Bullnose Forums

Help ID my carb - Feedback or Non-Feedback?

Ok, so the carb for a 1970 F-350 (or any other 1970 with the 300 L6) is this one ...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/urm-7-7330/year/1970/make/ford/model/f-350/submodel/base

The one I used came from RockAuto and was remanufactured by Autoline [Canada]. The mounting holes were original and required an easy modification using a round file.

Ok, so the carb for a 1970 F-350 (or any other 1970 with the 300 L6) is this one ...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/urm-7-7330/year/1970/make/ford/model/f-350/submodel/base

I'll defer to Bill on this as he knows more about it, but you have to be careful what carb you get. EGR started being introduced in the early 1970's, and it was done on passenger cars, then light-duty trucks, and then heavier trucks. So there were times when an F100 or F150 would have EGR and an F350 wouldn't. IOW, make sure the carb fits an early 70's F350.

I'll defer to Bill on this as he knows more about it, but you have to be careful what carb you get. EGR started being introduced in the early 1970's, and it was done on passenger cars, then light-duty trucks, and then heavier trucks. So there were times when an F100 or F150 would have EGR and an F350 wouldn't. IOW, make sure the carb fits an early 70's F350.

I should have included that, Gary. [1970 F350]

The carburetor mounting bolts on the 1986 are slightly farther apart than the 1970. All it takes to adjust this is to use a small round file and elongate the holes. I used a new carb to manifold gasket as the template and laid it against the base of the carburetor. That revealed where to remove metal... it took an easy 15 minutes.

The carburetor mounting bolts on the 1986 are slightly farther apart than the 1970. All it takes to adjust this is to use a small round file and elongate the holes. I used a new carb to manifold gasket as the template and laid it against the base of the carburetor. That revealed where to remove metal... it took an easy 15 minutes.

This is the same discussion we had with George, re: the 2-5/8" V 2-15/16" C-C YF EGR valve and carburetor spacers.

So it should be 5/32" or just over 1/8" per side.

Jim, the issue with using the remote mount TFI heat sink, it is designed for a straight module with all the connections on one end. This brings up another point, there are two different types of TFI modules that have entirely different characteristics. The gray modules (distributor or remote mount) are referred to as "push start" and have a cranking signal like the DS-II modules. These "push" the dwell duration for a hotter spark when cranking. The black TFI modules are called "CCD" for Computer Controlled Dwell and the EEC controls the dwell time to get a hotter spark when needed.

I know the difference in push start and computer controlled dwell modules.

At least the earlier PS modules will run with the spout removed, if you're REALLY stuck with a crapped out ECU.

I've seen more than a couple of HEI modules running with a couple of fins broken or cut out of the trough of a remote TFI heatsink.

These guys typically are using 90* insulated connectors.

Yes it's savage (or Redneck) but it does keep them cool enough to keep going for years.

I suppose it depends what you have in the bucket in the shed, or what's up on blocks in the sideyard...

I know the difference in push start and computer controlled dwell modules.At least the earlier PS modules will run with the spout removed, if you're REALLY stuck with a crapped out ECU.I've seen more than a couple of HEI modules running with a couple of fins broken or cut out of the trough of a remote TFI heatsink.These guys typically are using 90* insulated connectors.Yes it's savage (or Redneck) but it does keep them cool enough to keep going for years.I suppose it depends what you have in the bucket in the shed, or what's up on blocks in the sideyard...
I really appreciate all of the guidance, gentlemen.  I will be ordering the 1970 F350 carb as well as a HEI ignition system in the next couple of days.  I am tremendously excited about getting my new old truck running better and back on the road. 

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 2:04 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote: