Bullnose Forums

Just wanted to say hello!

There are the EVTM's listed under, documentation/electrical/EVTMs/(year range)/sub group, i.e. lighting.

There is also the Marketplace where you can see if someone has a 'free to a good home' listing or you can post in 'Wanted to Buy'.

Not too much different to plumbing electrons..

Valves, accumulators, manifolds, etc.

Thanks, I spent a few hours last night going thru those things. Very helpful! I still have some questions on abbreviations used for items in the diagrams but I have definitely made some headway.

Jim is right, the EVTM's are a lot easier to understand than wiring diagrams. They break each system into a page or two and describe how the system works as well as how to troubleshoot it.

So, what is the question on the dash/door lighting? Is there a way I can map it out for you?

Yes the EVTM's are very helpful, especially for the issues I have with the truck right now! I have eliminated some stuff that is integrated into so many other things, it just gets confusing! Like cruise control and the emissions stuff, why is the clock run thru the cruise control box? Anyway, thanks for all the help so far, I definitely feel a lot less stressed after last night looking thru all your material! It should be a great week for the truck, hopefully I can get the dash back in by Saturday.

Thanks, I spent a few hours last night going thru those things. Very helpful! I still have some questions on abbreviations used for items in the diagrams but I have definitely made some headway.

Rusty recently posted a list of abbreviations and acronyms.

I asked him if it would be ok for Gary to use it here on the site.

Let me see if I can find it.

• 1 month later...

Ah, just a second page...

Abbreviations should be listed in the EVTM's as well.

Gary is great for including all the pages.

Well, it’s been a long 2 months! I’ve got almost everything wired up. A couple specific issues- the right head light is only getting 8 volts when on, the high beam is getting 12. 8 volts doesn’t seem to be enough to light it up. The high beam warning light also is lit very dimly on low beam and brightly on high. This is a new light, new harness and grounds are solid. I’m thinking of putting in some relays for the headlights. But want to make sure I don’t have another fire under the dash! Any ideas what could cause the voltage to drop like that?

Second issue- steering wheel is tilt, but it doesn’t lock into position, if you pull down on the wheel it drops to the lowest position. You have to push the turn signal lever in to move it back up.

Well, it’s been a long 2 months! I’ve got almost everything wired up. A couple specific issues- the right head light is only getting 8 volts when on, the high beam is getting 12. 8 volts doesn’t seem to be enough to light it up. The high beam warning light also is lit very dimly on low beam and brightly on high. This is a new light, new harness and grounds are solid. I’m thinking of putting in some relays for the headlights. But want to make sure I don’t have another fire under the dash! Any ideas what could cause the voltage to drop like that?

Second issue- steering wheel is tilt, but it doesn’t lock into position, if you pull down on the wheel it drops to the lowest position. You have to push the turn signal lever in to move it back up.

Let me see if I understand. The right headlight's low beam is only getting 8 volts but the left headlight gets 12 volts on low? And the high beam warning light is lit dimly when the headlights are on low, but brightly when they are on high?

If that is correct then I think you have at least two problems. In the schematic you can see that the left and right low (and high) beams are both driven by the same wire out of the dimmer switch, so for them to do different things means that something like Splice 811 is bad.

But, if the high beam warning light is on some when the headlights are on low that points to the dimmer switch itself. I'd start there and see if either cleaning or replacing it fixes at least the warning light problem, and maybe the low beam problem if I misunderstood.

1985-etm-page66.thumb.jpg.1534ae1f54694760352a82eeb5280b56.jpg