Bullnose Forums

Cab upgrades

Ooof, that's embarrassing. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Don't sweat it - I get called the wrong name on a daily basis. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I didn't even think about buying new ones but good call.

Here in the salty northeast pretty much anything undercarriage that can trap water is bound to rust out.

Hard to believe that all these started out as blue Moog bushings.

I'll have to cut one in half tomorrow.

Here in the salty northeast pretty much anything undercarriage that can trap water is bound to rust out.

Hard to believe that all these started out as blue Moog bushings.

I'll have to cut one in half tomorrow.

One step forward, two steps back?

Today I got the SAE plugs to tie in the rear channel to my behind the seat box.

It's raining again, so I took the opportunity to work under cover (barn) and check for corrosion at the speakers themselves.

Only to find that the cones in those Polk Mobile Monitors from the '90's were completely tattered.

No wonder I wasn't getting clear sound from behind the seat! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Recone, or buy new?

I've only ever put new -better- cones in big speakers from PA systems, but I assume it's the same, just more fiddly.

I definitely don't have $3-400 burning a hole in my pocket

One step forward, two steps back?

Today I got the SAE plugs to tie in the rear channel to my behind the seat box.

It's raining again, so I took the opportunity to work under cover (barn) and check for corrosion at the speakers themselves.

Only to find that the cones in those Polk Mobile Monitors from the '90's were completely tattered.

No wonder I wasn't getting clear sound from behind the seat! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Recone, or buy new?

I've only ever put new -better- cones in big speakers from PA systems, but I assume it's the same, just more fiddly.

I definitely don't have $3-400 burning a hole in my pocket

I kept a pair for years I planned to re-cone, and just never got it done. Initially it was because I couldn't decide what material to use as it needs to be both light and stiff. Also the surrounds play a big part and they kept coming out with better and better materials. In the end I bought new.

But I didn't spend $300, much less $400. There are some decent-sounding speaker for less. What size are you looking for? What frequency range?

I kept a pair for years I planned to re-cone, and just never got it done. Initially it was because I couldn't decide what material to use as it needs to be both light and stiff. Also the surrounds play a big part and they kept coming out with better and better materials. In the end I bought new.

But I didn't spend $300, much less $400. There are some decent-sounding speaker for less. What size are you looking for? What frequency range?

The ones I pictured in the box are Polk 8" Mobile Monitors with dual voice coils from the '90's.

I just checked and the newer version are only about $130 a piece.

But with the Sub sub-woofer (not any real woofer with an 8" diameter) I will probably make a new front for that speaker box and go with a pair of their 6 1/2" mid's, since I shouldn't need as much bass.

They're not too expensive.

Or, I'm perfectly willing to try something else to use as rear channel fill.

Recommendations, that won't break the bank?

The ones I pictured in the box are Polk 8" Mobile Monitors with dual voice coils from the '90's.

I just checked and the newer version are only about $130 a piece.

But with the Sub sub-woofer (not any real woofer with an 8" diameter) I will probably make a new front for that speaker box and go with a pair of their 6 1/2" mid's, since I shouldn't need as much bass.

They're not too expensive.

Or, I'm perfectly willing to try something else to use as rear channel fill.

Recommendations, that won't break the bank?

I think going with 6 1/2" speakers is a good idea. Will they be 2-way or 3-ways? I'd think 2-ways for the rear would be good. But while I used to pride myself as being an audiophile, I've been out of things for years.

Having said that, my go-to place has always been Crutchfield, and a search of their site for 6 1/2" speakers with at least 4 stars finds several with excellent reviews in the $60 - $70 range. I like the Kickers, which have what looks like a 4.3 star rating out of 515 reviews.

I think going with 6 1/2" speakers is a good idea. Will they be 2-way or 3-ways? I'd think 2-ways for the rear would be good. But while I used to pride myself as being an audiophile, I've been out of things for years.

Having said that, my go-to place has always been Crutchfield, and a search of their site for 6 1/2" speakers with at least 4 stars finds several with excellent reviews in the $60 - $70 range. I like the Kickers, which have what looks like a 4.3 star rating out of 515 reviews.

Well, that link sure didn't work. Try this one and then apply the filters you want: https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/6_1%2F2_car_speakers.html#&nvpair=FFCategory|[rank399]Car%20Speakers&nvpair=FFSubcategory|[rank473750]6%22,%206-1/2%22%20%26%206-3/4%22%20Speakers

Crutchfield fan from way back.

