Bullnose Forums

Speedometer issue

84FS460

I used a speedometer app on my phone and one of those street signs near school zones that tell you how fast your going to see what the real speed is and its off by one mph. I'm content with that.

I'm not absolutely sure, but they both look to me like 7 teeth in his photos

Yes, the cable, speed control transducer, or speedo itself must be dragging badly. Something is binding up.

Have you lubed the speedo cable? Pulled it and looked it over?

It's a brand new cable and I didn't lube it. Paid the price for that mistake. Time to go find a driven gear now.:nabble_smiley_sleep:

It's a brand new cable and I didn't lube it. Paid the price for that mistake. Time to go find a driven gear now.:nabble_smiley_sleep:

I wouldn't think even a dry new cable would do that. I've had dry cables and all they did was cause the speedo to bounce.

Pull the inside cable out and gently run you fingers down it. Gently because there can be wires sticking out that will hurt. Look for rough spots.

20201003_123936.jpg.99d905f9e880e3ac53b4db7b66e5c077.jpg20201003_124101.jpg.853d9e30ed647b83d8e8ae2a2a5996ea.jpg

Well the speedometer isn't working again the new drive gear that I spent a lot of money on it and its damaged again and the driven gear on the cable is damaged as well. I swaped in the old cable that came with the truck because it was lubricated already and there was nothing wrong with it anyway. I checked it with a drill to make sure it wasn't binding up and there is nothing wrong, so what is causing this? I am really frustrated I have spent a lot money to fix this and I'm back to square one again. :nabble_smiley_angry:

Well the speedometer isn't working again the new drive gear that I spent a lot of money on it and its damaged again and the driven gear on the cable is damaged as well. I swaped in the old cable that came with the truck because it was lubricated already and there was nothing wrong with it anyway. I checked it with a drill to make sure it wasn't binding up and there is nothing wrong, so what is causing this? I am really frustrated I have spent a lot money to fix this and I'm back to square one again. :nabble_smiley_angry:

That is a bummer! Do you have the two-piece cable with the speed control transducer in between? If so, might one of those cables be bad? How 'bout the transducer? The speedometer itself?

That is a bummer! Do you have the two-piece cable with the speed control transducer in between? If so, might one of those cables be bad? How 'bout the transducer? The speedometer itself?

I don't have cruise control in it just a one piece cable from speedometer to transfer case. The speedometer is working ok to 35 mph then becomes 2 mph faster then the pickup is going but doesn't seem to act like it's causing anything to bind up.