Bullnose Forums

Another dual tank/guage problem

Starliner

IIRC the ground wire for the rear of the 82 or 83> trucks runs to the fire wall behind the radio as a bunch go there.

I am pretty sure the 80/81 trucks don't have this ground and things ground to the frame or somewhere else on the body. I know my 81 does not have this "behind the radio" ground but has a bunch on the firewall in the engine bay side.

Also how is the ground from the battery to motor / frame / body?

If the frame or body ground is in question that could be the issue.

Dave ----

Well, gremlins are back.

This morning neither gas guage worked, later the front tank was registering.

I guess it's time to roll up my sleeves and break out the test equipment.

Well, gremlins are back.

This morning neither gas guage worked, later the front tank was registering.

I guess it's time to roll up my sleeves and break out the test equipment.

Bummer! I'm not big on any of the AMC cars, but Gremlins were the worst. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, my experience has been that the sending units tend to be intermittent and quit sending at spots in their range. So my testing would start by grounding the sending unit wire near the tank and checking to see that the gauge goes to full scale. If so, that proves the wiring to that point and all you have left is the connection to the sending unit, the sending unit itself, and its ground.

Bummer! I'm not big on any of the AMC cars, but Gremlins were the worst. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, my experience has been that the sending units tend to be intermittent and quit sending at spots in their range. So my testing would start by grounding the sending unit wire near the tank and checking to see that the gauge goes to full scale. If so, that proves the wiring to that point and all you have left is the connection to the sending unit, the sending unit itself, and its ground.

Ok, knowing the intermittent thing is encouraging.

It's all junk replacement parts.

What good is a lifetime warranty on a part which never works.

Pintos where worst than Gremlins :nabble_anim_blbl:

FYI Gremlins were the only compact car you could buy from the factory with a v8 motor and was a 5.0 (304) at that!

75grem_motor001.jpg.3babf4e04271cfe4a117a4b8bc80e853.jpg

That gauge, if it stopped working for both tanks it would have to be something common like the switch or the ground as I think the same grounding point is used for both.

If just 1 tank then I would look at that tanks plug & sender.

Dave ----