Bullnose Forums

Electrical Issues - 84 F250

swampedout

Very good!

I agree with Dave - odd that the jumper wire didn't work. Maybe it just wasn't seated fully. Either way, you're much better off now.

Right, Its stranded wire that was just shoved in there, so Im assuming it wasnt making good contact.

The red wire is power for an aftermarket tach. Ive replaced that setup with a real fuse tap for now.

Its a very minor victory but Ill take it!:nabble_anim_jump:

• 3 months later...

Right, Its stranded wire that was just shoved in there, so Im assuming it wasnt making good contact.

The red wire is power for an aftermarket tach. Ive replaced that setup with a real fuse tap for now.

Its a very minor victory but Ill take it!:nabble_anim_jump:

20210228_124147.jpg.4da566eeb2926d8724f058af2596e10c.jpg

Anyone know what this is for? Connectors come up behind the middle seat.

20210228_124125.jpg.e38f76fcb653cfd24883b27c7ad0098f.jpg

And this? Alarm?

Im still plugging away on these wires. Pulled wire looms for:

The Holley Sniper

GV Overdrive

Trailer Brakes

And a couple other strays

The Overdrive and Brakes are hopefully going back in some day. Trailer brakes first. Its still a mess but working on elimination.

Rear tank stopped working and theres still a drain somewhere...

And this? Alarm?

The Holley Sniper

GV Overdrive

Trailer Brakes

The Overdrive and Brakes are hopefully going back in some day. Trailer brakes first. Its still a mess but working on elimination.

I'd assume the connector in your hand is for the seatbelt warning buzzer.

I have no idea what that is on the back wall of the cab.

None of that wiring looks factory to me.

And this? Alarm?

The Holley Sniper

GV Overdrive

Trailer Brakes

I'm with Jim - the one in your hand is probably the seatbelt wiring, with a BR/LB wire and a BK wire. The other isn't factory so we can't tell from here.

I'm with Jim - the one in your hand is probably the seatbelt wiring, with a BR/LB wire and a BK wire. The other isn't factory so we can't tell from here.

I guess the previous owner didnt like wearing his seatbelt, the connector was unplugged. Thanks for the tip.

The black box is going in the wire pile as soon as I can trace the wires under the carpet.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the previous owner didnt like wearing his seatbelt, the connector was unplugged. Thanks for the tip.

The black box is going in the wire pile as soon as I can trace the wires under the carpet.

20210309_180634.jpg.2b8190cb27dc5ac548f791d85d679131.jpg

Looks like my tach was getting too many amps and overheated. Its been performing weird. Took the cover off and saw the old smoke signal. I wasnt really planning in digging into it. I just wanted to tune the carb a bit...

Ive got a standalone tach I tune my chainsaws with, Ill have to see if it does 8 cyls...

Now shopping for a new tach...

Looks like my tach was getting too many amps and overheated. Its been performing weird. Took the cover off and saw the old smoke signal. I wasnt really planning in digging into it. I just wanted to tune the carb a bit...

Ive got a standalone tach I tune my chainsaws with, Ill have to see if it does 8 cyls...

Yeah, I think the smoke really got out this time. But Bill/85lebaront2 has a jar of it, maybe you can put some back in? :nabble_smiley_wink:

What am I looking at that's supposed to be bad?

The Caps aren't bulging or blown up?

Edit:

It's a vehicular application.

"Potting" a few components (especially tall ones) isn't at all unusual...

What am I looking at that's supposed to be bad?

The Caps aren't bulging or blown up?

Edit:

It's a vehicular application.

"Potting" a few components (especially tall ones) isn't at all unusual...

I just snapped a quick photo for reference. Nothing jumped out at me except the whiff of smoke when I opened it up. Some of the potting was dripping but that could be from manufacturing.

Apparently autometer has excellent customer service so Im going to give them a call.

I just snapped a quick photo for reference. Nothing jumped out at me except the whiff of smoke when I opened it up. Some of the potting was dripping but that could be from manufacturing.

Apparently autometer has excellent customer service so Im going to give them a call.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too many amps".

The tach is only counting how often the ground connection is broken.

Hot melt glue usually look as dribbled on like that.

A few years back I would have had plenty of components to fix that antique.

But when I had to divest myself of storage, junk that had no future had to go.

Perhaps Autometer still has a service center where they can make repairs.