Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

Bill - It does look good. But I'm not sure I'd use double-sided tape between the panels. How are you going to get them apart if you need to? Like getting to those screw heads?

How about Velcro? Or maybe gluing nuts to the back side of the outside panel and use a spacer between the two panels to get the right distance? Or, maybe glue coupling nuts on and use their length to form the distance?

Gary, I may just put some sort of filler in between the two pieces, like some of the foam rubber used in packing as the metal panel will be retained by the faux wood trim that fits inside the outer rim. Velcro is an option, possibly in between the components where the sheet metal might vibrate.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, I may just put some sort of filler in between the two pieces, like some of the foam rubber used in packing as the metal panel will be retained by the faux wood trim that fits inside the outer rim. Velcro is an option, possibly in between the components where the sheet metal might vibrate.

Bill - Ok, I missed that it'll be retained otherwise. So the foam would help give it stiffness awa keep it from rattling.

Ok here is where I am at currently, this is the internal panel which will have a sheet metal panel with probably Vinyl put over it. Probably 2mm between, and attached with thick 2 sided tape. It will also be retained by the plastic faux wood trim panel. The two angled tabs have clip nuts on them for two retainer screws on the upper portion of the lower opening. The empty space is where the rear window defroster control goes, circle is for the power point which will be mounted to the metal panel only.

I don't really have any experience with electronic clusters, but can understand how you may need to dim it.

The mounting looks good and solid. 💪

Is that a tack weld at the top edge?

I don't really have any experience with electronic clusters, but can understand how you may need to dim it.

The mounting looks good and solid. 💪

Is that a tack weld at the top edge?

Jim, the panel so far is almost entirely ABS plastic. It is "welded" using a slurry of scraps in MEK and Acetone (perks of knowing several chemists). Once it completely sets it is quite strong.

Jim, the panel so far is almost entirely ABS plastic. It is "welded" using a slurry of scraps in MEK and Acetone (perks of knowing several chemists). Once it completely sets it is quite strong.

Ok, here are a couple of pictures of the almost finished product, The faceplate is a piece of file folder stock from our primary election back in June, they were giving the ballots in a folder so it was private while carrying it to the counting machine and we were told due to Covid they would not be reused. These were 17" wide so won't fit our file cabinet.

Final faceplate will be metal with probably black Vinyl stuck to it. Empty space on the right will be the power point. First picture is of the panel by itself and the second is the center stack with it installed. As you can see the faceplate will be retained by the faux wood trim.

DSCN4279.thumb.jpg.449000295c7c1e1ba2257bc514333f62.jpg

DSCN4280.thumb.jpg.c1c9c82f81ff46384fbdf0b6f65cdb4f.jpg

Ok, here are a couple of pictures of the almost finished product, The faceplate is a piece of file folder stock from our primary election back in June, they were giving the ballots in a folder so it was private while carrying it to the counting machine and we were told due to Covid they would not be reused. These were 17" wide so won't fit our file cabinet.

Final faceplate will be metal with probably black Vinyl stuck to it. Empty space on the right will be the power point. First picture is of the panel by itself and the second is the center stack with it installed. As you can see the faceplate will be retained by the faux wood trim.

Looks great, Bill! I think you are going to be very pleased with it. :nabble_anim_claps:

Plenty of room there!

I like tactile feedback and don't think I could drive a vehicle with just a touchscreen.

Looking good Bill! :nabble_smiley_good:

Plenty of room there!

I like tactile feedback and don't think I could drive a vehicle with just a touchscreen.

Looking good Bill! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thank you Jim, I have two vehicles with touchscreens and have gotten used to using them, but where this sits, unless I am at a stop, it will be done by feel. The radio sits in the large opening above that panel and the HVAC control head is in the smaller opening above the radio.