Bullnose Forums

Speedometer Cable

Machspeed

I was hoping to check out my newly acquired tach equipped instrument panel tonight but have to replace the speedo cable first, as I damaged it in removal. And, of course, it's kicking my butt and frankly I'm quite miffed, not to mention a little embarrassed that I'm posting on something that seems quite simple!!! I need to separate the cable from the gear assembly and there is a clip holding it in.....see photo. I have pulled and pried on that clip from the looped end but it will not come out. I've put a lot of force on it and fear I could damage the assembly. Before I really get after it, want to make sure I'm removing it correctly? Comments please???

Also, regarding my new gauge assembly, is it possible to reset the mileage to my old assembly? I know they make these tamper proof to avoid fraud but thought I'd ask. Seems I saw something on it somewhere sometime back.

Thanks!

Speedometer_Cable.jpg.dae15b8a085ca6b80f6cfbd393ff79a6.jpg

Yep, it is possible to reset the odometer to match your current on, and you can do that using Motorcraft/Ford instructions: Documentation/Electrical/Gauges and the Reset Odometer tab. (If you knew it was there and couldn't find it you weren't alone. I had to search for it. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

Yep, that's the way it is supposed to come apart, as shown below:

corrected-1986-later-9e731-illustration_orig.thumb.jpg.c8dfc0bf06f90b14ad1b636c9b28378f.jpg

I know I downright mangled the first one of those clips I pulled out. With the second one I might have pushed in on the clip while pulling it out?

Edit: incorrectly said 'cable' vs 'clip'

^^^ Push in, pull out.

(Though mine doesn't have a VSS)

It's easier if the gear drive is still in the transfer case, as you don't need another pair of hands to hold that in place, but it is still possible to get.

I'm sure a bench vice would help.

^^^ Push in, pull out.

(Though mine doesn't have a VSS)

It's easier if the gear drive is still in the transfer case, as you don't need another pair of hands to hold that in place, but it is still possible to get.

I'm sure a bench vice would help.

Thanks fellas, I messed with that thing for about an hour last night and finally just soaked it with PB Blaster. The way you're supposed to remove it is to pull up on the clip and simultaneously pull out on the cable, but it would not come out. I tried removal both on and off the trans. I'll probably remove the cable and jack with it on the work bench tonight. Below is a video of it's removal. It's on a Mustang but it is the same thing. Fast forward to about 3:45.

Gary, thanks for the odometer reset link.

Thanks fellas, I messed with that thing for about an hour last night and finally just soaked it with PB Blaster. The way you're supposed to remove it is to pull up on the clip and simultaneously pull out on the cable, but it would not come out. I tried removal both on and off the trans. I'll probably remove the cable and jack with it on the work bench tonight. Below is a video of it's removal. It's on a Mustang but it is the same thing. Fast forward to about 3:45.

Gary, thanks for the odometer reset link.

Leave the clip alone. Just pull the cable out past it. The clip is captive one the cable is in place.