Bullnose Forums

How To Catalog Reviews?

Gary Lewis
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In this post Vic Roma asked "Is it worth noting which company sells good mirrors, and other repro products?" I could have answered in that thread, which is the review of LMC - Long Motor Company, but I think the question deserves to be considered in its own thread.

Basically it got me to thinking about how to catalog reviews. One approach would be have a two dimensional review board, with suppliers across the top and components down the side, and y'all provide the ratings. But that leaves someone, probably me, having to compile the info and watching to see if/when it changes.

Instead, we could do something similar to what we are doing with the vendors and use a poll - like the one below. I can't change the poll after it is created, meaning I can't add vendors, so we'd have to agree which ones to go with from the start, and all polls would be limited to those vendors.

However, that doesn't really work very well since you may not know who has good mirrors. Take Ray, for instance, who said "Side mirrors are crap from LMC. Don't order them." So how would he vote? And I can't put multiple polls in a post.

Or, I could make the question negative, like "Who sells crap mirrors?" But then what if you get good mirrors? How would you vote?

Bottom Line: I think there's a way to do it but it isn't coming to me. Help! Suggestions, please!

I don't think you need to at all.

Ray threw out a comment just like I could say "they sell quality window cranks! 10/10 would recommend! :nabble_smiley_good:"

But it doesn't say anything about the window cranks, or compare them to factory or other aftermarket.

If Ray had said "The tin is like a soda can and the plating was rusting within a month.

The heads are loose and flop over and the mounting holes don't match those of the factory door."

Then I have a review.

I can hear where the apparent problems are, and I can decide if I want to chance it, or take their word for it and look elsewhere.

All too often I glance at the Amazon ratings and click a button.

If it comes and is crap, I look at reviews and they have no substance.

OR

Like George pointed out, you have people who rank on something when they bought the wrong item in the first place/misused it from the start.

I don't think you need to at all.

Ray threw out a comment just like I could say "they sell quality window cranks! 10/10 would recommend! :nabble_smiley_good:"

But it doesn't say anything about the window cranks, or compare them to factory or other aftermarket.

If Ray had said "The tin is like a soda can and the plating was rusting within a month.

The heads are loose and flop over and the mounting holes don't match those of the factory door."

Then I have a review.

I can hear where the apparent problems are, and I can decide if I want to chance it, or take their word for it and look elsewhere.

All too often I glance at the Amazon ratings and click a button.

If it comes and is crap, I look at reviews and they have no substance.

OR

Like George pointed out, you have people who rank on something when they bought the wrong item in the first place/misused it from the start.

I agree with Jim, i started writing and found what i ended up with was pretty much what he said.

You know when we first started with the ac in brutus, i was not happy at all with 4 seasons and all there catalog mistakes which i finally clear'd up. The system so far is running and performing quite well, but me personally am not ready to review it yet, it needs a bit of time and also to drive the truck at highway speeds to really know. But as it stands right now i'm very happy, will i remain happy, that remains to be seen

so maybe a part where one could do follow ups

I think there are two big metrics to evaluate:

- The quality of vendor as a business. This includes customer service, ease of ordering, whether "in stock" really means "in stock", etc.

- The quality of individual products from any given vendor.

For product evaluation, there is likely to be broader agreement on which products are crap rather than which products are high quality.

- The quality of vendor as a business. This includes customer service, ease of ordering, whether "in stock" really means "in stock", etc.

For product evaluation, there is likely to be broader agreement on which products are crap rather than which products are high quality.

The thread is "Vendor Reviews and Ratings"

What that has to do with any products a vendor might offer, I have no clue..

I agree with Jim, i started writing and found what i ended up with was pretty much what he said.

You know when we first started with the ac in brutus, i was not happy at all with 4 seasons and all there catalog mistakes which i finally clear'd up. The system so far is running and performing quite well, but me personally am not ready to review it yet, it needs a bit of time and also to drive the truck at highway speeds to really know. But as it stands right now i'm very happy, will i remain happy, that remains to be seen

so maybe a part where one could do follow ups

So, you'd say their cataloguing is poor, but the hose you needed (and eventually got) fits well and seems of good quality?

That your air conditioning is working well with the correct hose in place?

That you reserve the right to change your opinion if it doesn't hold up long term?

All the above seem fair.

Did you reach out to 4-Seasons customer service or their tech department for assistance when you realized the catalog was wrong and the counter person knew no better?

I'm fortunate to still have an automotive radiator and AC service shop locally.

Ricky Piper has been in charge since he inherited it from his dad.

If I went in there and asked why XYZ hose didn't fit he'd probably laugh and pat me on the back.

... then go pull the right one off the shelf.

I agree. Our Vendor Reviews & Ratings folder is for the former, and what I am trying to do is come up with something for the latter - the quality of individual products.

For instance, someone recently asked about bumpers. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a thread on Bumpers that rated the ones from the various vendors? And Ray posted in the vendor review & ratings thread about LMC's mirrors - which is not what that thread is intended for. But we don't have a place to house comments about mirrors, so since it was about LMC he chose to put it there.

And since it isn't likely anyone would take the time to read all the posts in a thread about bumpers or mirrors to suss out who has good ones, I'm trying to come up with a way to rate them - w/o having a thread for LMC's bumpers and another one for NPD's bumpers, etc.

I agree. Our Vendor Reviews & Ratings folder is for the former, and what I am trying to do is come up with something for the latter - the quality of individual products.

For instance, someone recently asked about bumpers. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a thread on Bumpers that rated the ones from the various vendors? And Ray posted in the vendor review & ratings thread about LMC's mirrors - which is not what that thread is intended for. But we don't have a place to house comments about mirrors, so since it was about LMC he chose to put it there.

