Bullnose Forums

New 3-D Printer

Dorsai

Not sure whether this should go here, in the 'Garage/Shop & Tools' sub-forum, or just as a random post in the general forum...but, I finally got a 3-D printer! I was supposed to have gotten it back in March as an anniversary present, but then Covid arrived and suddenly we had bigger things to worry about.

Now we're tired of worrying about that stuff, so we decided to spring for a Creality CR-10S Pro V2 (whew!) printer. Our son Dominic has expressed interest in 3-D printing ever since he joined the HS robotics team, and I have some ideas of my own for it - one of which is a speaker grille protector for those of us with mostly-intact dashboard speaker grilles who would like to keep them. I've also got an idea for an automated temperature control system for a Big Green Egg, but that's not really relevant to this forum. :nabble_smiley_happy:

The Post Orfice delivered it yesterday afternoon, and by early evening Dominic and I had gotten it assembled:

image0.thumb.png.433e7547756f50094d99e7d58df1f2dc.png

And by 11pm last night we had printed our first viable Calibration Cat:

image1.jpeg.6a84242cf0d8a069dac86b2dc668898a.jpeg

Now it's printing a test object to see what temperature is optimal for the spool of filament that I'm using. After that...who knows? I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Nyan!

That's really cool Matthew.

How large is the stage on that model?

Or I should ask what's the print envelope?

The base is 300mm x 300mm, and it can print up to 400mm tall. I can't imagine needing more than that, at least not in the short term.

Nyan!

That's really cool Matthew.

How large is the stage on that model?

Or I should ask what's the print envelope?

The base is 300mm x 300mm, and it can print up to 400mm tall. I can't imagine needing more than that, at least not in the short term.

That's some pretty amazing height!

What kinds of filament can you use?

PLA, ABS, Nylon?

PLA, ABS, Nylon?

PLA and ABS, yes. Also some other types I’m not familiar with, like TPU and composite filament. Nylon is a no-go without modifying the printer first, apparently it needs a higher temperature than the printer is really good for.

All of the above could be wrong, I am very new to this...

PLA, ABS, Nylon?

PLA and ABS, yes. Also some other types I’m not familiar with, like TPU and composite filament. Nylon is a no-go without modifying the printer first, apparently it needs a higher temperature than the printer is really good for.

All of the above could be wrong, I am very new to this...

Yes, nylon is high temp.

But with the array of heads out there it may be possible, if the power demands are able to be met.

I try to learn about these things even though I'll never have one.

Try following CNC kitchen on YouTube.

Very relatable and good at showing, as well as talking.

Very nice!

I have the Ender 3 Pro and it's amazing what you will find to print.

Mines been working tonight printing a spacer for the Odyssey battery so the factory hold down bracket will fit it :nabble_smiley_beam:

Excited to see what you print with yours.

Speaking of the speaker grill, for those that are too far gone I like the idea of a recessed tray for coins, sunglasses, etc.