Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

I understand the difference between an object and the application thereof. But I thought Bill was saying that the 460’s don’t have a serpentine belt system. That’s where I’m hung up.

Gary, quit overthinking and look at the rotation directions, On the Taurus, V8 & V10 mod motors other than the Lincoln Continental, the water pump rotates backwards from the crank. This involves using the back (flat) side of the belt to achieve it. On the Continental and the 7.5L (460) all drive/driven pulleys turn the same direction, clockwise and are driven by the ribbed side of the belt.

I have always referred to a single drive belt running multiple accessories as a serpentine and flat ribbed belt as a polygroove especially if it is only running one or two accessories.

1996_E__F_series_7.thumb.jpg.1407021a21573c811104d6d5937aed20.jpg

Arrows note direction of belt travel.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, quit overthinking and look at the rotation directions, On the Taurus, V8 & V10 mod motors other than the Lincoln Continental, the water pump rotates backwards from the crank. This involves using the back (flat) side of the belt to achieve it. On the Continental and the 7.5L (460) all drive/driven pulleys turn the same direction, clockwise and are driven by the ribbed side of the belt.

I have always referred to a single drive belt running multiple accessories as a serpentine and flat ribbed belt as a polygroove especially if it is only running one or two accessories.

Arrows note direction of belt travel.

If I’d never been accused of overthinking then I might be offended, but I have and I am so I won’t. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But to be clear, in your way of thinking a serpentine system uses a polygroove belt to drive things with both sides of the belt. And a system that uses a polygroove belt to drive things off just the ribbed side of the belt is a polygroove system. Right?

If I’d never been accused of overthinking then I might be offended, but I have and I am so I won’t. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But to be clear, in your way of thinking a serpentine system uses a polygroove belt to drive things with both sides of the belt. And a system that uses a polygroove belt to drive things off just the ribbed side of the belt is a polygroove system. Right?

That is how I differentiate the two, I may not be totally correct. It is more a way of understanding what I am working on than a "politically correct" name.

I currently have a 1993 GMC 3500 HD 6.5L turbodiesel sitting here I need to figure out what it needs and get the needed parts ordered for it. It belongs to a wrecker company in Hampton, he brought it over on his low deck roll back.

IMG_2891.thumb.jpg.d1dce9a209449fecf52dab51e528c46e.jpg

IMG_2892.thumb.jpg.1c0efcb90a0f9f0f471c73f2a82e77bc.jpg

IMG_2894.thumb.jpg.839e3bb28d8b1a1cde8959faeddba773.jpg

It has the Roosamaster injection pump and it is leaking probably from the input shaft seals. Since it has been sitting for 10 years (basically since I moved from Newport News) I haven't gotten it started yet and Being nearly 30 years old, I suspect the turbo may need replacing also.

That is how I differentiate the two, I may not be totally correct. It is more a way of understanding what I am working on than a "politically correct" name.

I currently have a 1993 GMC 3500 HD 6.5L turbodiesel sitting here I need to figure out what it needs and get the needed parts ordered for it. It belongs to a wrecker company in Hampton, he brought it over on his low deck roll back.

It has the Roosamaster injection pump and it is leaking probably from the input shaft seals. Since it has been sitting for 10 years (basically since I moved from Newport News) I haven't gotten it started yet and Being nearly 30 years old, I suspect the turbo may need replacing also.

Nice to see you with a GMC Bill! :nabble_anim_claps:

• 1 month later...

Just here for repairs. I have trolled one friend over here. I sent him the last picture from my phone and he swallowed it, he thought I had bought a wrecker.

Back to our regularly scheduled program. I did some more work on the timing belt system for the hybrid 2.5L. First I found a belt the correct length and width, and surprisingly is actually for a 2.4L DOHC Chrysler engine, it is a Gates T246, 150 teeth and 29mm width.

IMG_2942.thumb.jpg.d451d5844c1d7f06b76b23aed02a828f.jpg

Here are the cams timed (no valve gear at present).

IMG_2943.thumb.jpg.4927f3ac2cf113cdfd129654b0c59562.jpg

Crank gear, not completely finished, bolts were for turning things through at least two crank revolutions.

IMG_2944.thumb.jpg.72b38b65fe68e7af5261ad34a974fc4c.jpg

Automatic tensioner after turning through two crank revolutions.

IMG_2946.thumb.jpg.4948986625858493b59ce754114d8927.jpg

Here is one of the stumbling blocks, this is the intermediate shaft gear from the back. I either had to adapt an extra cam gear (if I wanted to maintain the correct ratio) or modify a 1989 gear to be in the correct plane as the others. Since I will be running an intake cam driven distributor, or possibly a DIS system, correct ratio wasn't needed, I used a 40 tooth 1989 gear rather than trying to make a 42 tooth cam gear fit. One of the concerns was the clearance between the belt where it leaves that gear and the front seal housing casting.

IMG_2948a.thumb.jpg.f4d2754ca39f7f3024263e097ce268f0.jpg

I cut a square tooth (pre-1989) gear down to make a 10mm thick spacer so I didn't have to figure out a way to make keyway in it. This puts the intermediate shaft gear in plane with the cam gears and retains the key on the shaft so it can't slip (it drives the oil pump gear).

Back to our regularly scheduled program. I did some more work on the timing belt system for the hybrid 2.5L. First I found a belt the correct length and width, and surprisingly is actually for a 2.4L DOHC Chrysler engine, it is a Gates T246, 150 teeth and 29mm width.

Crank gear, not completely finished, bolts were for turning things through at least two crank revolutions.

Here is one of the stumbling blocks, this is the intermediate shaft gear from the back. I either had to adapt an extra cam gear (if I wanted to maintain the correct ratio) or modify a 1989 gear to be in the correct plane as the others. Since I will be running an intake cam driven distributor, or possibly a DIS system, correct ratio wasn't needed, I used a 40 tooth 1989 gear rather than trying to make a 42 tooth cam gear fit. One of the concerns was the clearance between the belt where it leaves that gear and the front seal housing casting.

I cut a square tooth (pre-1989) gear down to make a 10mm thick spacer so I didn't have to figure out a way to make keyway in it. This puts the intermediate shaft gear in plane with the cam gears and retains the key on the shaft so it can't slip (it drives the oil pump gear).

That's a good idea, Bill! Good thinking. :nabble_anim_claps:

And the tensioner looks about right. Right?

So, what's next?

Progress!!! :nabble_smiley_good:

That's a good idea, Bill! Good thinking. :nabble_anim_claps:

And the tensioner looks about right. Right?

So, what's next?

Yes, the reference pointer is where it should be. The gears seem to be cast steel so I may be able to relieve the OD of the two pieces at their junction and mig them together using my stub shaft mandrel for alignment. Then I can remove a chunk of the hub inside that gear so the bolt won't be quite as long.

Nice job!

Very interesting.