Bullnose Forums

Electrical Issues - 84 F250

swampedout

It is doing well, Jim. I charged it for several days on the 10 amp setting, which brought it up very slowly given its size. Then as it hit the low 13's the smart switch closed and the two batteries went into parallel, so I left the charger on the 10 amp setting until we hit 14.5 volts, at which point I dropped the charger to the 2 amp setting.

During that time I was working in the cab so had the doors open and the dome light and two footwell lights, all LED, as well as the parallel relay apparently pulled slightly more than 2 amps as the voltage would slowly go down during the day to maybe 12.4 volts, but then come back up to about 13.0 volts over night.

And after all that it seems to stay up at 12.8 now over night w/o the charger. So I think it is good.

Gary, I don't know if it's too late but there is some good news about the travel rules in New Mexico. I think the 14 day thing has been scaled back. I'm just going to post the link instead of trying to explain it myself.

https://www.sfreporter.com/news/2020/09/03/gov-amends-travel-quarantine-rules/

Hope you're having a good weekend! The new job has me working 9 and 10 hour days so I couldn't get in gear to submit my truck for the show:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Gary, I don't know if it's too late but there is some good news about the travel rules in New Mexico. I think the 14 day thing has been scaled back. I'm just going to post the link instead of trying to explain it myself.

https://www.sfreporter.com/news/2020/09/03/gov-amends-travel-quarantine-rules/

Hope you're having a good weekend! The new job has me working 9 and 10 hour days so I couldn't get in gear to submit my truck for the show:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Sam - Thanks, but it is a bit too late as we already have our reservations for Colorado. Shucks!

As for the weekend, it has been busy - mostly computing. I think I've processed ~30 show entries in the last two days.

• 2 months later...

I dont shave on the weekends:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Havent driven the truck in almost a month and the batteries ran down to about 4v. We had some snow and a good cold stretch, so I should have known to keep them charged up if its going to sit that long.

But something else is going on...

Havent driven the truck in almost a month and the batteries ran down to about 4v. We had some snow and a good cold stretch, so I should have known to keep them charged up if its going to sit that long.

But something else is going on...

You need to fully recharge the battery(ies) and then we'll go disconnecting circuits until the drain is tracked down.

It's probably best to remove one of the cables at this point.

You need to fully recharge the battery(ies) and then we'll go disconnecting circuits until the drain is tracked down.

It's probably best to remove one of the cables at this point.

Yes, and when you are disconnecting circuits I like to have a DVM between the battery's positive post and the positive cable to see which circuit is causing a drain. I always like to start on the 10 amp setting and then work down when I find that there's just a small current drain.

Oh yes, disconnect the dome and courtesy lights so you can have the door open.

But, if you are looking for a reason to buy a new tool, I really like this tester from Harbor Freight. You don't have to put the DVM between the battery and the positive cable, pull a fuse, go look, come back, etc. Just pull a fuse and plug this thing in and it'll tell you what the current draw is on that circuit.

image_14146.thumb.jpg.5bf5b6a77466b049329b97728e7b7f4d.jpg

Yes, and when you are disconnecting circuits I like to have a DVM between the battery's positive post and the positive cable to see which circuit is causing a drain. I always like to start on the 10 amp setting and then work down when I find that there's just a small current drain.

Oh yes, disconnect the dome and courtesy lights so you can have the door open.

But, if you are looking for a reason to buy a new tool, I really like this tester from Harbor Freight. You don't have to put the DVM between the battery and the positive cable, pull a fuse, go look, come back, etc. Just pull a fuse and plug this thing in and it'll tell you what the current draw is on that circuit.

Ok, Im going to spend a couple hours doing more tests this weekend.

Unfortunately, I just went to HF yesterday. I should have checked this thread earlier.

Ok, Im going to spend a couple hours doing more tests this weekend.

Unfortunately, I just went to HF yesterday. I should have checked this thread earlier.

Remove the positive lead from the main battery and put them on the charger tonight, so they are topped off before you start testing.