Bullnose Forums

New door weather stripping

I've been waiting for my new door seals to settle, and it's been over 2 months already. It's pretty frustrating.

My passenger door is the harder door to close and also sticks out a little and my weather seals have been installed since Nov. 2019!

Being my truck is a driver and not a show truck so what if it sticks out just a little.

Dave ----

• 2 months later...

I installed new door seals a few months ago and the doors were extremely difficult to close afterwards. I didn't adjust anything, I just slammed the doors. If you open one of the windows a little bit the doors will close easier. Now, my driver's door has gotten much better. I wouldn't say that it closes easily, but it did improve greatly since the install of the new seal. My passenger door is still really difficult to close and needs to be slammed, windows open or not. I think the new seals need to have some "miles" put on them...I dunno. Some people say that putting baby powder or something similar on the new seals helps.

I meant to follow up on this thread a few weeks ago.

I talked to a body guy that has done a lot of work on old Ford trucks, and he said what he does with frustrating door seals is take a block of wood...piece of 2x4 or whatever, and with a hammer, beats (or taps, if you prefer lol) on the steel lip on the cab to push it inwards a little bit. He said it is usually one or two stubborn spots that cause the issue, not the entire perimeter of the door.

I know in my case, with the driver's side at least, the tight area is along the cab below the A-pillar along where the door hinges are. All along the top of my door, the seal is barely touching, so that's not an issue.

I might try bending that lip inwards a bit, see if it helps.

I meant to follow up on this thread a few weeks ago.

I talked to a body guy that has done a lot of work on old Ford trucks, and he said what he does with frustrating door seals is take a block of wood...piece of 2x4 or whatever, and with a hammer, beats (or taps, if you prefer lol) on the steel lip on the cab to push it inwards a little bit. He said it is usually one or two stubborn spots that cause the issue, not the entire perimeter of the door.

I know in my case, with the driver's side at least, the tight area is along the cab below the A-pillar along where the door hinges are. All along the top of my door, the seal is barely touching, so that's not an issue.

I might try bending that lip inwards a bit, see if it helps.

I was taught to use a dollar bill to find the tight spots. It'll slide through most places but when you find "that spot" you'll know it and then you can adjust the lip.

It is tedious as the bill doesn't like to slide sideways so you are constantly opening the door to re-position it, but it does work.

I was taught to use a dollar bill to find the tight spots. It'll slide through most places but when you find "that spot" you'll know it and then you can adjust the lip.

It is tedious as the bill doesn't like to slide sideways so you are constantly opening the door to re-position it, but it does work.

On the original '84 I owned this summer it still had original seals. Along the door hinge side there were little holes molded in the seal every foot or so. I had suspected this was to "relieve" pressure as it closed to facilitate closing easily. My replacements did not have any of these holes. I've been tempted to drill some, but I don't want to destroy my new seals. I'm still working to break them in properly. Going really slow!!! It's frustrating.

On the original '84 I owned this summer it still had original seals. Along the door hinge side there were little holes molded in the seal every foot or so. I had suspected this was to "relieve" pressure as it closed to facilitate closing easily. My replacements did not have any of these holes. I've been tempted to drill some, but I don't want to destroy my new seals. I'm still working to break them in properly. Going really slow!!! It's frustrating.

When Brutus was new, the doors were hard to close, you had to put a crack in the window. with all new weatherstripping and seals that cab is pretty much air tight. I changed out the weatherstrip about a month or so ago and is just like it was when it was new, but is getting better and better. I never really did pay attention to any holes, i'm going ot have to look and see, but i dont recall seeing any on them