Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

Just trying to get everything lined up so the 460 can get in it's home maybe in the spring.

Here is a picture of the completed center stack switch panel. Rare hide from a wild nauga for the panel covering. Some #6 or #8 black oval head sheet metal screws with cone shaped washers to secure the faux wood front to the center stack. It ends up just in front of the shifter when installed.

Completed_part_with_correct_screws.thumb.jpg.c22f81119f9cbe0a70d25b147c9cda4d.jpg

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a picture of the completed center stack switch panel. Rare hide from a wild nauga for the panel covering. Some #6 or #8 black oval head sheet metal screws with cone shaped washers to secure the faux wood front to the center stack. It ends up just in front of the shifter when installed.

Well done, Bill! Clean and functional. :nabble_smiley_good:

Nice!

Cool.

That works! 👍

Cool.

That works! 👍

Thank you all! It took a bit of work to get it where I wanted it, only thing I am not real pleased with is the hazard switch, I wanted a push on push off that I could illuminate or a good way to at least have a light for the panel but neither was feasible due to the way it is held together. This was behind the layout, so the dash light control, with courtesy light switch is nearest the driver followed by the hazard switch, then rear window defroster and finally the power point.

The hazard system on the 1990 donor wiring harness is strange due to the dashboard design Chrysler introduced in 1990. The turn signal switch was moved to a binnacle on top of the dash with the headlight switch, wiper switch was on the opposite side and instruments were in the resulting pod. The steering column has a turn signal cancel switch that connects to a solenoid in the turn signal switch and a hazard flasher switch. Since the switches in the pod are small push on push off single pole single throw essentially and are circuit board style, they can't handle the current required for the 2 low and 4 high beam headlights so there is a large relay panel for nearly everything on the car. The hazard switch has to ground 2 sets (4 total) of relays and change the connection for the combination flasher (which handles LED signal lights nicely). It ends up needing a 4 pole single throw switch to change from turn signal to hazard mode.

Thank you all! It took a bit of work to get it where I wanted it, only thing I am not real pleased with is the hazard switch, I wanted a push on push off that I could illuminate or a good way to at least have a light for the panel but neither was feasible due to the way it is held together. This was behind the layout, so the dash light control, with courtesy light switch is nearest the driver followed by the hazard switch, then rear window defroster and finally the power point.

The hazard system on the 1990 donor wiring harness is strange due to the dashboard design Chrysler introduced in 1990. The turn signal switch was moved to a binnacle on top of the dash with the headlight switch, wiper switch was on the opposite side and instruments were in the resulting pod. The steering column has a turn signal cancel switch that connects to a solenoid in the turn signal switch and a hazard flasher switch. Since the switches in the pod are small push on push off single pole single throw essentially and are circuit board style, they can't handle the current required for the 2 low and 4 high beam headlights so there is a large relay panel for nearly everything on the car. The hazard switch has to ground 2 sets (4 total) of relays and change the connection for the combination flasher (which handles LED signal lights nicely). It ends up needing a 4 pole single throw switch to change from turn signal to hazard mode.

4PST isn't impossible, but it may be in a format that fits your implementation.

The bezel layout looks great, regardless! 👍

That sounds COMPLEX! A solenoid to cancel the turn signals? All to be able to put the switches above the column? :nabble_anim_confused:

Well, you've gotten pretty what you were looking for, and it looks great! Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds COMPLEX! A solenoid to cancel the turn signals? All to be able to put the switches above the column? :nabble_anim_confused:

Well, you've gotten pretty what you were looking for, and it looks great! Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Well, after getting the panel built, and going through some other things, I found the switch parts I had wanted to use to make it a push on, push off system, where in is normal and out is hazard on. I had a GM HVAC control I had gotten at Pick-n-Pull that had several push on, push off controls. Problem is they are a DPST switch that turns on or off functions. I had bought some 6 pole single throw switches to try to build something that would work. I tried doing one by soldering wires to the pins, melted part of the switch as they are intended to be mounted to a PC board.

The GM HVAC panel has small plugs that connect to various places, the pin spacing on the plugs exactly matches the pin spacing on the switches, so that means no soldering of wires to the switch. The front two pins are grounds so when the switch is in hazard the second row is grounded. All 4 turn signals are turned on or off with relays and one side is left side the other right side through a diode package that allows left and right turn or hazard. The plug is a 6 pin of which 5 are used to switch the flasher from turn to hazard mode which also changes the power source from ignition switched to direct battery.

DSCN4355.thumb.jpg.8331d96fd62bdc54a36d5565f7b23737.jpg

DSCN4356.thumb.jpg.663a73e56012748bf6ea145ca38d7b78.jpg

Well, after getting the panel built, and going through some other things, I found the switch parts I had wanted to use to make it a push on, push off system, where in is normal and out is hazard on. I had a GM HVAC control I had gotten at Pick-n-Pull that had several push on, push off controls. Problem is they are a DPST switch that turns on or off functions. I had bought some 6 pole single throw switches to try to build something that would work. I tried doing one by soldering wires to the pins, melted part of the switch as they are intended to be mounted to a PC board.

The GM HVAC panel has small plugs that connect to various places, the pin spacing on the plugs exactly matches the pin spacing on the switches, so that means no soldering of wires to the switch. The front two pins are grounds so when the switch is in hazard the second row is grounded. All 4 turn signals are turned on or off with relays and one side is left side the other right side through a diode package that allows left and right turn or hazard. The plug is a 6 pin of which 5 are used to switch the flasher from turn to hazard mode which also changes the power source from ignition switched to direct battery.

Bill - Are you saying you can use that switch and a couple of those connectors? And you'll have push on/push off on the hazards? Sorry, but I didn't fully understand.

Bill - Are you saying you can use that switch and a couple of those connectors? And you'll have push on/push off on the hazards? Sorry, but I didn't fully understand.

Yes, I had ordered several of these as the were not expensive, they have 3 sets of 3 pins on each side. The 2nd, 5th and 8th set are connected to the 3rd, 6th and 9th respectively with the switch in and 1st, 4th and 7th respectively with it out. due to the design of the system in 1990 and the use of very small switches to operated all the lighting, Chrysler used a bank of relays, 4 of which are for turn signals, 2 more are for cornering lights if installed. Since all this switch needs to handle is the flasher feed (15 amps hazard fuse and 20 amp signals) and to ground the 4 relays it should be OK.

DSCN4358.thumb.jpg.b1d29a17d59d2d50d44b1e58d005172b.jpg

DSCN4359.thumb.jpg.55ee8e0bfdff016d30cb0382de4dc5b7.jpg

The extra pair of wires (yellow and black) are for the illumination bulb.

Now I need to come up with a button or a new lens for one of the GM ones. One had a cracked inside tab, so I took it apart for some measurements of the button and lens.

DSCN4357.thumb.jpg.d8b49ce91377faff943dd39b250c75cc.jpg