Bullnose Forums

Forum Hosting Plans - Update

Gary Lewis

Do you know about Nabble? That's the code we are running.

I can't say I know Nabble specifically, but what I do know is Linux, PostgreSQL, Java, Python and the like, the basic underpinnings of what run it.

I know AWS extremely well. What I can say, is LightSail is more expensive than using more native solutions, like running direct EC2 instances, even with the DB running on them. Having said that, LightSail is easier to manage, as it is a prepackaged setup.

I can't say I know Nabble specifically, but what I do know is Linux, PostgreSQL, Java, Python and the like, the basic underpinnings of what run it.

I know AWS extremely well. What I can say, is LightSail is more expensive than using more native solutions, like running direct EC2 instances, even with the DB running on them. Having said that, LightSail is easier to manage, as it is a prepackaged setup.

I know very little about all this. But Nabble is a language, as explained briefly

. I've contracted with a gentleman that used to work for the outfit called Nabble, and he has gotten the open-source version of Nabble running on AWS servers for us. The thing keeping us from going live is that email notifications aren't working,

We initially started on AWS EC2 servers and that was running into ~$90/month. So we moved to Lightsail and have the cost down to ~$30/mo.

Our response time on the Nabble servers is getting worse steadily, so we need to move ASAP. Hopefully the email issue will be sorted soon.

I know very little about all this. But Nabble is a language, as explained briefly

. I've contracted with a gentleman that used to work for the outfit called Nabble, and he has gotten the open-source version of Nabble running on AWS servers for us. The thing keeping us from going live is that email notifications aren't working,

We initially started on AWS EC2 servers and that was running into ~$90/month. So we moved to Lightsail and have the cost down to ~$30/mo.

Our response time on the Nabble servers is getting worse steadily, so we need to move ASAP. Hopefully the email issue will be sorted soon.

I'm happy to jump in and help meaning "hands on keyboard" to see what I can do. Let me know, we can setup a call if needed.

I'm happy to jump in and help meaning "hands on keyboard" to see what I can do. Let me know, we can setup a call if needed.

Thanks, but I just got a note from the guy saying he thinks he can get it done in the next couple of days, and since I contracted with him for the job I need to see it through.

Maybe as we go forward?

• 4 weeks later...

following

My cousin Vinny! Where you been? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, probably time for an update for y'all. Pedro, the admin that's been working to get the Nabble software running on our AWS servers has been hung up doing other things and still hasn't gotten the email notifications working yet. But he knows he won't get paid until he does, so it'll happen. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And that is about all that is keeping us from going live on the new servers. Hopefully soon!

My cousin Vinny! Where you been? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, probably time for an update for y'all. Pedro, the admin that's been working to get the Nabble software running on our AWS servers has been hung up doing other things and still hasn't gotten the email notifications working yet. But he knows he won't get paid until he does, so it'll happen. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And that is about all that is keeping us from going live on the new servers. Hopefully soon!

Maybe your cousin Vinny needs to make some cement shoes! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

• 4 months later...

I took note of your test user on Gabble.

Is there any progress or update?

Glad you got that email, Jim. And thanks for mentioning it as I should have warned y'all.

Yes, there is progress. Pedro uploaded a recent backup of this forum onto our AWS servers and modified the email system, and we are banging on it to test it. At this point it is working better than last time in that we are getting email notification of people registering. However, when I registered this morning with that test user and clicked the "confirm" link I was sent I got an error message. But, the registration worked and we, the admins, got an email to that effect.

So apparently the email system on the forum is working better this round. And if all checks out we may move around August 1st.