Bullnose Forums

No Brake Lights/Hazard Lights

Machspeed

Hey Fellas, I was mess'in with my lights today and noted that I had no brake lights. Further checking noted I had no hazard lights. All other lights work. Is there an electrical relationship between the brake and hazard lights? If the flasher was bad, would the brake lights also fail to come on?

I pulled the flasher and took it in to AZ and the guy told me it was no longer available and that I would have to acquire one at a salvage yard.....WHAT!!! Tried to locate one at RockAuto but either I'm entering the wrong nomenclature or the AZ rep was correct.

Flasher.jpg.40190e0740a9268e2d7e35179633aafe.jpg

The first relationship is the fuse so I'd check that to ensure it's good. The second is the Hazard/Turn Signal Switch.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/turn-stop--hazard-lamps.html

I am going to assume the parts guy was purely looking at the number on the yours and not using logic. You just need a round, 2 pin flasher.

For example: Standard EFL552

If you are going to leds you'll need one like United Pacific LED Flashers 90650

The first relationship is the fuse so I'd check that to ensure it's good. The second is the Hazard/Turn Signal Switch.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/turn-stop--hazard-lamps.html

I am going to assume the parts guy was purely looking at the number on the yours and not using logic. You just need a round, 2 pin flasher.

For example: Standard EFL552

If you are going to leds you'll need one like United Pacific LED Flashers 90650

Thanks for the response and the wiring schematic, Scott. I don't know why but I have such a bad time finding things. I need to study the website better. The fuse is good, first thing I checked. Probably the turn signal switch, which I need to replace anyway. While the turn signals work, I need to hold down for a right hand turn. Gonna look at the smaller individual things first....i.e. brake switch.

Thanks for the response and the wiring schematic, Scott. I don't know why but I have such a bad time finding things. I need to study the website better. The fuse is good, first thing I checked. Probably the turn signal switch, which I need to replace anyway. While the turn signals work, I need to hold down for a right hand turn. Gonna look at the smaller individual things first....i.e. brake switch.

If it were the flasher OR the brake switch you wouldn't lose both.

The fuse and the turn switch are the only things common to both.

9216266_orig.jpg.71faeeb80388d0646fad551174b7de58.jpg

John, it sounds alot like you need to bite the bullet and replace the turn signal switch. The reason I am saying that is that the brake lights are wired through the turn signal switch. When you push the lever down for the left turn signal, it canceles the left brake light and makes it flash for the signal. Same with the flashers, it was mandated that the flashers were to be on their own or seperate circute, hence the reason you have two flasher relays. All of this goes through the turn signal switch and out to the lights.

This is just my humble opnion and by all means, do all of the trouble shooting you think you need to do because changing the turn signal switch is a major PITA

John, it sounds alot like you need to bite the bullet and replace the turn signal switch. The reason I am saying that is that the brake lights are wired through the turn signal switch. When you push the lever down for the left turn signal, it canceles the left brake light and makes it flash for the signal. Same with the flashers, it was mandated that the flashers were to be on their own or seperate circute, hence the reason you have two flasher relays. All of this goes through the turn signal switch and out to the lights.

This is just my humble opnion and by all means, do all of the trouble shooting you think you need to do because changing the turn signal switch is a major PITA

Agree Steve, I'm in denial......arghhh! Indeed, I've read that the replacement is a PITA. I wished I had caught this when I had most of the dash out in the blend door repair.

Recommendations for replacement switch and procedure?

Agree Steve, I'm in denial......arghhh! Indeed, I've read that the replacement is a PITA. I wished I had caught this when I had most of the dash out in the blend door repair.

I've been told the Doorman one is crap, but mine has been fine for over a decade.

Procedure?

What is there to pulling off the steering wheel?

John, I have found that between six to eight wraps of det cord will in fact take it apart in seconds. The problem is finding all of the parts to put it back together.:nabble_smiley_whistling:

The best way for me is to remove the steering wheel first, then take the colum out of the pickup and put it in a bench vice. Then start taking it apart. Cutting the plug off of the wires helps to get the wires out and gives you a wiring diagram to put it back together. Tape a piece of safety wire to the old wires and pull it through the housing when you pull out the old switch. That way you can tape it to the new wires to help pull them through the colum when you put the new switch in.