Bullnose Forums

460 requires cranking after sitting

Bill - If the problem is that the air in the air cleaner is loaded with gas, how about testing with the air cleaner off? Or, pull the lid and let it clear out and put the lid back on to start?

Read what he said, that is why I mentioned the gas fumes in the air cleaner. He pulled the air cleaner and checked the fuel levels on the sight glasses and when he tried a hot start it fired right up.

Bill - If the problem is that the air in the air cleaner is loaded with gas, how about testing with the air cleaner off? Or, pull the lid and let it clear out and put the lid back on to start?

You guys are great.

The quickfuel has the angled top vents that go into the air cleaner.

I'll add that to my test list - after sitting hot, pop the hood, remove the air cleaner lid and try.

This evening I'll remove the separator. I've never taken one apart to know how they work but you're saying I should be able to blow in the top port (the one on the side of it) and air should come out the two ends?

Should I be able to blow in any port and air come out the others or is there some baffle/restriction that would be expected?

Read what he said, that is why I mentioned the gas fumes in the air cleaner. He pulled the air cleaner and checked the fuel levels on the sight glasses and when he tried a hot start it fired right up.

Also, I didn't think of this before and don't suspect this matters but the truck came with a K&N air cleaner filter and that is what is still in there. Only mentioning it in case it might hold the fumes in more than a typical one.

You guys are great.

The quickfuel has the angled top vents that go into the air cleaner.

I'll add that to my test list - after sitting hot, pop the hood, remove the air cleaner lid and try.

This evening I'll remove the separator. I've never taken one apart to know how they work but you're saying I should be able to blow in the top port (the one on the side of it) and air should come out the two ends?

Should I be able to blow in any port and air come out the others or is there some baffle/restriction that would be expected?

Bill - You are right, he's sorta done that test. But, maybe not on purpose?

Scott - I have an extra one of those separators if you need it, no cost. But, in reality I'd put a return-style pressure regulator on in its place. And I have one of those, NIB. Yours for half of new price if you want it.

Also, I didn't think of this before and don't suspect this matters but the truck came with a K&N air cleaner filter and that is what is still in there. Only mentioning it in case it might hold the fumes in more than a typical one.

The K&N might hold fumes better than a paper filter.

As for blowing into the separator, the outlet to the return is just an orifice. So you should be able to blow through easily inlet to outlet or reverse, but inlet or outlet to return should be restricted.

The K&N might hold fumes better than a paper filter.

As for blowing into the separator, the outlet to the return is just an orifice. So you should be able to blow through easily inlet to outlet or reverse, but inlet or outlet to return should be restricted.

There's a screen in there that can get sludged up.

And there is a defined orifice in the return end.

.045, .065, or .090 for trucks having vapor lock that need more fuel circulating from the cool reserve in the tank.

These are colour coded with a red, blue or white dot on the canister.

.045, .065, or .090 for trucks having vapor lock that need more fuel circulating from the cool reserve in the tank.

That's what I'm thinking has happened - the screen is plugged.

I'll look to see what size mine is.

Well, the screen plugged would effect the carb filling too.

But the orifice could be.

Or the return line...

It couldn't hurt to blow them all out.

I don't see any dots or #'s on mine. But I can blow through it all three ways, so it isn't clogged. And I'm not going to use it so it is free to a good home. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Mine didn't have a screen in the separator, it had a "filter" screen in the bowl inlet (try to find one, it took me about 2 weeks to track down a replacement). I never looked for a color dot and have no idea what size orifice it had.

Here is a pretty good shot of the bowl vents on Darth, notice the size and the vacuum operated valves in the lines. They are closed with the engine running and open with it off.

IMGP0764_copy.thumb.jpg.889d2c995d21b13f6ee00f7741fd7004.jpg