Yes, I see quite a few choices well under $100, if I'm willing to remake the front panel, which is not an issue.

I don't think having a sub and two more 8" speakers behind me is great from your audiophile perspective.

Though I was looking at mid-range speakers in-part because of what your comment about all the hard glass surface being so bright.

Polk has at least 3 levels of 6.5's available now. Their Mobile Monitor line in 6.5" has an integrated speaker, and component systems, but they seem to be ranging from $129 to $479

Also their Dynamic Balance 652's which come in under $90 on Amazon.

The DSC650 DS Kicker, Rockford, Memphis, Kenwood, JBL, Pioneer, Alpine and Sony more were all on my list.

Pushing the $100 limit are Infinity's Reference series 6532's @ $99.95 a pair.

I think I'll get better frequency response and drive from 6.5 vs 8 without having to push my head unit if I decide to forgo a separate amp.

It certainly leaves me with plenty of possibilities.

Crutchfield fan from way back.

Yes, I see quite a few choices well under $100, if I'm willing to remake the front panel, which is not an issue.

I don't think having a sub and two more 8" speakers behind me is great from your audiophile perspective.

Though I was looking at mid-range speakers in-part because of what your comment about all the hard glass surface being so bright.

Polk has at least 3 levels of 6.5's available now. Their Mobile Monitor line in 6.5" has an integrated speaker, and component systems, but they seem to be ranging from $129 to $479

Also their Dynamic Balance 652's which come in under $90 on Amazon.

The DSC650 DS Kicker, Rockford, Memphis, Kenwood, JBL, Pioneer, Alpine and Sony more were all on my list.

Pushing the $100 limit are Infinity's Reference series 6532's @ $99.95 a pair.

I think I'll get better frequency response and drive from 6.5 vs 8 without having to push my head unit if I decide to forgo a separate amp.

It certainly leaves me with plenty of possibilities.

I'm a Kicker fan 'cause their home is in Stillwater. (I'll be in Stillwater on Saturday for a funeral - it is that close.) And I've been in their plant.

I'm not saying theirs is the best, but given it is local to me I tend to buy their stuff. However, there are lots of choices in that range of size and price, and you'd be hard pressed to go wrong.

I'd suggest you look at the cone structure. I wouldn't go with paper or wood products. Instead, some form of plastic.

I'm a Kicker fan 'cause their home is in Stillwater. (I'll be in Stillwater on Saturday for a funeral - it is that close.) And I've been in their plant.

I'm not saying theirs is the best, but given it is local to me I tend to buy their stuff. However, there are lots of choices in that range of size and price, and you'd be hard pressed to go wrong.

I'd suggest you look at the cone structure. I wouldn't go with paper or wood products. Instead, some form of plastic.

Oh yes, I bought the Polk's George commented he likes so much in his Ranchero, in part because they're also sold as marine speakers, and we all know how much water gets into doors (even if they're not open bottom like my passenger side)

Kicker has quite a few smaller speakers under $100 a pair, and Crutchfield is great for comparison shopping.

I'm still stuck in the '80's and early '90's when Kicker and Rockford were synonymous with 15"+ subs and a cap that would literally blow the flesh off your fingers it you touched it charged.

Like I said to George 'talk to me like I'm five', but I'm growing up and have appreciation for more than stadium systems in a van these days.

Oh yes, I bought the Polk's George commented he likes so much in his Ranchero, in part because they're also sold as marine speakers, and we all know how much water gets into doors (even if they're not open bottom like my passenger side)

Kicker has quite a few smaller speakers under $100 a pair, and Crutchfield is great for comparison shopping.

I'm still stuck in the '80's and early '90's when Kicker and Rockford were synonymous with 15"+ subs and a cap that would literally blow the flesh off your fingers it you touched it charged.

Like I said to George 'talk to me like I'm five', but I'm growing up and have appreciation for more than stadium systems in a van these days.

One of the reasons I have been a fan of Crutchfield for years, I have actually been in their main location on the North side of Charlottesville VA. I bought a very nice tuner and CD changer combination from their clearance section that I had a pair of mounts for, one set was in the truck the other in the Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Diesel. If we were taking the 5th wheel it went in Darth, if not it went in the Olds.