Bullnose Forums

300 I6 Intake and Exhaust

Well, i have everything in to change the intake and exhaust manifold on Brutus. I have a couple of questions. first off, the manifolds came in with this funky coating on them that you have to use glooves to handle. I'm assumeing it will burn off , or do i need to attempt to clean them off first?

I plan to use never seize on the bolts to the engine block.

The bolts that join the intake to the exhaust, should i put it on those as well or thread locker?

That coating is just to keep the manifolds from rusting.

If I was going to remove it I would only do where the gasket is other wise it will burn off.

No thread locker, I use anti-seize on all the bolts for the exh.

I have EFI but if I was doing the factory setup anti-seize.

Dave ----

That coating is just to keep the manifolds from rusting.

If I was going to remove it I would only do where the gasket is other wise it will burn off.

No thread locker, I use anti-seize on all the bolts for the exh.

I have EFI but if I was doing the factory setup anti-seize.

Dave ----

Ok, got it. The only reason i ask about thread locker on the 3 bolts that join the intake to the exhaust is because of the continued hastle of the yfa carb working its way loose. If you aren't familiar with the 300, when you start it and turn it off, it shakes rather violently, of course it does, its an inline engine. Because of this, the mounting bolts for the carb work there way loose and have to be checked from time to time.. Also i need to mention, the reason i had to take them off and change them is because the exhaust and intake gaskets were blown. When i removed the bolts from the engine, they were all very very easy to get out if this means anything at all

Ok, got it. The only reason i ask about thread locker on the 3 bolts that join the intake to the exhaust is because of the continued hastle of the yfa carb working its way loose. If you aren't familiar with the 300, when you start it and turn it off, it shakes rather violently, of course it does, its an inline engine. Because of this, the mounting bolts for the carb work there way loose and have to be checked from time to time.. Also i need to mention, the reason i had to take them off and change them is because the exhaust and intake gaskets were blown. When i removed the bolts from the engine, they were all very very easy to get out if this means anything at all

George, it is not only the rather violent shaking when starting and shutting the engine off, it is the harmonic vibration that gives the carburetor fits. I use Red Loctite on those and the Holley Webers on Pintos, Vegas and Chrysler 2.2s due to the 4 cyl harmonics.

George, it is not only the rather violent shaking when starting and shutting the engine off, it is the harmonic vibration that gives the carburetor fits. I use Red Loctite on those and the Holley Webers on Pintos, Vegas and Chrysler 2.2s due to the 4 cyl harmonics.

Only the Ford six, 240 & 300, have I have the carb come loose on and I have had a Toyota F motor, Dodge 225 slant six and the old Chevy 250 six.

Oh almost forgot the AMC 258 six. That one I had the exh. manifold burn a hole thru and cause a vacuum leak.

On all of them not one did I ever have the intake / exh. come loose on them either at the head or the intake / exh. manifolds.

Dave ----

Only the Ford six, 240 & 300, have I have the carb come loose on and I have had a Toyota F motor, Dodge 225 slant six and the old Chevy 250 six.

Oh almost forgot the AMC 258 six. That one I had the exh. manifold burn a hole thru and cause a vacuum leak.

On all of them not one did I ever have the intake / exh. come loose on them either at the head or the intake / exh. manifolds.

Dave ----

Thanks guys. Off to autozone to pick up my gaskets and never seize and red loctite.

Again i will ask. the 3 bolts that join the intake to the exhaust manifold, should i put never seize, or the red loctite?

Thanks guys. Off to autozone to pick up my gaskets and never seize and red loctite.

Again i will ask. the 3 bolts that join the intake to the exhaust manifold, should i put never seize, or the red loctite?

Dave. is that tool box on your parts truck for sale by chance?

Never Seize on the bolts exh. manifold to intake manifold and manifolds to head.

On the red lock tight you know to undo it you have to heat it up right?

I might use blue lock tight on the carb to intake nuts but not red. I did not use anything, nuts went on dry.

First know it got bent up in the roll over.

I started to "un-bend" it and in doing so the hinge welds were cut so I could fix the box side first then the lid and then put the 2 together using screws & lock nuts on the inside but being I did not need it I stopped working on it.

I guess its for sale but would like you to look it over first then make an offer.

If you are close to come check it out you are welcome to do so weekends are the best as I don't know what my work load is like during the week.

Dave ----

Never Seize on the bolts exh. manifold to intake manifold and manifolds to head.

On the red lock tight you know to undo it you have to heat it up right?

I might use blue lock tight on the carb to intake nuts but not red. I did not use anything, nuts went on dry.

First know it got bent up in the roll over.

I started to "un-bend" it and in doing so the hinge welds were cut so I could fix the box side first then the lid and then put the 2 together using screws & lock nuts on the inside but being I did not need it I stopped working on it.

I guess its for sale but would like you to look it over first then make an offer.

If you are close to come check it out you are welcome to do so weekends are the best as I don't know what my work load is like during the week.

Dave ----

Yea Dave, i thought of the same thing right after i bought it. i'm going to take it back and probably do what i've always done. make sure i have a wrench and check them when i check the oil.