Bullnose Forums

Forum Hosting Plans - Update

Gary Lewis

As I'm sure you are aware, the service we've gotten on the Nabble server hasn't been all that good of late. And, I've told you about plans to fix that problem. Here's the latest...

Some time ago a programmer got the open-source software that we use for the forum, called Nabble, to run on his own server. So the next step has been to secure a commercial server on which to host that software. With some research we settled on Amazon Web Hosting, and as of this morning we've contracted with AWS for a server that should give us excellent response time and a lot of room to grow.

It will take some time to load up the software, load up one of our forum backups, and check everything out. I'm sure problems will arise along the way, but I feel pretty confident that this is going to work, and work very well.

Ultimately we will have to cut over to the new server and take down the old one. And while that may take a few hours, the expectation is that all of our history will be preserved and everyone can log back in as if nothing has happened.

I'll let you know when I know more, but hang in there, relief is on its way. :nabble_anim_working:

Great choice! I've been working on getting certifications for AWS products, I never realized just how flexible and powerful they are. I'm sure the forum will be great at its new home. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Thanks, Matthew. That's reassuring to know.

We are going with the Operating system (Linux), Quantity (1), Storage for each EC2 instance (General Purpose SSD (gp2)), Storage amount (20 GB), Instance type (t3a.small). And that's a really small instance. But there are plenty beyond that, so there's basically no limit to how much computing we could have if we need it.

And effectively this will be "our" server. There are a few other really small forums that will be using it, but they are much smaller and have very little traffic - and none in some cases.

We are going with the Operating system (Linux), Quantity (1), Storage for each EC2 instance (General Purpose SSD (gp2)), Storage amount (20 GB), Instance type (t3a.small). And that's a really small instance. But there are plenty beyond that, so there's basically no limit to how much computing we could have if we need it.

And effectively this will be "our" server. There are a few other really small forums that will be using it, but they are much smaller and have very little traffic - and none in some cases.

Hey, I know what all that means! I'm sure that will be more than adequate...and if not, it's incredibly easy to scale up.

Matthew - I sent you an email, but signed it "Gary guy" instead of "Gary fellow" so you probably think it wasn't me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, take a look.

I'm a little slow, but I did get it figured out. :nabble_smiley_happy:

As I said in my reply, I'm at your service. Let me know how I can help.

I'm following with trepidation and hope, that our current hosting problems can be resolved.

I'm following with trepidation and hope, that our current hosting problems can be resolved.

Matthew - I'm not sure how you can help, but the fact that you understood the requirements list tells me that you may be able to. Thanks! So, do you know your way around the AWS console? I don't, but will have to learn and you might be able to help me.

Jim - I have confidence that our problems will be resolved. We may get some new ones along the way, but the response time and too-busy ones should go away with this change.

The gentleman that is helping, Pedro, logged on yesterday afternoon and started setting up the server to support Nabble. In fact, he then came back via email and said that AWS is telling him that what he wants to do isn't in the "free" section and asked if he should proceed. I quickly said "Yes, PLEASE" as I'd already found that the cost is reasonable. He said that he's going to work on it quite a bit over this holiday, so I'm hoping that he has it up and running for two of Greg's forums by Monday.

Who is Greg, you might ask. (Jim, I know you know, but the others don't.) He's my mentor on Nabble and runs a few small forums for things like the church he attends and a sail boat that was made in that area of the UK at one point in time. A couple of those forums are the test cases for this migration since their backups are quite small. Pedro got them up on a server a friend of his was renting and that proved the concept. So I'm sure they are what he's loading up on AWS at the moment.

And when we get this up and running Greg's forums and ours will be the only ones on this server. So we should have excellent response time and no overloads!

Matthew - I'm not sure how you can help, but the fact that you understood the requirements list tells me that you may be able to. Thanks! So, do you know your way around the AWS console? I don't, but will have to learn and you might be able to help me.

I'm learning rapidly, so feel free to shoot me any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them.

I'm learning rapidly, so feel free to shoot me any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them.

Matthew - I'm not smart enough to even ask questions. :nabble_smiley_cry:

All - The AWS server is now up and Pedro has put up two of Greg's forums on it. And I've created a new forum, called Bullnose Test Forum, and embedded it on the website. You can see it in the menu as New Bullnose Test Forum.

You can go look at it and even register if you want, but I'm the only admin on it so it may take a bit for me to let you in. And, I don't remember what the bog stock registration is, so don't know what you will encounter if you do that.

But, if you do register you'll be free to play around. However, note that we will probably delete that forum so anything you type is a throw away.

Still, you can check out the speed of the new server, which is FAST!