Bullnose Forums

Autoline carb experience - best to avoid

66gtk

On the Autoline issue, it appears that they put out some ok stuff and some that is, obviously, bad. Apparently they just rebuild whatever comes in, so if a bad core comes in they may use it. So buying one of their products is a crap shoot. But I still think they should be aware of this thread and the very negative impression that carb has left on many of us.

On the Chrysler/Holley thing, thanks for the info, Bill. I experienced all of what you outlined, and then some. As I'm sure you can imagine, that experience has warped me - pun intended.

However, at the time I didn't lean on the dealers for repair. I had no idea that there was a kit for fixing that piece of junk. As said, it was my first Holley and I assumed they were all like that. And given that, I've done my best to stay far, far away from their carbs since then.

I see a very good parallel between Troy's experience with Autoline and my experience with Holley. A customer's view of a vendor is very easily soured by selling them junk. And the vendor may never get an opportunity to correct that view as the customer may never darken their door again. In addition, the customer will tell others about that vendor's horrible products - for decades to come.

Given my experience I won't buy a Holley carb, and given Troy's experience I won't buy anything from Autoline.

I'm known to lick my wounds and walk away.

Where you point out that negative feedback could cause them to step up their game and rectify the problem.

You're absolutely right that a sour customer is far more likely to publicly scorn (a company) than someone who gets proper product that simply meets all their expectations is to praise them.

But then, you never considered doing this to Holley, all those years ago? :nabble_anim_confused:

I'm known to lick my wounds and walk away.

Where you point out that negative feedback could cause them to step up their game and rectify the problem.

You're absolutely right that a sour customer is far more likely to publicly scorn (a company) than someone who gets proper product that simply meets all their expectations is to praise them.

But then, you never considered doing this to Holley, all those years ago? :nabble_anim_confused:

There were no forums back then. Not even an internet. So the individual didn't have much of a platform from which to complain. Had we had forums like this in '69 Holley would have heard of my problems, very quickly. And they then might have said something like "If you'll take it to the dealership there's a fix for our stupidity."

Many times I heard that "Highland Park Hummingbird" and I knew my power valve was gone. Again. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Had I known then that the AVS came on the 335 HP Bees and the 330 HP Bees got the awful Holley I'd have had an AVS right then and there. Problem solved. But I didn't learn that until later - after the internet came about and I joined a Super Bee forum.

There were no forums back then. Not even an internet. So the individual didn't have much of a platform from which to complain. Had we had forums like this in '69 Holley would have heard of my problems, very quickly. And they then might have said something like "If you'll take it to the dealership there's a fix for our stupidity."

Many times I heard that "Highland Park Hummingbird" and I knew my power valve was gone. Again. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Had I known then that the AVS came on the 335 HP Bees and the 330 HP Bees got the awful Holley I'd have had an AVS right then and there. Problem solved. But I didn't learn that until later - after the internet came about and I joined a Super Bee forum.

While I have to say I've never encountered all your Holley troubles, I also am more than a decade younger.

But, having raced them, I look for things like warped bodies and flanges as a matter of course.

As my sig shows I've got an AVS on here now, and aside from a broken plastic plunger it's been pretty trouble free.

Though it probably could be bigger, and definitely should be if I were running headers like you, it meters well to its limits.

But this is quite a diversion from the thread topic of rebuilt carburetors.

And as Bill points out, they are probably all pulled haphazardly from a drum (no matter what Rick says about calibration and keeping parts together)

It's an interesting discussion and I wonder if anyone on the forum has a particular positive experience with a rebuilder?

Gary, et al, this exactly why the only rebuilt carbs Preston Carburation had were done in-house. I know what I sold to a core supplier, R. N. Grillo and company, they were junk that wasn't repairable, yet rebuilders would pay money for them.

Best story, Vince Grillo told me on one trip he would pay $10 per core for Chrysler Holleys, I went around to all the dealerships we sold to and bought up the Holley 4 barrels at $4 each ($1 per hole). He came on his next trip and I had him leave extra 55 gal barrels the previous time, 6 barrels of Chrysler Holley 4 barrels. He asked if he could just pick one at random, count them and multiply it by 6. I told him that was fine. He was peeling off $100s like they were $1s. Next trip he had some choice words, he ended up stuck with most of them. I told he asked for them, I just obliged.

Speaking of Holley`s I bought and paid the core on a reman holley 4000 for my '56. the choke cap was cracked with a weak spring that wouldnt allow for full closure when properly set at index They also chopped off the hot air choke threads and forgot to put the choke thread saver on there.

They sent me one but it took 2 weeks to get it so I robbed the whole choke assembly off my old carb I kept but I am hunting down a NOS choke housing though to put with my old carb as I am sending it out to this holley 4000 specalist that actually rebuilds the carb the right way vs just throwing in a rebuild kit like so many and shipping out.

Speaking of Holley`s I bought and paid the core on a reman holley 4000 for my '56. the choke cap was cracked with a weak spring that wouldnt allow for full closure when properly set at index They also chopped off the hot air choke threads and forgot to put the choke thread saver on there.

They sent me one but it took 2 weeks to get it so I robbed the whole choke assembly off my old carb I kept but I am hunting down a NOS choke housing though to put with my old carb as I am sending it out to this holley 4000 specalist that actually rebuilds the carb the right way vs just throwing in a rebuild kit like so many and shipping out.

Rusty, who rebuilt your 4000?

Holley themselves???

Autoline?

Why do companies expect (literal) garbage to be well received?

I rebuilt many of those, in addition to Ford IHC used them on some of their HD truck engines, the 549 in particular. The 55-56 Lincolns had a different variation on it, larger for the bigger engine. The 1957 T-Bird 312s E and F code used them also E code had 2 and F code had one with a McCullough supercharger.

Properly set up they run quite well and as some of the off-road people found, will damn near run on their sides.

Rusty, who rebuilt your 4000?

Holley themselves???

Autoline?

Why do companies expect (literal) garbage to be well received?

Champion Carburetors did the one that is on my car currently. Some times I get flooding from the top of the float bowl from the floats sticking but shut engine off restart it and no problem anymore. Its worked quite well its just been a pita with having to swap my choke housing from my original carb on the car. I kept the original one to send out to this expert I came across but I dont remember off the top of my head but I did talk with him and I dont see emails but I am sure I still have them but he told me he actually resurfaces all mating components to ensure they are true and flat. I really want to have him rebuild my old original one as I plan on a frame up restoration on this car. I just paid the core and got this carb just so I have something to be able to drive the car.

I rebuilt many of those, in addition to Ford IHC used them on some of their HD truck engines, the 549 in particular. The 55-56 Lincolns had a different variation on it, larger for the bigger engine. The 1957 T-Bird 312s E and F code used them also E code had 2 and F code had one with a McCullough supercharger.

Properly set up they run quite well and as some of the off-road people found, will damn near run on their sides.

I never rebuilt one, I been too afraid to attempt it from all the talks about how easy it is to screw them up cause they are so simple and cause a fire hazard. But this carb has worked flawlessly for me once I got everything lined out from the hot air choke. I know they arent kidding though about switching the accelerator pump between the summer and winter settings when the weather changes cause it does make a difference.

Only problem Ive had with mine is every now and then if the car sits a bit I get a flood out from the fuel bowl vents but shut the engine off and restart and the float is working normally again. I think ive had this happen 3 or 4 times since I got the carb almost two years ago. Im dreading right now cause I havent been able to run the car in some 5 or 6 weeks now but hopefully the stabil ethanol treatment is doing its job at protecting the carb from ethanol troubles.