And since it isn't likely anyone would take the time to read all the posts in a thread about bumpers or mirrors to suss out who has good ones, I'm trying to come up with a way to rate them - w/o having a thread for LMC's bumpers and another one for NPD's bumpers, etc.

Gary; Maybe having catagories and sub catagories may help

like - Exterior Parts and Trim

then have sub catatgories like : Body panels - trim - bumpers - Mirrors - Glass etc

Just a thought. this may organize it a bit

Jim Wrote

So, you'd say their cataloguing is poor, but the hose you needed (and eventually got) fits well and seems of good quality?

That you reserve the right to change your opinion if it doesn't hold up long term?

All the above seem fair.

Did you reach out to 4-Seasons customer service or their tech department for assistance when you realized the catalog was wrong and the counter person knew no better?

------------------- The answer to all the above questions is yes.------

I did call 4 seasons and question them on the liquid line and was told they sell many of these for these trucks and none have had any issues. I took them on there word.

Some of this is partially my fault. When i got all the parts in, we thought we were at the point to install it when in fact everything kept coming up and eventually took 3 months to get it finally installed. When the system first arrived, i checked everything and the liquid line just did not look correct to me and is when i called them and was told what i was told. I just put it off to the side and when it came time to install I knew there was no way that liquid line was going to attach to the condenser.

I ran to autozone just on a whim hoping to find a fitting to make this hose attach to the condenser. There was a guy i never seen there, he ask me what i needed and i told him what was going on. This dude reminded me of myself when i was in parts and did what i would have done and just start randomly looking up different trucks and different years and we eventually stumbled on a hose that looked correct. He said they had it at the hub so he ordered it for me and i did not have to pay, he said when it comes in, see if it is correct, if not just tell them it is wrong. I ask him what year he looked up, he said an 88.

Long story short the hose came in and was correct.

Once i got the hose, i started doing some more research because my suction line was wrong. It was for manufl shut off valve at compresser. ( fortunately i found Brutus's original compresser with the manual shut off valves on the manifolds ) so i was able to use the hose. But when looking up Brutus, it only gives the hose for the valve, not the one without. The guy at autozone looked up for an 88, i went to autozone site and it gives no info on that hose for an 88 which I have an 88 parts truck and the ac system is totally different.. I started digging and doing my thing and eventually found all the different hoses and numbers that fit the different setups on our trucks.

I did a post on the subject giving all the correct part numbers, but am not sure if i put it in the right place, or if there is a place for that. Gary if you could correct me on this, i can put it in the correct location

So if i have to review 4 seasons, i would have to give them a middle of the road rating

My compresser does have a warped pulley, it does not effect belt travel, it is the outside edge that is either bent or warped. I didn't notice it until the system was connected and we began to charge it. I was at the point that if i pulled it, i would have to flush the system I still dont know what to do about it, like i said, it does not affect belt travel, but i want to see how the system is going to hold up.

As far as the products. My whole system is 4 seasons, as far as the products go, I rate them very high ( as of right now ) everything seams of high quality and the system works very well

Gary; Maybe having catagories and sub catagories may help

like - Exterior Parts and Trim

then have sub catatgories like : Body panels - trim - bumpers - Mirrors - Glass etc

Just a thought. this may organize it a bit

Jim Wrote

All the above seem fair.

------------------- The answer to all the above questions is yes.------

I did call 4 seasons and question them on the liquid line and was told they sell many of these for these trucks and none have had any issues. I took them on there word.

Some of this is partially my fault. When i got all the parts in, we thought we were at the point to install it when in fact everything kept coming up and eventually took 3 months to get it finally installed. When the system first arrived, i checked everything and the liquid line just did not look correct to me and is when i called them and was told what i was told. I just put it off to the side and when it came time to install I knew there was no way that liquid line was going to attach to the condenser.

I ran to autozone just on a whim hoping to find a fitting to make this hose attach to the condenser. There was a guy i never seen there, he ask me what i needed and i told him what was going on. This dude reminded me of myself when i was in parts and did what i would have done and just start randomly looking up different trucks and different years and we eventually stumbled on a hose that looked correct. He said they had it at the hub so he ordered it for me and i did not have to pay, he said when it comes in, see if it is correct, if not just tell them it is wrong. I ask him what year he looked up, he said an 88.

Long story short the hose came in and was correct.

Once i got the hose, i started doing some more research because my suction line was wrong. It was for manufl shut off valve at compresser. ( fortunately i found Brutus's original compresser with the manual shut off valves on the manifolds ) so i was able to use the hose. But when looking up Brutus, it only gives the hose for the valve, not the one without. The guy at autozone looked up for an 88, i went to autozone site and it gives no info on that hose for an 88 which I have an 88 parts truck and the ac system is totally different.. I started digging and doing my thing and eventually found all the different hoses and numbers that fit the different setups on our trucks.

I did a post on the subject giving all the correct part numbers, but am not sure if i put it in the right place, or if there is a place for that. Gary if you could correct me on this, i can put it in the correct location

So if i have to review 4 seasons, i would have to give them a middle of the road rating

My compresser does have a warped pulley, it does not effect belt travel, it is the outside edge that is either bent or warped. I didn't notice it until the system was connected and we began to charge it. I was at the point that if i pulled it, i would have to flush the system I still dont know what to do about it, like i said, it does not affect belt travel, but i want to see how the system is going to hold up.

As far as the products. My whole system is 4 seasons, as far as the products go, I rate them very high ( as of right now ) everything seams of high quality and the system works very well

Ok, so online or telephone customer service gave you the brushoff.

I don't expect these people to be any more than button pushers looking for a solution to make you happy.

Hopefully 4-Seasons has got the feedback they need to correct their catalog, and will push it down the chain to wholesalers and retailers.

I'm hoping your system lives up to expectations, and you don't have to deal with it again for a long time. 😉