Bullnose Forums

Pulling the Lower Manifold

My understanding is that you don't want the manifold to be larger than the head as that causes turbulence and slows the flow. But it is ok for the manifold to be smaller than the head.

I've used the gasket as the standard, and opened up to match it. I paint the head with bluing, put the gasket on, and scribe a line. Then port out to that.

Gary - I completely agree on the manifold ports needing to be the same size or smaller than the head ports. I can mark the heads with the head gaskets and the manifold with the gasket, but since the heads are on the motor and I can't port match those right now. Trying to figure out the easiest way to transfer the head port sizes over the manifold.

Gary - I completely agree on the manifold ports needing to be the same size or smaller than the head ports. I can mark the heads with the head gaskets and the manifold with the gasket, but since the heads are on the motor and I can't port match those right now. Trying to figure out the easiest way to transfer the head port sizes over the manifold.

Oh! Duh! :nabble_smiley_blush:

Now I understand the question. Can you put heavy paper against the head, held on with bolts in the bolt holes, and gently cut it out to match the head?

Oh! Duh! :nabble_smiley_blush:

Now I understand the question. Can you put heavy paper against the head, held on with bolts in the bolt holes, and gently cut it out to match the head?

Grease or paint on the head surfaces will transfer to the lower?

There will be some misalignment because of the missing gasket thickness.

Back in the day we would use pizza box for templates like this.