Bullnose Forums

New/Repro YF carburetor for the 300 six

Today I got squared up with the seller regarding the inappropriate refund... and the carburetor continues to run very well. Actually better than it did at first.

I am guessing that months of driving around with a failing carb may have carboned things up, which is getting cleared out, or the carb itself is smoothing after some use. The high rpm range seems like it might be slightly weak, but overall I’ve never had this truck run this smooth. It’s great. I might bump the timing back up just a bit, as it’s not kicking back or pinging in the slightest. I might get away with a bit more advance. I am very happy with it, though, and so glad I didn’t just return it and write it off as junk! It’s not... my straight six has never sounded so good. 🙂

Excellent! Glad it is working out, all the way around. 👍

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am guessing that months of driving around with a failing carb may have carboned things up, which is getting cleared out, or the carb itself is smoothing after some use. The high rpm range seems like it might be slightly weak, but overall I’ve never had this truck run this smooth. It’s great. I might bump the timing back up just a bit, as it’s not kicking back or pinging in the slightest. I might get away with a bit more advance. I am very happy with it, though, and so glad I didn’t just return it and write it off as junk! It’s not... my straight six has never sounded so good. 🙂

Maybe the higher RPM "weakness" is indicating a less than optimum timing situation at that speed?

Maybe the higher RPM "weakness" is indicating a less than optimum timing situation at that speed?

It might also be a bit lean.

I only have a few miles on the new carburetor, but my preliminary verdict is a solid thumbs up and three Andrew Jackson’s well spent...

I went ahead and shot a bit of carb cleaner in the ports, figuring it would be flushed with gasoline soon enough. I hooked it up and it ran after a few seconds of cranking, just like my old one did if it sat a day without being started.

The carb has a few minor differences. The low idle screw is on the passenger side, and the mixture screw is in a slightly different spot on the base plate. Access is worse, but you already have no grounds to complain about working room when you are wrenching on a 300. The choke lever is moved slightly and required a cable adjustment for my manual set up which I usually don’t have to do when switching carbs. Not a problem, just a minor difference from stock. The supplied choke mechanism is bi metal heat only. Not electric.

Idle and mixture screws came pre set a bit lean and a bit low idle. Overall driving performance feels good. It still has the slight carbureted stumble and stutter at idle, which might smooth out if I retard the timing some. I have it a bit much advanced as it has some kickback problems when starting. I will break out my light and dial it back a couple degrees tomorrow. It pulls strong under load and seems responsive through all rpm ranges. It is working as it should.

It is also worthy to note that the base plate holes are slotted, and this carb should fit either of the straight six intake stud spacing dimensions. Two of the three supplied gaskets were of the closer (old style) stud spacing. If you want a grommeted gasket for the wider studs, you will need to source it as the supplied one is paper only:

FYI:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201907292294

Two of the three supplied gaskets were of the closer (old style) stud spacing. If you want a grommeted gasket for the wider studs, you will need to source it as the supplied one is paper only:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n72188/A3DD3EC4-3A19-4482-83FD-A4E547CF2BCB.jpeg

FYI:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201907292294

Two of the three supplied gaskets were of the closer (old style) stud spacing. If you want a grommeted gasket for the wider studs, you will need to source it as the supplied one is paper only:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n72188/A3DD3EC4-3A19-4482-83FD-A4E547CF2BCB.jpeg

Two gaskets for $4.90 delivered? Wow!

Great find, Jim!

David, you are the master of this game! 👑

But while I am wasting time skimming through thousands of listings I try to remain conscious of others.

I recall Jonathan posting that his carb didn't come with the anti-crush gasket in the wider spacing.

And I noted that an '84 part number was almost definitely for his application

There are some crazy deals at U-techcenter this week!

David, you are the master of this game! 👑

But while I am wasting time skimming through thousands of listings I try to remain conscious of others.

I recall Jonathan posting that his carb didn't come with the anti-crush gasket in the wider spacing.

And I noted that an '84 part number was almost definitely for his application

There are some crazy deals at U-techcenter this week!

Thank you very much Jim! The pair of gaskets are on their way 🙂. I re-used the old one, and it’s running fine, but I’m not going to pass up a deal like this. I will use a new one when I change to the non-EGR spacer. I would have put the spacer on with this last carb change, but it is thinner and requires shorter studs. I have them, but was more interested in getting it running than making all of the adjustments for the choke cable brackets etc., so I let it go for another time.

Thank you very much Jim! The pair of gaskets are on their way 🙂. I re-used the old one, and it’s running fine, but I’m not going to pass up a deal like this. I will use a new one when I change to the non-EGR spacer. I would have put the spacer on with this last carb change, but it is thinner and requires shorter studs. I have them, but was more interested in getting it running than making all of the adjustments for the choke cable brackets etc., so I let it go for another time.

So happy that your truck is running well, Jonathan!

• 1 month later...

Jonathan,

What's the news 2 months later??...all systems still check OK?

I need to order a 300 carb soon, and I've been saving yours in My Ebay for just that day, but I recently noticed that it says "Does Not Ship to Canada". Bugger.

Anyway...

A guy on FB linked to a carb he bought on Amazon (see below) and he said it works great. He said he bolts it on and the engine started right up and only needed a couple light adjustments.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B084YWG1K2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share&fbclid=IwAR3PVQfAp5UkMnpTQtSPyxSa7DtnN3nNXl-eSQ6wwGObF743MneRwj0c9M8

I wonder if the Amazon one is the same or similar? Any comments good or bad from the 300i6 crowd?

Do you have a recommendation for carb gaskets/kits?