Bullnose Forums

New/Repro YF carburetor for the 300 six

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments and advice. What you all are saying matches the other comments I have read on the net. I will report back when I receive and install it.

it's the 3.14 one. I looked around for a 1.21 but found one on ebay and rebuilt it. The 1.14 is on a friends mustang now and still going strong, it replaced a chinese 2150 that he bought with 1.08 which was to small. I'm not really sure if you can get the 21's or not, i havent seen them

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments and advice. What you all are saying matches the other comments I have read on the net. I will report back when I receive and install it.

My carburetor arrived yesterday in the mail, and so far I’m impressed. It had shape-specific packaging foam so it wouldn’t knock about in the shipping box. The finish and workmanship seem excellent and everything seems to have tight smooth movement. Hopefully it will run in addition to looking nice... I am still completely baffled as to how anyone could manufacture this and deliver it to me for $63.35 after tax. Wow.

AC012018-E252-4AAD-B7C2-492529664664.jpeg.f9b8e3d3692ac95c28a00b8c7a79a44e.jpeg

Mine did not come with any instructions to flush out packing oil, and it seems completely dry. I suppose I will shoot some carb cleaner through the jets and ports just in case. It’s a bit too late to swap it and run it for today’s water haul, but I will probably get it put on tomorrow morning.

My carburetor arrived yesterday in the mail, and so far I’m impressed. It had shape-specific packaging foam so it wouldn’t knock about in the shipping box. The finish and workmanship seem excellent and everything seems to have tight smooth movement. Hopefully it will run in addition to looking nice... I am still completely baffled as to how anyone could manufacture this and deliver it to me for $63.35 after tax. Wow.

Mine did not come with any instructions to flush out packing oil, and it seems completely dry. I suppose I will shoot some carb cleaner through the jets and ports just in case. It’s a bit too late to swap it and run it for today’s water haul, but I will probably get it put on tomorrow morning.

Can't wait to hear more about in Jonathan. I'll be ordering one myself if you give it the thumbs up.

Yep, I'm anxious to see the results. But I'm not sure I'd put carb cleaner in it. Not 100% sure what that would do to a plastic float. I think I'd put gas in.

Thanks for the warning Gary. I was waiting to see what the manufacturers instructions were, but there were none in the box. Perhaps mine did not receive packing oil. I don’t see anything like that in any of the orifices. Maybe I should just run it? I don’t think I have any small tip squeeze bottles to force gasoline through the passages. I’m tempted to just toss it on and see what it does.

Thanks for the warning Gary. I was waiting to see what the manufacturers instructions were, but there were none in the box. Perhaps mine did not receive packing oil. I don’t see anything like that in any of the orifices. Maybe I should just run it? I don’t think I have any small tip squeeze bottles to force gasoline through the passages. I’m tempted to just toss it on and see what it does.

I don't think it will hurt anything to just try it. If there's oil in there the gas will clean it out.

A quick shot of carb or brake cleaner through the jets and acc pump can't hurt or take time.

While I trust you don't see anything, I've seen enough and heard too many reports that 'they won't run'

I flush it out, and don't even have to set it and the engines me goes right off.

Suck it and see...

But if there's no joy, pull it back off and purge it.

A quick shot of carb or brake cleaner through the jets and acc pump can't hurt or take time.

While I trust you don't see anything, I've seen enough and heard too many reports that 'they won't run'

I flush it out, and don't even have to set it and the engines me goes right off.

Suck it and see...

But if there's no joy, pull it back off and purge it.

I only have a few miles on the new carburetor, but my preliminary verdict is a solid thumbs up and three Andrew Jackson’s well spent...

I went ahead and shot a bit of carb cleaner in the ports, figuring it would be flushed with gasoline soon enough. I hooked it up and it ran after a few seconds of cranking, just like my old one did if it sat a day without being started.

The carb has a few minor differences. The low idle screw is on the passenger side, and the mixture screw is in a slightly different spot on the base plate. Access is worse, but you already have no grounds to complain about working room when you are wrenching on a 300. The choke lever is moved slightly and required a cable adjustment for my manual set up which I usually don’t have to do when switching carbs. Not a problem, just a minor difference from stock. The supplied choke mechanism is bi metal heat only. Not electric.

Idle and mixture screws came pre set a bit lean and a bit low idle. Overall driving performance feels good. It still has the slight carbureted stumble and stutter at idle, which might smooth out if I retard the timing some. I have it a bit much advanced as it has some kickback problems when starting. I will break out my light and dial it back a couple degrees tomorrow. It pulls strong under load and seems responsive through all rpm ranges. It is working as it should.

It is also worthy to note that the base plate holes are slotted, and this carb should fit either of the straight six intake stud spacing dimensions. Two of the three supplied gaskets were of the closer (old style) stud spacing. If you want a grommeted gasket for the wider studs, you will need to source it as the supplied one is paper only:

5ABB8DAB-0694-480C-B8A2-42AEEA8A4D7C.jpeg.46690affed732264addc927e6230bc3d.jpeg

A3DD3EC4-3A19-4482-83FD-A4E547CF2BCB.jpeg.2572981666bde177644411ffdc1f9c67.jpeg

I only have a few miles on the new carburetor, but my preliminary verdict is a solid thumbs up and three Andrew Jackson’s well spent...

I went ahead and shot a bit of carb cleaner in the ports, figuring it would be flushed with gasoline soon enough. I hooked it up and it ran after a few seconds of cranking, just like my old one did if it sat a day without being started.

The carb has a few minor differences. The low idle screw is on the passenger side, and the mixture screw is in a slightly different spot on the base plate. Access is worse, but you already have no grounds to complain about working room when you are wrenching on a 300. The choke lever is moved slightly and required a cable adjustment for my manual set up which I usually don’t have to do when switching carbs. Not a problem, just a minor difference from stock. The supplied choke mechanism is bi metal heat only. Not electric.

Idle and mixture screws came pre set a bit lean and a bit low idle. Overall driving performance feels good. It still has the slight carbureted stumble and stutter at idle, which might smooth out if I retard the timing some. I have it a bit much advanced as it has some kickback problems when starting. I will break out my light and dial it back a couple degrees tomorrow. It pulls strong under load and seems responsive through all rpm ranges. It is working as it should.

It is also worthy to note that the base plate holes are slotted, and this carb should fit either of the straight six intake stud spacing dimensions. Two of the three supplied gaskets were of the closer (old style) stud spacing. If you want a grommeted gasket for the wider studs, you will need to source it as the supplied one is paper only:

That's great news!

Did you ever solve the problem that came up every once in a while? Seems like the engine would die and yet restart? Might this carb solve it?