Bullnose Forums

Project 83 F100 mutt

MarkF100

This build is finally started. This truck is a true mutt of a truck. Not much on it came that way from the factory. The bed came from another. The 9 inch came from a 1972 pickup. The steering column from something else. The dash, probably from the same place as the steering column. The hood is a Copo replacement. The engine and transmission from a 73 Torino. 351 Cleveland with the FMX.

Engine is out and torn down.

351c_pulled.jpg.2de57a5003a09b504d0d67cf10191104.jpg

After tearing the Cleveland down I could see that this thing was really on it's last leg. The cam bearings were deteriorating.

Cam_bearing.jpg.019b76f225c8b43d1467274e33ffe424.jpg

On it's way to Marty's machine shop.

Going_to_Marty_s.jpg.19f572df50ea258ef777b51077db78f7.jpg

Marty will be doing a complete bottom rebuild. .600 lift roller hydraulic cam, .030 bore, forged pistons, align bore crank and cam passages, turn the crank and resize bearings, machine the crank pilot for the TCI AOD, new cam bearings and degree the cam when installed and, redecking. 10.5:1 compression. With the Trick Flow heads, Air Gap intake and, a 750 on top I'm looking at 500+ hp and just about the same in torque.

Marty helped me to come up with this combination of parts (he builds drag race engines.) I want something that is street-able yet still able to go to the strip and run with the big dogs.

Now comes the clean up and paint and...

F100_engine_bay.jpg.9c9c6d53f1769115151202295cebe186.jpg

Cool project! And that’s going to be fun engine. Lots of power!

When you clean up are you going to remove the leftover 300 six perch?

Its not a mutt that is hot roding :nabble_anim_jump:

I saw the 600 lift cam and got thinking that is a large cam for a street truck then saw it will be used at the strip too.

Sounds like a cool project.

Dave ----

Cool project! And that’s going to be fun engine. Lots of power!

When you clean up are you going to remove the leftover 300 six perch?

Removing that old 300 mount today, when I get started cleaning her up. Throughout the winter months, the bed will come off for paint. The last owner welded thick diamond plate into the bed. That is a lot of weight to be removed. Good piece of diamond plate for other stuff. Cab off for paint. Frame will get blasted coated with POR15. Hope to have her back on the road come summer.

Its not a mutt that is hot roding :nabble_anim_jump:

I saw the 600 lift cam and got thinking that is a large cam for a street truck then saw it will be used at the strip too.

Sounds like a cool project.

Dave ----

Yup the cam is as big as you can go for street/strip. I was considering .665. I ran a .665 in a 355 Chevy. Had it in my 80 El Camino SS. Power brakes were near non existent. Awful vacuum, but mean as hell. That car was for drag racing. This one needs to be able to roam the streets.

Yup the cam is as big as you can go for street/strip. I was considering .665. I ran a .665 in a 355 Chevy. Had it in my 80 El Camino SS. Power brakes were near non existent. Awful vacuum, but mean as hell. That car was for drag racing. This one needs to be able to roam the streets.

Mark,

There is a fellow forum member [Alex Guenther] who posted on Market Place Want to Buy that he was "Looking for 300 Engine Perches".

David

While awaiting other stuff, I decided to start the removal of the diamond plate that the last guy welded to the sides of the bed.

There was 18 of these to cut.

Removing this plate will lighten the load and make way for a nice wood bed. :nabble_smiley_happy:

That looks like a LOT of work! But you are right, that's how to take it out. And it will certainly lighten the load. Can't wait to see the new bed. :nabble_smiley_good: