Bullnose Forums

AC oil charge question

We are getting ready to start the installation of the new ac in Brutus. The last thing i have to go pick up is the pag 46 oil. My question is this. I see they have the oil charge in cans that you can pour the oil and they also have it in cans that you need a can tap. Is there any difference?

Yes, difference is the way you use it. If the system is apart, the bottle is the easy way to add the oil needed, I just did my 1994 Taurus that way. If the system is together and either uncharged or partially charged the tappable can is the way to go as it has R134 and PAG46 in it.

Yes, difference is the way you use it. If the system is apart, the bottle is the easy way to add the oil needed, I just did my 1994 Taurus that way. If the system is together and either uncharged or partially charged the tappable can is the way to go as it has R134 and PAG46 in it.

X2

Because my system had some new parts, condenser, hoses, dryer and I flushed the evap I added a little bit of oil to each new & flushed part.

I also added oil to my compressor as per the junk yard or if it went belly up they would not replace it.

I also don't think you can buy charge with out the oil in it?

Or I don't remember seeing any with out oil charge in it.

I did see some charge that had a sealer in it also, I stayed away from that.

Dave ----

X2

Because my system had some new parts, condenser, hoses, dryer and I flushed the evap I added a little bit of oil to each new & flushed part.

I also added oil to my compressor as per the junk yard or if it went belly up they would not replace it.

I also don't think you can buy charge with out the oil in it?

Or I don't remember seeing any with out oil charge in it.

I did see some charge that had a sealer in it also, I stayed away from that.

Dave ----

You can get 134a cans without oil charge. you can also get them without dye.

I use without oil and without dye as I have my own bottle of dye and oil I use. When I do my AC on my truck I will actually be pulling my York compressor to pull the plug on the bottom to drain all the old oil then I will flush the system as best as I can and add fresh oil at the proper charge. Only thing is I wont be able to get the oil out of the drier and I cant find a replacement drier for my truck so I might have to just let that ride.

But if the system is uncharged, I just remove the hose and pour the oil in that way. With a York I wouldnt do that cause the oil is supposed to be in the sump of the compressor. But other compressors the oil flows with the refrigerant.

I also strongly recommend using dye also cause it makes life easier if you ever do have a leak.

I also strongly recommend against using charges with leak stop. That stuff doesnt know what is and isnt a leak and Ive seen oriface tube screens get clogged up by leak stop. To me that stuff is what you use to unload a car on some unsuspecting schmoe and get as much money for your jalopy as you can by it having functional ac.

You can get 134a cans without oil charge. you can also get them without dye.

I use without oil and without dye as I have my own bottle of dye and oil I use. When I do my AC on my truck I will actually be pulling my York compressor to pull the plug on the bottom to drain all the old oil then I will flush the system as best as I can and add fresh oil at the proper charge. Only thing is I wont be able to get the oil out of the drier and I cant find a replacement drier for my truck so I might have to just let that ride.

But if the system is uncharged, I just remove the hose and pour the oil in that way. With a York I wouldnt do that cause the oil is supposed to be in the sump of the compressor. But other compressors the oil flows with the refrigerant.

I also strongly recommend using dye also cause it makes life easier if you ever do have a leak.

I also strongly recommend against using charges with leak stop. That stuff doesnt know what is and isnt a leak and Ive seen oriface tube screens get clogged up by leak stop. To me that stuff is what you use to unload a car on some unsuspecting schmoe and get as much money for your jalopy as you can by it having functional ac.

Where I got my "charge" (auto zone) I only saw what they had all had oil with ICE32.

I did see some with & without die and stop leak, did not use either one.

I was thinking that stop leak had to be like the cooling system stop leak - it clogs everything!

Dave ----

Where I got my "charge" (auto zone) I only saw what they had all had oil with ICE32.

I did see some with & without die and stop leak, did not use either one.

I was thinking that stop leak had to be like the cooling system stop leak - it clogs everything!

Dave ----

It is, the stop leak will clog everything up. The ICE32 ive used it before not sure how it works but it works. I usually get the little 8oz bottle on the side of Ice32, I dont get the oil with it. I know it says with ICE32 but to me how do I know there really is any in the oil and it just doesnt say so on the bottle.

I followed the instructions that came with my new 4 Seasons compressor, which were to put half of the specified oil quantitiy for the vehicle in the suction port of the compressor and the other half in the accumulator. This was the result.

I still haven't found out if an ounce of ICE 32 replaces an ounce of oil or if it's in addition. The oil charge cans at Advance come with one ounce of oil, one of ICE 32, and one of refrigerant.

Mark

I followed the instructions that came with my new 4 Seasons compressor, which were to put half of the specified oil quantitiy for the vehicle in the suction port of the compressor and the other half in the accumulator. This was the result.

I still haven't found out if an ounce of ICE 32 replaces an ounce of oil or if it's in addition. The oil charge cans at Advance come with one ounce of oil, one of ICE 32, and one of refrigerant.

Mark

the Ice34 is no different than the dye, it doesnt replace oil so you should be fine adding one 8 oz bottle to your system which is what is stated on the 8 oz bottle that its one bottle to the system with a full oil charge.

the Ice34 is no different than the dye, it doesnt replace oil so you should be fine adding one 8 oz bottle to your system which is what is stated on the 8 oz bottle that its one bottle to the system with a full oil charge.

You mean you’re supposed to read the bottle?

Mark

You mean you’re supposed to read the bottle?

Mark

lol normally your not supposed to do any reading, but I like to kill time at work some times so I read instructions and labels in full even if my eyes gloss over most of the lables/instructions.