Bullnose Forums

Joe

1985 f150 long bed 2wd that came stock with a 351w high output and a c6. Both of those were busted and broken from previous owners neglecting an understanding of what large quantities of stop leak will do to an engine and transmission. Trying to swap to a 300 and 5spd I had laying around. Already found lots of useful information and cant wait to find more.

Welcome Joe! :nabble_waving_orig:

I hope you get all the information and help you need.

It's no small project changing pedal boxes, steering columns, crossmember and engines.

Plus with a 300 you'll need a radiator and exhaust system too.

But we're here to offer advice and work through problems with you! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Trying to swap to a 300 and 5spd I had laying around. Already found lots of useful information and cant wait to find more.

Welcome aboard Joe. I did a 5spd swap on my 1984 F150 2wd (factory 302 truck) and I'm just in the process of building a 1980 F150 that will have a 300/6 and a 5spd. A 5spd swap is relatively easy on these trucks, depending on what parts/equipment you're using. I couldn't go back now to a 4spd (or a 3spd).

Trying to swap to a 300 and 5spd I had laying around. Already found lots of useful information and cant wait to find more.

Welcome aboard Joe. I did a 5spd swap on my 1984 F150 2wd (factory 302 truck) and I'm just in the process of building a 1980 F150 that will have a 300/6 and a 5spd. A 5spd swap is relatively easy on these trucks, depending on what parts/equipment you're using. I couldn't go back now to a 4spd (or a 3spd).

But it's much easier if you're starting with a manual instead of a C6..

Oh yes, of course, but in my mind, all you need to source is the manual pedal set. Everything else you're changing or adapting anyway. Of course it is convenient if you can re-use the existing trans crossmember, and other odds and ends, but over all it's not a bad job. The easiest part of a manual to manual swap is that you already have the pedal set...assuming it is a later model Bullnose with factory hydraulic clutch.

Oh yes, of course, but in my mind, all you need to source is the manual pedal set. Everything else you're changing or adapting anyway. Of course it is convenient if you can re-use the existing trans crossmember, and other odds and ends, but over all it's not a bad job. The easiest part of a manual to manual swap is that you already have the pedal set...assuming it is a later model Bullnose with factory hydraulic clutch.

I suppose you could even leave the column and cluster if all you cared about was something that moves under its own power.

I suppose you could even leave the column and cluster if all you cared about was something that moves under its own power.

Ya, a lot of people want to also swap in a manual trans column, but unless you have lots of junkyards around with Bullnoses, those columns are not easy to come by (and they're expensive used, and bulky to ship). I basically converted my existing column, but I had taken it apart previously so it was one of those things that is a bit of a hassle the first time, and then easy the second time...lol.

In any case, we're here to help the OP with any manual trans swap information he may need. I've done the M5OD-R2, and there are a few that have done the ZF5, and I believe we have at least one member on here with the Mustang 5spd installed. We have it covered one way or another.

Ya, a lot of people want to also swap in a manual trans column, but unless you have lots of junkyards around with Bullnoses, those columns are not easy to come by (and they're expensive used, and bulky to ship). I basically converted my existing column, but I had taken it apart previously so it was one of those things that is a bit of a hassle the first time, and then easy the second time...lol.

In any case, we're here to help the OP with any manual trans swap information he may need. I've done the M5OD-R2, and there are a few that have done the ZF5, and I believe we have at least one member on here with the Mustang 5spd installed. We have it covered one way or another.

Yep! BTDT.

I don't think there are any perches for a 300.

Don't the mounts bolt directly to the crossmember?