Bullnose Forums

Cab upgrades

I'm starting a thread because I have my cab opened up to install some new sounds, replace the tattered cab mounts and do some insulation.

Hopefully this will result in less squeaks, rattles and leave me with the option to just turn the radio up so I don't have to hear them.

Also, I don't want to hijack Nick's thread.

Although his advice is very welcome.

Last evening I pulled my seat and old vinyl mat, then scrubbed the floor and rattlebombed with some cheap closeout rustoleum paint from Wal-Mart.

Today I need to change the cab mounts, run power and ground from the engine bay, roll down the insulation I have and install the new mat before I mount the Retro sub beneath the seat.

I'll be out in the paddock, but hope to get pictures of the process.

Thanks for following along.

I also ordered a new style steering shaft.

I need to figure this out...

Ha! I was just going to say that in 2020 New England, cab "upgrades" to a 1987 are often to install a new floor!!

Lookin' good Jim!

So, what steering shaft is this? And from where?...

I also ordered a new style steering shaft.

I need to figure this out...

Jim, if "new style" means 1992-97, it actually has one u-joint inside the cab and one at the box. If it is a replacement for the rag joint and can joint, you may have to cut the can off the base of the column shaft.

Jim, if "new style" means 1992-97, it actually has one u-joint inside the cab and one at the box. If it is a replacement for the rag joint and can joint, you may have to cut the can off the base of the column shaft.

I think it's a '14 style shaft.

Have to see if the end can be made to fit the steering box.

Length seems right

That steering shaft is very similar to the Borgeson that Vernon had put on Big Blue. No rag joints, just u-joints. It has worked very well.

Well hopefully my welds and process are a little better than :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

Amazingly I got all the cab mount bolts out in one piece.

Really grateful for that battery impact. :nabble_smiley_good:

Heat index over 100 this week, so I'm taking it easy.

With so many people being without power (a few still) ice has become the new toilet paper.

And I need to bolt the cab back down before I can even go get some.

Back out into the sun to fight my floor jack on soft ground.