Bullnose Forums

Duraspark II-ish Starting Issue?

Jason2215

To confirm, you want me to video the red multimeter cable on 4, and black on the neg battery terminal?

Bingo. Set the multimeter to 20 on DC if that is an option.

Looking forward to finding out what's going on with this. :nabble_smiley_good:

If you want to get a jump on the next step - crawl under by the starter with your multimeter and touch the red probe to the terminal with 3 wires and the black to the thick flange of the starter the bolts goes through to mount it. Should see the full battery voltage. Then go ahead and run a 8/10awg wire from the stud the red wire used to be on and bring it up to the fmr. Don't hook it to anything yet though. Just get it there and ready.

Here’s the videos of what I see on the meter when testing post 4. The first is using the DCV option and second is the 12v battery load test option. Same result. You can see it go haywire when I touch the post.

I DO see full battery voltage at the starter post with the three wires, but remember I’m linked directly from the battery right now, not through post 1 on the fmr Thanks!

Here’s the videos of what I see on the meter when testing post 4. The first is using the DCV option and second is the 12v battery load test option. Same result. You can see it go haywire when I touch the post.

I DO see full battery voltage at the starter post with the three wires, but remember I’m linked directly from the battery right now, not through post 1 on the fmr Thanks!

Basically what I think that is saying is that terminal 4 has neither power nor ground on it and is floating. So the meter is searching for ANY voltage on it and keeps turning down the scale until it finds something.

Do you have a test light? Or a 12v bulb you can wire from terminal 4 to ground? If it doesn't come on, and I'm sure it won't, then check terminal 4 with your meter. It should show 0 volts.

Basically what I think that is saying is that terminal 4 has neither power nor ground on it and is floating. So the meter is searching for ANY voltage on it and keeps turning down the scale until it finds something.

Do you have a test light? Or a 12v bulb you can wire from terminal 4 to ground? If it doesn't come on, and I'm sure it won't, then check terminal 4 with your meter. It should show 0 volts.

Just picked up a separate meter w the 20 option to make things easier. We’re at 0 bolts on terminal 4. Full battery voltage at starter. Awaiting further instructions. :nabble_anim_claps:

DC mA is milli amps, or 1 millionth of an amp if I remember correctly. Just a thought. Keep going Scott

If you want to get a jump on the next step - crawl under by the starter with your multimeter and touch the red probe to the terminal with 3 wires and the black to the thick flange of the starter the bolts goes through to mount it. Should see the full battery voltage. Then go ahead and run a 8/10awg wire from the stud the red wire used to be on and bring it up to the fmr. Don't hook it to anything yet though. Just get it there and ready.

Your new meter has confirmed my suspicions - the other meter is SENSITIVE! So I think you are ready for Scott's "next step".

Thx!

Great! I've never messed with an auto-ranging setting so that's good to know. Thanks Gary and Steve. :nabble_smiley_good:

Perfect. You are correct - that three wire post will have constant voltage on it at all times and this was just to ensure the starter was grounded through the block.

The next step is to run a 8/10awg wire from the stud on the starter solenoid that the red wire used to be on and bring it up to #4 on the fmr.

At this point you are ready to start it.

The two fuse links on the three wire post on the starter solenoid could be moved up to #1 on the fmr if you want it closer to original and I would for visibility and easier future troubleshooting but it doesn't have to be done right now. When doing so increase the awg of the short wire between the POS battery terminal and #1.

Great! I've never messed with an auto-ranging setting so that's good to know. Thanks Gary and Steve. :nabble_smiley_good:

Perfect. You are correct - that three wire post will have constant voltage on it at all times and this was just to ensure the starter was grounded through the block.

The next step is to run a 8/10awg wire from the stud on the starter solenoid that the red wire used to be on and bring it up to #4 on the fmr.

The two fuse links on the three wire post on the starter solenoid could be moved up to #1 on the fmr if you want it closer to original and I would for visibility and easier future troubleshooting but it doesn't have to be done right now. When doing so increase the awg of the short wire between the POS battery terminal and #1.

Thanks Scott. Should I alter the routing of the pos batt cable to terminal 1, then to starter or leave the pos battery cable directly from batt to starter?

ITS ALLIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE!!!!!

You are a scholar and a gentleman!