panel and the light may have been active only with the button in (on position). I have it like the later Ford ones, off is in, on is out.

What size is the 'window' Bill?

I have Huck's old cluster here and could pull the hazard icon, if it would work for you.

What size is the 'window' Bill?

I have Huck's old cluster here and could pull the hazard icon, if it would work for you.

Jim, OD of the lens is 0.57" or 14.48mm, thickness is 0.22" or 0.56mm. I would probably need to get the lens out and find a clear piece of plastic that I can put the red triangle on.

Jim, OD of the lens is 0.57" or 14.48mm, thickness is 0.22" or 0.56mm. I would probably need to get the lens out and find a clear piece of plastic that I can put the red triangle on.

I'll check in the morning.

I'm sure I have a piece of acetate, and maybe even some kodalith.

I'll check in the morning.

I'm sure I have a piece of acetate, and maybe even some kodalith.

I got the panel installed, all wiring connected and ran some quick checks. Flasher works as intended, push the button, it extends a short distance and the hazard flasher blinks everything it is supposed to. Lights on and the little window at the bottom of the lens illuminates. Since the original function on the GM HVAC control is to tell you the mode or item is active (Recirc, Rear defrost, AC compressor on) it is more of an indicator light than an illumination light. I will probably see if I have something for a clear or translucent lens and then take my lathe and remove enough of the rear face to get the lens out I will remove a portion of the barrier so the light will hopefully illuminate more of the lens area.

I got the panel installed, all wiring connected and ran some quick checks. Flasher works as intended, push the button, it extends a short distance and the hazard flasher blinks everything it is supposed to. Lights on and the little window at the bottom of the lens illuminates. Since the original function on the GM HVAC control is to tell you the mode or item is active (Recirc, Rear defrost, AC compressor on) it is more of an indicator light than an illumination light. I will probably see if I have something for a clear or translucent lens and then take my lathe and remove enough of the rear face to get the lens out I will remove a portion of the barrier so the light will hopefully illuminate more of the lens area.

That test is a major step, Bill. Congrat's!

And your plan on the lens seems solid. Go for it! :nabble_smiley_good:

• 2 weeks later...

That test is a major step, Bill. Congrat's!

And your plan on the lens seems solid. Go for it! :nabble_smiley_good:

Since it has been colder than a well diggers posterior here, I haven't done anything in the garage, even though I know the torpedo heater will bring it up the tee shirt temperatures at 10° ambient, I just didn't feel like subsidizing the local kerosene dealer. I spent some time making a fuse box chart label for the inner lower left side of the dash. The area is covered with an external panel with twist release and a snap clips. There was a black on white plastic label for the 16 slot 1989 fuse box, I wanted to use the 1990 one as it came with the wiring harnesses and has each low and high beam headlamp circuit individually fused.

DSCN4430.thumb.jpg.5bf2bd8eb749f3e12667a5ab317b41c0.jpg

Don't pay too much attention to the fuses in it, I just was snapping them in to any active slots for an idea of how many I needed. Mirror is for the automatic day/night mirror as it uses a photocell to tell it when to dim.

DSCN4462.thumb.jpg.f9a65015c672967ce725e8072c3e1fb4.jpg