Bullnose Forums

Question for those who have an Effy C intake manifold

Ok, then I’ll grab one of those gaskets. Thanks for walking me through that.

Performance isn’t much of a priority for me as I’m the daily driver type for sure. I’d like the ride to be smooth, quiet and reliable. I’ve been driving that Mercedes 300TD for years now, so I know the on-ramp struggle well. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

:nabble_smiley_good: There are probably a few similarities between the 300 and that diesel, definitely both of the tortoise not the hare variety...

:nabble_smiley_good: There are probably a few similarities between the 300 and that diesel, definitely both of the tortoise not the hare variety...

I got to ask a question?

Why a good breathing intake manifold to fill the motor with air but then choke it down as it cant get the air out thru that factory log exh manifold?

I would at least go with EFI manifolds if not a header.

I would take the exh manifold off and lay the 2 together on a flat bench to see just how much the bolt washer area difference is. If to much you will need to come up with something to fix it.

I am running the factory stock intake & carb with EFI exh manifolds.

Dave ----

I got to ask a question?

Why a good breathing intake manifold to fill the motor with air but then choke it down as it cant get the air out thru that factory log exh manifold?

I would at least go with EFI manifolds if not a header.

I would take the exh manifold off and lay the 2 together on a flat bench to see just how much the bolt washer area difference is. If to much you will need to come up with something to fix it.

I am running the factory stock intake & carb with EFI exh manifolds.

Dave ----

The intake is because I’m going with the Sniper EFI. I’m certainly not opposed to it. I haven’t looked into what modifications I’d have to do with the exh manifold upgrade, but I did see something (and it was referenced earlier) about getting a heat transfer set up? Is there something off the shelf that helps with that?

The intake is because I’m going with the Sniper EFI. I’m certainly not opposed to it. I haven’t looked into what modifications I’d have to do with the exh manifold upgrade, but I did see something (and it was referenced earlier) about getting a heat transfer set up? Is there something off the shelf that helps with that?

Using a gasket, which goes between the stock exhaust and intake manifold [just under the carburetor] as a template, one can cut a piece of 3/8" aluminum [or steel] and drill out the three holes for the bolts which hold the two manifolds together. This plate is then drilled and tapped for fittings [usually elbow]. A new gasket needs to be made as the original one, used as a template, is designed to hold in exhaust gasses, not hot coolant. Splice this heating plate into the heater hose going to the heater core. The circulating heated coolant will heat the area directly under the carburetor.

Some have suggested that if EFI exhaust manifolds are used, and the manifolds have bungs for EGR purposes, one could make a similar plate [as described above], but pipe it so that exhaust gasses pass under the carburetor. This is how VW heated the remotely mounted carburetor on the older air cooled engines.

Using a gasket, which goes between the stock exhaust and intake manifold [just under the carburetor] as a template, one can cut a piece of 3/8" aluminum [or steel] and drill out the three holes for the bolts which hold the two manifolds together. This plate is then drilled and tapped for fittings [usually elbow]. A new gasket needs to be made as the original one, used as a template, is designed to hold in exhaust gasses, not hot coolant. Splice this heating plate into the heater hose going to the heater core. The circulating heated coolant will heat the area directly under the carburetor.

Some have suggested that if EFI exhaust manifolds are used, and the manifolds have bungs for EGR purposes, one could make a similar plate [as described above], but pipe it so that exhaust gasses pass under the carburetor. This is how VW heated the remotely mounted carburetor on the older air cooled engines.

Yeah, that’s where I’m going to have trouble. I’m in the city and don’t have the room, tools or experience to be able to knock that out even as simple as it sounds. Time is of the essence too - there’s no way my wife is going to allow me to take her spot in the garage (or spend any more time in the garage than what I’ve already “negotiated”) for much more time.

Yeah, that’s where I’m going to have trouble. I’m in the city and don’t have the room, tools or experience to be able to knock that out even as simple as it sounds. Time is of the essence too - there’s no way my wife is going to allow me to take her spot in the garage (or spend any more time in the garage than what I’ve already “negotiated”) for much more time.

An Industrial machine shop could whip something like that in little or no time at all.

I am also with Dave on the exhaust manifold, you need to give some thought to getting the exhaust un restricted as possable to relise the full potential of that after market EFI. The stock exhaust may make it run worse.

Just a thought.

An Industrial machine shop could whip something like that in little or no time at all.

I am also with Dave on the exhaust manifold, you need to give some thought to getting the exhaust un restricted as possable to relise the full potential of that after market EFI. The stock exhaust may make it run worse.

Just a thought.

Just a thought for you to consider. Ford's research from the 70s and 80s showed that using an exhaust manifold gasket on a 300 leads to cracking and warping of those long exhaust manifolds. Therefore, Ford only ran a paper intake gasket and NO exhaust gasket. That's why the flange thicknesses are different. All you want is a thin film of graphite grease on the face of the exhaust manifold when you mount it to the head.

The cylinder head (on any engine) acts as a heat sink for the exhaust manifold. A gasket insulates the manifold and causes it to run hotter than without a gasket.

Just a thought for you to consider. Ford's research from the 70s and 80s showed that using an exhaust manifold gasket on a 300 leads to cracking and warping of those long exhaust manifolds. Therefore, Ford only ran a paper intake gasket and NO exhaust gasket. That's why the flange thicknesses are different. All you want is a thin film of graphite grease on the face of the exhaust manifold when you mount it to the head.

The cylinder head (on any engine) acts as a heat sink for the exhaust manifold. A gasket insulates the manifold and causes it to run hotter than without a gasket.

Oh man... That’s what I had read somewhere else too. So, I should just grab the intake gasket it sounds like.

Oh man... That’s what I had read somewhere else too. So, I should just grab the intake gasket it sounds like.

Welp, ya’ll talked me into it. Just ordered all the parts for the EFI exhaust. Hopefully I’ll have this all set up in 2 weeks. I’m sure there will be questions...

Thanks for all the advice!!!