Bullnose Forums

Forum Hosting Plans - Update

Gary Lewis

Time for yet another update. Especially since I've been seeing slow response times and other issues from Nabble when I post on the forum.

As background, we are running on Nabble software on Nabble servers - for free. But the powers that be have realized that they aren't covering their costs and are migrating more and more forums onto fewer servers in order to reduce their costs. And that has had its impact on response time - to the point that sometimes things time out and get dropped.

But the software, called Nabble, was made open source, so a couple of us have been working with a system admin to bring it up on servers we control. He got really close with one outstanding problem, lack of email notification, when I realized that the service we'd selected, Amazon Web Services, was costing a whole bunch more than expected.

After a call with AWS we turned that instance off and the sys admin has brought the Nabble software up on another Amazon service called Lightsail, which is far less expensive. At this point we are just about ready to upload one of the 3.6 gig backups of this forum to Lightsail and prove that we are back to where we were and ready to tackle the email problem.

Once the email problem is solved, which will take some time as the sys admin has to find all of the instances in the code that send email and change them, we'll plan the migration - assuming no other problems are found twixt now and then. But there will be plenty of information shared as we get closer to that. Hopefully it won't require any changes on your end, but we will let you know.

In the interim:

Thanks from all of us to you, Gary, for all the time, energy and resources you, personally, invest for our benefit! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks from all of us to you, Gary, for all the time, energy and resources you, personally, invest for our benefit! :nabble_smiley_good:

Welcome, David. It does take some time, but it isn't too much. And I'm learning as I go, so it is an experience. Mostly good, but sometimes stressful as new problems arise and I don't immediately have a good solution.

But we are going to get "there". I have faith. And "there" is a forum with software that is running on servers for which we've contracted. In other words, captains of our own destiny!

Time for yet another update. Especially since I've been seeing slow response times and other issues from Nabble when I post on the forum.

As background, we are running on Nabble software on Nabble servers - for free. But the powers that be have realized that they aren't covering their costs and are migrating more and more forums onto fewer servers in order to reduce their costs. And that has had its impact on response time - to the point that sometimes things time out and get dropped.

But the software, called Nabble, was made open source, so a couple of us have been working with a system admin to bring it up on servers we control. He got really close with one outstanding problem, lack of email notification, when I realized that the service we'd selected, Amazon Web Services, was costing a whole bunch more than expected.

After a call with AWS we turned that instance off and the sys admin has brought the Nabble software up on another Amazon service called Lightsail, which is far less expensive. At this point we are just about ready to upload one of the 3.6 gig backups of this forum to Lightsail and prove that we are back to where we were and ready to tackle the email problem.

Once the email problem is solved, which will take some time as the sys admin has to find all of the instances in the code that send email and change them, we'll plan the migration - assuming no other problems are found twixt now and then. But there will be plenty of information shared as we get closer to that. Hopefully it won't require any changes on your end, but we will let you know.

In the interim:

I thought it was just me.

Keep on truckin' ! :nabble_smiley_good:

(It's a lyric from the song, Gary)

• 1 month later...

In the interim:

This is a big deal to do, Gary, I'm glad you're making progress? Heh...

This is a big deal to do, Gary, I'm glad you're making progress? Heh...

Yes, we are making progress. The forum is running on AWS servers, and a lot better I might add. But the email notifications aren't all working - yet. The sys admin, Pedro, that is working on it says he thinks he'll have those issues fixed by the end of the month.

Then we need to sort out why we can't log onto the embedded version but can by going directly to it. Probably some setting I've not got right.

And after that we can move.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, we are making progress. The forum is running on AWS servers, and a lot better I might add. But the email notifications aren't all working - yet. The sys admin, Pedro, that is working on it says he thinks he'll have those issues fixed by the end of the month.

Then we need to sort out why we can't log onto the embedded version but can by going directly to it. Probably some setting I've not got right.

And after that we can move.

If you are still having issues, let me know. I can help (as this type of things is my day job).