Bullnose Forums

Help ID my carb - Feedback or Non-Feedback?

The feedback portion has been altered [removed] as is seen in the 3rd photo. It looks like JB Weld has ben used [at the top].

And that’s going to cause no end of problem if you still have the computer controlling the ignition. Can you show us a pic of the distributor?

The feedback portion has been altered [removed] as is seen in the 3rd photo. It looks like JB Weld has ben used [at the top].

And that’s going to cause no end of problem if you still have the computer controlling the ignition. Can you show us a pic of the distributor?

Here are a couple of the distributor...

57B2736C-2632-4753-9515-6F6FD0B34E07.thumb.jpeg.630e97b8a23fda28910d4fa899ab3f71.jpeg

4B279358-695E-48AD-A436-0367577F7BAB.thumb.jpeg.d84676e15143aec2b58913d18cac36f6.jpeg

Thanks Gary.

Here are a couple of the distributor...

57B2736C-2632-4753-9515-6F6FD0B34E07.jpeg

4B279358-695E-48AD-A436-0367577F7BAB.jpeg

Thanks Gary.

Your engine still has the feedback system distributor.

How is your gas mileage and performance. I will guess that you are getting low mileage in town [~9-11 mpg]?

Your engine still has the feedback system distributor.

How is your gas mileage and performance. I will guess that you are getting low mileage in town [~9-11 mpg]?

Yep, and the engine cannot be running correctly. The computer will have its knickers in a twist because it can’t control the carb, so will have the timing locked. And MPG and power will be poor.

You either need to go fully back to the complete emissions system, or change to a DS-II ignition system. Takes a different distributor, ignition module, and harness.

Yep, and the engine cannot be running correctly. The computer will have its knickers in a twist because it can’t control the carb, so will have the timing locked. And MPG and power will be poor.

You either need to go fully back to the complete emissions system, or change to a DS-II ignition system. Takes a different distributor, ignition module, and harness.

Y’all confirmed it for me. So thanks for that. Power is very limited and generally running poorly. I will be converting to a DS-II or similar.

A neighbor who is a mechanic suggested a 2 barrel carb and a points ignition with 12v key on power 3ohm coil. (His specialty is British sports car restorations not Ford trucks).

That’s all basically greek to me.

Thoughts?

Y’all confirmed it for me. So thanks for that. Power is very limited and generally running poorly. I will be converting to a DS-II or similar.

A neighbor who is a mechanic suggested a 2 barrel carb and a points ignition with 12v key on power 3ohm coil. (His specialty is British sports car restorations not Ford trucks).

Thoughts?

I had a feeling that carb was a feed back.

Some have only changed out the dist. for the DSII one and been ok on the carb but I think most swap out both.

Dave ----

Thoughts?

Tell your friend he must be related to The Prince Of Darkness. (He will understand you just took a shot at the electrical system the Brit cars were cursed with - Lucas.)

I would not go to points. No way, Jose. I'd either go DS-II or HEI. Here are thoughts on both:

• DS-II: You just need the correct distributor, coil, ignition module, and wiring harness. If you aren't going to run EGR then you should have the distributor curved to exclude it, so a stock distributor won't be quite "right", but you can get by with one. The coil is easy to find, as is the ignition module. The harder or more expensive part is the wiring harness, but they are available. Then you have a full Ford ignition system.

• HEI: That stands for High Energy Ignition, which is a GM system. It puts everything, including the coil, in the distributor with a giant cap. It still needs to be curved for either with or without EGR. And you need a relay to provide it power. But it is pretty simple. And it works.

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions. If it was me, I'd consider HEI. But I'm kinda 51/49 on that.

Tell your friend he must be related to The Prince Of Darkness. (He will understand you just took a shot at the electrical system the Brit cars were cursed with - Lucas.)

I would not go to points. No way, Jose. I'd either go DS-II or HEI. Here are thoughts on both:

• DS-II: You just need the correct distributor, coil, ignition module, and wiring harness. If you aren't going to run EGR then you should have the distributor curved to exclude it, so a stock distributor won't be quite "right", but you can get by with one. The coil is easy to find, as is the ignition module. The harder or more expensive part is the wiring harness, but they are available. Then you have a full Ford ignition system.

• HEI: That stands for High Energy Ignition, which is a GM system. It puts everything, including the coil, in the distributor with a giant cap. It still needs to be curved for either with or without EGR. And you need a relay to provide it power. But it is pretty simple. And it works.

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions. If it was me, I'd consider HEI. But I'm kinda 51/49 on that.

On the six that big old cap is kind of down low in the hole so you don't really see it so I don't mine them on the six.

Heck I had one on my Toyota L/C straight six. Came out of the Chevy 250 and dropped right in.

There is also nothing for the vacuum advance can to hit when you go to adjust timing when in the six.

But on the Ford v8's where it is up front just looks all kinds of wrong and the vacuum hits everything and can only get like 5* timing change.

Yep not a fan of the HEI in a Ford v8.

Dave ----