Bullnose Forums

Flywheel Bolts

I had an emailed question from a gentleman w/a SEFI 460/E4OD combo asking about what bolts are spec'd for holding the flex plate or flywheel to the engine. As it turns out, that bit of info was missing from the garagemahal's page on Flywheels. However, it has now been added, and the answer is the manual transmissions take D2AZ 6379-A 7/16*—20 x 1" r/b F1ZZ-A, and the autos take D2AZ 6379-B BOLT (FLYWHEEL TO CRANKSHAFT)- 7/l6"-20 x 3/4. However, other places in the catalog show the bolt as being 23/32" long.

:nabble_smiley_super:

Jim is the expert here, but I think they are probably "place bolts". How Place Bolts Work

ARP makes the 3/4" long ones. http://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-detail.php?RecordID=767

$23 for six. Not sure if that is cheaper than Ford's price.

I never heard of Place bolts before. Amazing what you can learn around here.

https://wilsongarner.com/how-place-bolts-work/

I've handled my share of flywheel and flexplate bolts and don't recall ever seeing those. Maybe I didn't notice. I always put Loctite on the threads.

Referring to the info on the bolts...

However, it has now been added,

Maybe you should put this info under the title/section "Fasteners" too. These are important bolts, and Fasteners would be a place many newcomers to this site would probably look first.

Good idea. Let me see what I can do.

Arrrgh

I just spent 5 minutes making a post and lost it...

Stock Ford bolts are the best.

Jim, they may have been, but according to Ben Cavileer at Kool Ford, they are NLA from Ford. I ended up ordering some from Summit, CSR Performance as ARP only has the M/T 1" ones. That is what the engine builder provided with the engine, he didn't realize the A/T takes shorter bolts.

Just for the record, a guy on the IDI Facebook group needed flywheel bolts for his turbo'd 6.9L. He was on a time limit to put the thing together and used grade 8 hardware store bolts. Within a few weeks he sheared them all off starting out from a stop light. Just sayin'.... he replaced them with ARP 8740 chromoloy fasteners and so far no more problems. Needless to say I'd be very interested to know if the stock fasteners are "place bolts" or not. It sure isn't a place to cut corners...