Bullnose Forums

R134a adapter part numbers and modifications

I finally found the R124a adapters with valves, thread here, and modified them so I didn't have to discharge my system to install them. They're from Factory Air and I got them at Advance, who lists them under the Factory Air part numbers.

• Low 1/4" Factory Air #59976

• High 3/16" Factory Air #59978

The normal way to install the proper adapters with schrader valves is to remove the valves from the ports on the vehicle first. I couldn't do that because I charged the system with the low-side adapter (which actually does work) from the cheesy universal kit before I realized the high-side adapter wasn't working, so I pulled the valves from the new adapters and shortened them by clipping the inside ends and washers off and dremeling down the sleeve. Now I have adapters with pushrods that open the valves in the original ports. Therefore for my next concours show all I have to do is remove the adapters and screw on the original caps! The judges'll never know. Pics below.

Regular Schrader:

IMG_4071.jpg.4eb6ff44f7136d6c50dfaf3f228b8ed3.jpg

Trimmed Schrader:

IMG_4074.jpg.9c7cff9eaf8d15cf418c590c44cc6e94.jpg

Trimmed Schrader Installed

IMG_4075.jpg.3f0ef5fab6556cb788429ce2c888ba58.jpg:

If you charged the system, it is working and holding PSI then why the need for the adaptors?

I run into the same problem, no high side gauge, when I charged my system a few weeks back.

My system is working so I am going to leave it as is and looks factory R12.

Dave ----

If you charged the system, it is working and holding PSI then why the need for the adaptors?

I run into the same problem, no high side gauge, when I charged my system a few weeks back.

Dave ----

High side is needed to see what the high side pressures are doing. Plus if you have a newer recovery machine, they wont work without the highside as they alternate high side to low side for recovery.

Dave ----

Clearly you're not OCD enough. By god I want to connect my gauges and make sure my system is tip-top! Even if it behaves that way! Anyway, I got my gauges hooked up and I'm running 26-220 at 80F. The register is showing 36F. So I think I'm good.

Mark