Bullnose Forums

HEI install help please

JG2020

Hi everyone, finally getting around to this.

Removed all the spark plugs.

Took off dizzy cap

I turned the motor to TDC on # 1 with the rotor pointing to the number 1 plug wire on the dizzy.

I removed the distributor but the whole shaft came out with it ?

This is what I have. Any help appreciated !

IMG_20200901_123659.jpg.fecf20b24991ef34e9b6eec020a4d5e7.jpg

I'm not certain about the innards of a 300 engine, but in all the V-8's there is a collar (push washer) that installs below the boss in the block and retains the oil pump shaft.

I imagine you could stick it in your new distributor with something resilient (like RTV) at the same depth it is now, and put it back in when cured.

At least you wouldn't lose the shaft, and you won't have to try and get engaged while it's sitting over in the side of the distributor bore.

I'm not certain about the innards of a 300 engine, but in all the V-8's there is a collar (push washer) that installs below the boss in the block and retains the oil pump shaft.

I imagine you could stick it in your new distributor with something resilient (like RTV) at the same depth it is now, and put it back in when cured.

At least you wouldn't lose the shaft, and you won't have to try and get engaged while it's sitting over in the side of the distributor bore.

The oil pump drive shaft should pull out of the old distributor and click into the replacement distributor. Make sure it clicks and the pull gently to make sure it will not fall out as you install the new distributor.

The oil pump drive shaft should pull out of the old distributor and click into the replacement distributor. Make sure it clicks and the pull gently to make sure it will not fall out as you install the new distributor.

It might need quite a bit of force, mine did...

So David, on the 300 it stays with the dizzy?

That's cool!

I guess given that it is so much lower in the block the shaft is fairly easy to engage in the pump rotor?

That's cool!

I guess given that it is so much lower in the block the shaft is fairly easy to engage in the pump rotor?

I guess you could say fairly easy... Fairly being a relative term. I've had to turn the engine over every time to get the dizzy to drop, normally resulting in it not dropping where I wanted it(timing wise) and having to do it again...

That's cool!

I guess you could say fairly easy... Fairly being a relative term. I've had to turn the engine over every time to get the dizzy to drop, normally resulting in it not dropping where I wanted it(timing wise) and having to do it again...

Sometimes, just slightly twisting the distributor, the shaft will go right back in place.

Sometimes, just slightly twisting the distributor, the shaft will go right back in place.

I managed it once David, but I was only putting it in to check the clearance of the base(without lining up the rotor any particular place), so it had to come out again anyway...:nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Ok, thanks! I will try and pop it out of the old one.

I will come back with a report of success hopefully.

Ok, thanks! I will try and pop it out of the old one.

I will come back with a report of success hopefully.

New plugs are gapped at . 050 and installed. HEI is installed hopefully close to correct timing. Oil pump shaft took a very hard y

ank and it released so thanks for that tip!

Now I need to find a power source for the pos. wire off the dizzy . Does the vacuum advance need to go anywhere special or just a like size port on the vacuum tree ?

Thanks again !

IMG_20200901_144716.jpg.cc1cce998771fd2fb79206f005cbd178.jpg

IMG_20200901_145814.jpg.0fa8207f968e0d01307da28c439aa7fe.jpg

IMG_20200901_152631.jpg.85ad97663be29721e42322924f27f22e.jpg