Bullnose Forums

1982 XLS Flareside

Chris, maybe brushed aluminum decals would be the way to go if you have someone that can do them. you were very lucky to find them to begin with. Tell me, i cant see from the pics, whats really wrong with them? Are you keeping the stock rims and painting them the correct color?.

George, you may not have been around but we have a member, Perry, who does restorations on Lincoln interiors and was looking to replicate the XLS finish in vinyl.

He had some parts for patterns, and close matches, but not quite perfect.

He got wrapped up in moving, family, etc...

But it might be good to knock him up and see where he stands.

His work is mighty impressive!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Woodgrain-repair-kit-for-ideas-only-tp30473.html

George, you may not have been around but we have a member, Perry, who does restorations on Lincoln interiors and was looking to replicate the XLS finish in vinyl.

He had some parts for patterns, and close matches, but not quite perfect.

He got wrapped up in moving, family, etc...

But it might be good to knock him up and see where he stands.

His work is mighty impressive!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Woodgrain-repair-kit-for-ideas-only-tp30473.html

I just checked it out. Thats the same as i had on my Mark VI, or IV i get them confused, it was a 6. Looks pretty good from what i can see. I dont know if they still make it or not, but way back when, you could buy aluminum tape, i haven't seen it in years.

I just checked it out. Thats the same as i had on my Mark VI, or IV i get them confused, it was a 6. Looks pretty good from what i can see. I dont know if they still make it or not, but way back when, you could buy aluminum tape, i haven't seen it in years.

You had it right, 5+1, not 5 depreciated 1.

Anyway, I keep bringing it up because I'm so very impressed by his work.

It's obvious Perry spent a lot of time getting the pattern and process down.

Great looking truck. As far as the radio bezel, you may want to find one on ebay and just paint it. These are pretty hard to find and are expensive when they can be found. The color should be an easy match. We had to re-paint ours when we took the dash out to mod it.

The brushed texture is one aspect that is difficult to address without going to a printed film such as vinyl or hydro dip. The color is another issue that is more difficult than it looks if you want to match one part with other OEM pieces. It is a very white cool silver. I was up to 8 or 9 different spray cans of silver/aluminum paint brands/codes and never found anything close. Most are far too dark and have some other color hue that does not match. I still hope one day to work out a clone technique but life dealt me other priorities for now.

Chris, I still like Gary’s idea of cutting out the holes with a mill, if you are willing to alter the original part. I wouldn’t go at it with a hand drill and coarse files, but fine bits in a press and a set of jeweler’s files files would also work if you are good with handwork.

Chris, I still like Gary’s idea of cutting out the holes with a mill, if you are willing to alter the original part. I wouldn’t go at it with a hand drill and coarse files, but fine bits in a press and a set of jeweler’s files files would also work if you are good with handwork.

I'm guessing this must be part of a FB *convo, or something? :nabble_anim_confused:

I’ve seen it at Home Depot.

I'm guessing this must be part of a FB combo, or something? :nabble_anim_confused:

Actually this was something Gary and I talked about when I came to Skiatook in 2017 (using a mill), and I have mentioned it to Chris by messenger. I think opening the clock holes, even without access to machine equipment, is an easier prospect than replicating the finish. Finding an OEM bezel with clock holes already in it is obviously the best, but for whatever reason the clock option was extremely uncommon for XLS.

Chris, maybe brushed aluminum decals would be the way to go if you have someone that can do them. you were very lucky to find them to begin with. Tell me, i cant see from the pics, whats really wrong with them? Are you keeping the stock rims and painting them the correct color?.

George, if you look at the instrument cluster bezel you will see some wearing on the left hand side.

I'm guessing this must be part of a FB combo, or something? :nabble_anim_confused:

Actually this was something Gary and I talked about when I came to Skiatook in 2017 (using a mill), and I have mentioned it to Chris by messenger. I think opening the clock holes, even without access to machine equipment, is an easier prospect than replicating the finish. Finding an OEM bezel with clock holes already in it is obviously the best, but for whatever reason the clock option was extremely uncommon for XLS.

That is still in the back of my mind. It is just nerve-wrecking thinking about cutting a XLS bezel :nabble_anim_crazy: