Bullnose Forum

Jim's 1982 300 Six Bronco Original Restoration

JimJam300

Over the past few days I've been thinking pretty hard about this.

I think I'm with you on not needing overdrive. I'm so used to the last manual I owned that I can barely remember what it feels like to drive and shift an old truck.

I don't even own anything that I can tow (yet), and this truck is going to be too nice for off-roading, so having a granny gear is not a necessity. Having those close ratios seems a lot nicer for everyday driving and the car I just sold was a 6spd so I'm already used to constantly shifting.

So I've been scouring the web for a T-19 and info. I found a 4x4 version at a junkyard for $155 which is too cheap to pass up, but I don't know which version it is. There's also a 2WD I found that's in great shape and it is FOR SURE a T-19A with the 4.02:1 1st gear. I figured I could use the shop at work to rebuild at least one of them since we have hoists, a hydraulic press, gearbox tools, parts washers, etc. So my understanding of converting a 2WD trans to a 4WD is swapping over the main shaft and xfer case adapter, which of course, is easier said than done. I've never opened up a transmission before but I asked an ex-mechanic co-worker about rebuilding old 4 speed manuals and he said it shouldn't be out of my reach.

The only thing I'm not sure about is what adapter I need for my NP208 case. Will a NP203 adapter work? Or can I use the one on the back of my SROD?

Ford's transfer case adapter was common to all gearboxes and transfer cases in this era.

That shouldn't be any problem, as long as the 4wd shifter linkage fits the same.

Ford's transfer case adapter was common to all gearboxes and transfer cases in this era.

That shouldn't be any problem, as long as the 4wd shifter linkage fits the same.

Jim,

With his T-case shifter being on the passenger side, would it still use the driver side boss on the transfer case adapter as the pivot point for the shifter? :nabble_anim_crazy:havent seen many photos of the srod setup.

Jim,

With his T-case shifter being on the passenger side, would it still use the driver side boss on the transfer case adapter as the pivot point for the shifter? :nabble_anim_crazy:havent seen many photos of the srod setup.

I honestly don't know.

This is why I say the adapter length and flange bolt pattern are the same, but I'm not sure about how the linkage mounts.

Edit: ... without seeing them side by side.

Maybe it can simply be clocked 180°?

I honestly don't know.

This is why I say the adapter length and flange bolt pattern are the same, but I'm not sure about how the linkage mounts.

Edit: ... without seeing them side by side.

Maybe it can simply be clocked 180°?

mine wouldnt, as the bolt pattern on the transmission is a trapezoid. I also have an alignment dowel on the transfer case flange. that would be nice though..

mine wouldnt, as the bolt pattern on the transmission is a trapezoid. I also have an alignment dowel on the transfer case flange. that would be nice though..

I'll get under the truck tonight and take photos. And when I yank the transmission and case I'll bolt everything up on the ground and take photos of that too.

I can't imagine there's a lot of SROD photos to compare to. I bet most of em have already been recycled into beer cans.

I'll get under the truck tonight and take photos. And when I yank the transmission and case I'll bolt everything up on the ground and take photos of that too.

I can't imagine there's a lot of SROD photos to compare to. I bet most of em have already been recycled into beer cans.

Okay so here's some pictures I scoured from the internet of transmissions identical to mine.

The case adapter is definitely not going to work...

1.thumb.jpg.e69682a25d0f4381dc9af762adcc87a2.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.1dcd0e47bc706d565a62bd29e8c054ec.jpg

3.jpg.262968ce26a5d4bfdc294a43e61e3005.jpg

Okay so here's some pictures I scoured from the internet of transmissions identical to mine.

The case adapter is definitely not going to work...

Id say youre correct about that. On the bright side, the adapter you need should be orders of magnitude more plentiful. On that train of thought, you might consider selling the srod or its adapter instead of "throwing it in the volcano".

Id say youre correct about that. On the bright side, the adapter you need should be orders of magnitude more plentiful. On that train of thought, you might consider selling the srod or its adapter instead of "throwing it in the volcano".

I'm already finding brand new adapters online for $175. I'm hoping a transmission I purchase already has one on there. The more parts, the better. I'll clean and sandblast them at work and then I'll sell them to the masses.

Hopefully I can find a buyer for the SROD... The 4x4 version appears to be exceedingly rare and was in, what, SOME 1980-83 F-150s and Broncos only? I'm cursed with limited space to store anything so it may end up in the dumpster at work if I can't sell it.

Anyway. At work yesterday I punched out the neoprene bushings on my shackles and leaf springs using a hydraulic press. 3/4" drive socket extension works really good at removing the rubber. The entire truck is getting polyurethane in lieu of rubber. Except bump stops, but those don't matter.

As soon as I get my body mounts in the mail, I'm putting back in the rear axle housing. I have everything so far except a new third member which is going to hurt in the wallet. Not putting in the fuel tank or rear brakes until I've successfully trained myself with tube flaring and have painted the frame section around the transmission. The truck hasn't sat on 4 tires since April before I got The Covid so it'll be nice to not work under jack stands for a while.

I'm already finding brand new adapters online for $175. I'm hoping a transmission I purchase already has one on there. The more parts, the better. I'll clean and sandblast them at work and then I'll sell them to the masses.

Hopefully I can find a buyer for the SROD... The 4x4 version appears to be exceedingly rare and was in, what, SOME 1980-83 F-150s and Broncos only? I'm cursed with limited space to store anything so it may end up in the dumpster at work if I can't sell it.

Anyway. At work yesterday I punched out the neoprene bushings on my shackles and leaf springs using a hydraulic press. 3/4" drive socket extension works really good at removing the rubber. The entire truck is getting polyurethane in lieu of rubber. Except bump stops, but those don't matter.

As soon as I get my body mounts in the mail, I'm putting back in the rear axle housing. I have everything so far except a new third member which is going to hurt in the wallet. Not putting in the fuel tank or rear brakes until I've successfully trained myself with tube flaring and have painted the frame section around the transmission. The truck hasn't sat on 4 tires since April before I got The Covid so it'll be nice to not work under jack stands for a while.

Just ordered my third member for the rear axle. It was about $300 more for a Strange Engineering iron case and a fancy pinion support, but with my 115 rated factory horsepower, I don't think I'm going to break anything back there. Nonetheless, it comes with Motive gears, Timken bearings, and the Eaton TrueTrac diff.

Third_Member_Order_Sheet.png.e7e97692b91cc2f6406fc8cb03bac0a8.png

Selling the car I owed $4700 on for $13,700 has given me the ability to make some of these high dollar purchases to get this project moving. I think the rear end and everything in the vicinity will be at the bottom of the list of the more expensive things I will do.

Just ordered my third member for the rear axle. It was about $300 more for a Strange Engineering iron case and a fancy pinion support, but with my 115 rated factory horsepower, I don't think I'm going to break anything back there. Nonetheless, it comes with Motive gears, Timken bearings, and the Eaton TrueTrac diff.

Selling the car I owed $4700 on for $13,700 has given me the ability to make some of these high dollar purchases to get this project moving. I think the rear end and everything in the vicinity will be at the bottom of the list of the more expensive things I will do.

That should make for a very nice rear axle. :nabble_smiley_good:

I really like the TrueTrac in Big Blue.