Bullnose Forums

Water pump, need gasket goop?

I have two opposing opionons "back seat garaging" me right now. One says always use goop with gasket 'just in case' one says dont use it. There are two spots that make me feel like i should use it. This project was about at my limit of knowledge, time and space. I do not want to do the water pump again. Already i worry i did not keep track of bolt sizes and location.

I thought i would pick the brains of seasoned experts in this truck. Goop plus gasket or gasket only?

20200821_102520.jpg.46599d08e1fee0005b1990a16aeb0c72.jpg

To help the other see your pic, I'm making it full width.

And to answer your question, I'm not sure I'd use that timing cover. But if I did I certainly use some RTV on the gasket. The main concern is the area on the right of the pic where a whole bunch of the gasket surface is gone.

So what I'd do is to run a file over it, laid flat against the whole timing cover, and clean it up. Then you can tell how bad it really is. The bright areas will touch the gasket, but the dark areas won't. How deep are the dark areas?

But it looks to me like there's a spot where the gasket area is only maybe 1/8" wide - if that. I'd really be concerned about it as all of your coolant is going past there.

So, clean it up and give us another shot. Or, maybe one close-up on the right and another on the left.

20200821_102520.jpg.76d0ce31874857c744fa36b96abfd612.jpg

Right with flash and without. Left with flash and without.

(I see the debris :nabble_smiley_scared: ill get it out)

That's not nearly as bad as I thought. I think you'll be fine with that timing cover. But, I would certainly put a thin layer of RTV on it.

And by the way, stainless bolt are a good insurance policy for the water pump. Use PTE on the threads and you won't have to drill one out, like you may well have to do with a ferrous bolt.

That's not nearly as bad as I thought. I think you'll be fine with that timing cover. But, I would certainly put a thin layer of RTV on it.

And by the way, stainless bolt are a good insurance policy for the water pump. Use PTE on the threads and you won't have to drill one out, like you may well have to do with a ferrous bolt.

Just did this job myself a few weeks ago. Definitely use sealant! I used Permatex #2. I'm throwing this out there too, but I purchased a GMB water pump and was very impressed with it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3096312&cc=1121678&jsn=936&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq%2BEvUNdS3Txyey60IDtnjPWF5UU9J0BWQv7pvqZbkEUk86%2BAYIh3BPX4eQfsOiyZN4IoT4Wg1BYdkmV16UOjopWq%2Brrc87Dse0zUwsY5Ow%2F6Ysyo%2BVu9sNW97WAzA53djRjdYBfwMNBTmkBAGseUpHQn%2B2M3u1YlBWFuIvWWbcuBHxIxjxbcijYB3cJ8OUKZbeEmivomu6jI89XPsk%2FCJmtZJnURx9gxKY8gqb3pM7kJRKq%2FMVcjPTDhsAxi11Jm16QTkum9O66gazSkXjzgrq4fL4FbPjCLZQ1X6Mw%2FYYATjKWQAqrulAnho70DWz%2BDK4hN5%2B8jQH9Xn%2Fw1EY7

Right with flash and without. Left with flash and without.

(I see the debris :nabble_smiley_scared: ill get it out)

If you have pitting and corrosion, but don't want to pull the timing cover you can often fill the pitted area with paste epoxy (JB Qwik) and file it flat like Gary said above.

Is it "proper"?

No, it's shade tree git 'r done, and it's worked for me more times than I can count.

Honestly the proper way is no silicone gasket maker in conjunction with the gasket but I would put a thin layer around the water ports not to just hold the gasket in place but also to help act as a safety to ensure no leakage.

I have a new timing cover for my engine build cause mine is pitted and I dont want to reuse it from how horribly pitted it is, so I will only be applying gasket maker to the water pump side of the gasket material if I even use it as I dont want to make it harder to clean the timing cover side which can result in gouging.

Honestly the proper way is no silicone gasket maker in conjunction with the gasket but I would put a thin layer around the water ports not to just hold the gasket in place but also to help act as a safety to ensure no leakage.

I have a new timing cover for my engine build cause mine is pitted and I dont want to reuse it from how horribly pitted it is, so I will only be applying gasket maker to the water pump side of the gasket material if I even use it as I dont want to make it harder to clean the timing cover side which can result in gouging.

One thing to keep in mind is that the timing case has convolute passages machined into it.

These are to catch leaks and vent them outside before they fill the crankcase.

It's a telltale, so you fix it before it fixes you...

I've seen cases and water pumps glommed with so much RTV it is squeezing out everywhere.

You want to apply a film, with your finger, not a bead that we can see from space.