Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

Progress is Good, Bill! :nabble_smiley_good:

I've never thought of the difference between a power point and a lighter socket, but today I learned something.

Thank You! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Jim, for future reference, pictures of the good lighter socket and the bad one. A parts store power point is usually just the inner and outer shells with a plastic insulated center contact and no bimetal fingers.

First the bad one:

DSCN4287b.thumb.jpg.37412b2a391a5503bebe57d0b0bba094.jpg

And the good one:

DSCN4284b.thumb.jpg.d555871c59ee27633ff9daed07c2a8c0.jpg

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, for future reference, pictures of the good lighter socket and the bad one. A parts store power point is usually just the inner and outer shells with a plastic insulated center contact and no bimetal fingers.

First the bad one:

And the good one:

I wasn't able to find a sheet of black Vinyl at Ace Hardware here in Exmore and don't really feel like buying 30 assorted colors to get one piece. I have some Scotch 2" wide fairly heavy black tape. Unfortunately the panel is close to 3 1/2" top to bottom so I had to overlap it. It was to get an idea of the final appearance.

Panel assembled:

DSCN4288.thumb.jpg.e2184b5660cbc5d281949fa9c7a33970.jpg

Panel in the center stack to be installed in the car:

DSCN4290.thumb.jpg.5f86a3d7217ff77e0aa5b490645e48ae.jpg

I wasn't able to find a sheet of black Vinyl at Ace Hardware here in Exmore and don't really feel like buying 30 assorted colors to get one piece. I have some Scotch 2" wide fairly heavy black tape. Unfortunately the panel is close to 3 1/2" top to bottom so I had to overlap it. It was to get an idea of the final appearance.

Panel assembled:

Panel in the center stack to be installed in the car:

Looks good, Bill. But are you going to pull that and replace it? If so, what with?

I can probably scrounge up a piece of 'grained' ABS in black.

What is the overall size (rounded up) of that panel, Bill?

The widest is at the top 8", height is 3 1/2" the only issue might be attaching it, there are 5 #6-32 X 3/4" flat head Phillips screws that are covered by the tape. The panels are 3/32" thick and there is a 3/32" gap between them. I countersunk the screws so they are flush with the panel front panel.

The widest is at the top 8", height is 3 1/2" the only issue might be attaching it, there are 5 #6-32 X 3/4" flat head Phillips screws that are covered by the tape. The panels are 3/32" thick and there is a 3/32" gap between them. I countersunk the screws so they are flush with the panel front panel.

I will have a look and see what I can scrounge.

Are you saying 3/32 would be ideal?

Or that you already have over a 1/4 and need something as thin as possible?

Maybe a swatch of Naugahyde?

I will have a look and see what I can scrounge.

Are you saying 3/32 would be ideal?

Or that you already have over a 1/4 and need something as thin as possible?

Maybe a swatch of Naugahyde?

3/32" thick is what I have now (it's actually 2mm) as I made them from parts of the old 1986 burgundy dash. If you have a piece of the hide from a wild Nauga, that would work as it can be attached with plyobond (sticky yellow stuff).

3/32" thick is what I have now (it's actually 2mm) as I made them from parts of the old 1986 burgundy dash. If you have a piece of the hide from a wild Nauga, that would work as it can be attached with plyobond (sticky yellow stuff).

If we are into mythical creatures like Naugas, that plyobond is aka gorilla snot.

If we are into mythical creatures like Naugas, that plyobond is aka gorilla snot.

I always thought it was 'Pliobond' in the little tin tubes.

Haven't seen that in decades but remember dipping the spout and threads in Vaseline to be able to get the cap off next time.

The Naugha's natural habitat is on the tree lined banks of the scenic Naugatuck River, right here in Connecticut!

They are not as elusive as the unicorn, and were decimated because of their trusting nature, much like the Blue Footed Booby.

I always thought it was 'Pliobond' in the little tin tubes.

Haven't seen that in decades but remember dipping the spout and threads in Vaseline to be able to get the cap off next time.

The Naugha's natural habitat is on the tree lined banks of the scenic Naugatuck River, right here in Connecticut!

They are not as elusive as the unicorn, and were decimated because of their trusting nature, much like the Blue Footed Booby.

That's the stuff! The little self-healing little tin tubes. What a surprise when one of those creases sprung a leak and got it on your hands, which then got it on whatever you were working on. But next time around that leak had sealed up.